“Lovely restaurant, great service, great food”
Review of Bistro Vendome

Bistro Vendome
Ranked #53 of 3,553 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 14th Street
Reviewed December 24, 2018

We picked this particular restaurant because the menu was excellent. With a diverse party of 6, each person was able to find something they enjoyed. We loved the restaurant, and Larimer street was beautifully lit. We used the valet parking which made parking stress free, during the holiday season.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed December 7, 2018

We have eaten both dinner and Sunday brunch at this Rocky Mountain bistro on multiple occasions and feel that we can comfortable reviewing this restaurant. Here is a quick summary:
1. The restaurant is hidden in a courtyard off Larimer Street, which has some charm. It is immediately across the street from Rioja, its sister restaurant.
2. If you are driving you can pull up to Rioja for valet parking ($10 plus tip) and just walk across the street which is very convenient.
3. The restaurant is owned by Chef Jennifer Jasinski- winner of the 2013 James Beard Best Chef Southwest Award and a semi-finalist for the 216 James Beard Best Chef Award.
4. The restaurant has great ambiance in the bar, main dining area and the patio. As you would find in a Parisian bistro, the tables are closely packed together.
5. The dress code, like many Denver area restaurants, is relaxed with most diners being casual (three of our four diners wore jeans) to business casual with scattered diners being smartly dressed.
5. While the restaurant has Parisian influences, it is not a classic Parisian menu and many "foodie purists" expecting an exact replica of Parisian food will be disappointed. This is reflected in a number of reviews where diners are disappointed that the menu does not reflect their dining experience in Paris.
6. The menu is divided into Hors D'Oeuvres that includes a daily cheese board, Primary Plates, Steak Frites, Salads, Small Plates and Desserts. On this evening our party had the onion soup (excellent), Crepe Vendome (excellent), duck confit (very good), scallops (very good), steak frites (excellent) and creme brulee (excellent). For those that have not tried the unusual take on their French fries, I would strongly recommend them- in my opinion they are excellent.
7. Service was excellent and friendly- certainly better than anything that we experienced in three trips to Paris (I also lived there for four years).
8. While I highly recommend this restaurant, I have two caveats that you need to take into account before dining here. First as other reviews have reported, the portions are not large- do not expect a giant slab of beef or lamb as most Americans are used to. However, many will find the portions adequate if you have an appetizer or salad course, main course and a dessert. Second, in my opinion some of the items are slightly oversalted. This is of course a matter of opinion and some will find the salt levels suited to their taste.

Date of visit: December 2018
2  Thank Fitz48
Reviewed December 4, 2018

What a lovely, lovely restaurant, nestled in a gorgeous alleyway off the main thoroughfare of Larimer Square. When eating at a French restaurant, why did I order steak? I could not resist the Steak au Poivre and found it a bit too peppery, as did a companion who ordered the same meal. The ladies ordered more French cuisine and were delighted with their choices. I did have an accompanimant of the Frites, and they were delicious, as advertised, and would eat here again just for another try.

Reviewed December 3, 2018

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely dinner at this intimate, nearly Parisian bistro. Ambience, food and service were all at the same high level. The moules, as well as the beet and date salad were very fine starters, the former in a light, not too garlicky broth while the latter was nicely proportioned and perfectly dressed. The duck confit was just as it should be -- falling off the bone tender and well seasoned. Its accompaniments, which included turnips three ways, were welcome pairings. The steak frites (au poivre in our case) was a simple affair, just as it should be, and done to a turn. The potatoes were crisp, salty and plentifull. The wine, recommended by our server, was an excellent choice (though I can't recall what it was). All in all, Bistro Vendome is a keeper.

Reviewed November 28, 2018

I was invited to Bistro Vendome on a first date and it made a wonderful first impression! It is a quaint little bistro that could very well have been on the streets of Paris. In addition to the lovely romantic ambiance, I was thoroughly impressed with the food and service. We tried the escargot and halibut found them both to be delicious and delectable!

1  Thank 341marlenas