“Best tikka masala”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Denver
“Best tikka masala”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

They make the best tikka masala.Prices are reasonable being in downtown.I would highly recommend.Don't forget to try their carrot pudding.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Robcab

“Best Indian”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

If you are looking for authentic Indian food-this is the place.Best Indian food in Denver.

2 Thank Bobhe
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Mediocre meal”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Myself and four colleagues went to India House in hopes of finding a good Indian meal. The food here was average. The prices were high. And the service was slow.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank JTokar
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Don't spend your hard-earned money here!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We ate here with some friends who wanted to try it and boy do I have a lot to say about it. It was a Sunday night and there were about 3-4 other patrons in the restaurant. Our whole experience was terrible - first of all the restaurant was FREEZING. The other tables were complaining as well and I heard a waitress tell her table that others had complained and she didn't know why they wouldn't turn the heat up.

Other than the cold, there were these little black fruit type flies that kept flying around our table. Makes me wonder what's going on in the kitchen if the flies were migrating out to the front of the house.

My husband and one of our friends each got a fancy martini, which took about 10-15 minutes to arrive. When they finished those, they each ordered another (before our food came to the table). By the time the second drinks arrived, we were completely done eating and ready for the bill. Um, hello. By that time there was one other table of people. Was the bar that busy? They pounded them so we could leave.

Here's the kicker of my night at India House:

I ordered the house salad for $6. It was very nicely presented, came with tomatoes, fresh cauliflower, cucumbers and carrots and a yogurt dressing. There's this little line of cut up green things in the middle of it, same exact color as the lettuce. I look at one of them (about the same size and diameter of a pencil eraser) and I think to myself, "Huh, I know I saw okra on the menu, maybe this is a little piece of baby okra or something," so I pop it in my mouth. Holy CRAP - it was a pepper. AND IT WAS HOT. We're not talking pepperocini. My mouth was on FIRE. I have never had something so hot in my mouth before. I had tears coming out my eyes. Unfortunately, we were with our friends so I didn't want to spit it out and I'd chewed it before I realized it was killing me in my mouth. I asked our crappy waitress very nicely about it and mentioned that they might want to warn diners that there's a very hot pepper in the GARDEN SALAD, and she shrugs her shoulders and says, "I don't know, some people like things hot. They are jalapenos." And that was the end of that. I have to say I've never seen jalapenos that small and thin. They looked suspiciously like serrano chilis, and besides that, who puts raw chili peppers in the middle of an unsuspecting, average garden salad that didn't even have onions on it?

Moving on, I ordered the curry coconut shrimp which was $20. It came in this little bowl with about 6-8 smaller size shrimp in it and tons of sauce. One little bowl of rice accompanied it. FOR $20. No other side veggies or bread. You even have to pay for the Nan, which is like, flour and water. When our food came, the top of my curry shrimp was sort of crusted over, like it had been sitting in the kitchen for a while (like the skin pudding gets on it when it cools). This, I'm sure was the waitress' fault, but it bears mentioning. She was a supremely crappy waitress for a restaurant that had hardly anyone in it. I'm pretty sure we were her only table.

I will say - all of the food was very tasty. This is the ONE good thing I can say about this restaurant. However, for the price it was ridiculous for what you got. Our total bill was $166 for a table of 4. Not including tip. I don't know what my husband tipped, but I hope it wasn't much.

We will NOT be going back to the India House.

• Visited October 2011
Denver, Colorado
“Don't be sucked in with a groupon, bad service, average food, $$$$$$$”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Was craving Indian food, but was very disappointed. Noticed everyone around us using groupons. My guess is that this is the only way they have business. $16 for small chicken dish, $10 basket of bread, $12 for a beer, and very slow non-knowledgeable wait staff. A restaurant that has been around for years should not have to rely on groupons to stay in business, unless they are bad........

• Visited October 2011