“A bit funky”

Ranked #696 of 3,256 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Five Points
Description: The Mercury Cafe is powered by the Wind and the Sun. We serve Local, Organic Food, and Community is our purpose. We offer live music, dancing, poetry, theater and over 100 events each month.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The neighborhood is somewhat sketch and the building is a mess on the outside, but the food was surprisingly good. Not a place for your pre-teens, but all in all a good experience

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We visited here during restaurant week. It was the night of a snowstorm, so the place was pretty much empty. I can say that the decor/ambiance was really neat, very cozy and inviting. The staff was very strange and the service was below par. Especially for it being so dead that night. I even had to bus our table because we had empty plates in front of us for over 20 min. I almost went behind the bar to refill my own wine, but the other server ended up getting for me. Also, they had a very poor selection of wine. I ended up having a Riesling because that's all they had that night, and it was terrible. The food was mediocre at best.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Spent a day with a friend that lives in the area and decided to try the Mercury as she is vegetarian. Fun, funky atmosphere and a winde range of vegetarian meals. The food was a little slow coming out of the kitchen, but the waitress was very attentive, coffee and water brought over frequently. The food is good, if not awe inspiring. Tried the Cuba Caribe and loved it. And how many resaurants can one go to and enjoy a big band concert or take lindy lessons in the evening.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

A grandson took us here as a "treat" as it is considered, among the young and hip, to be the ultimate dining experience. The treat turned out to be more of a trick, and an unpleasant one which took a lot of fake smiling and pushing around food on the plate. The coffee was never more than lukewarm and the Huevos Rancheros, a longtime favorite at most restaurants, was more like Pseudo Rancheros with some unrecognizable ingredients and a rubber egg. My husband's French toast was tough and hard to cut through (how can that be?) The atmosphere was definitely aging hippie and looked as if it just needed to be phased out and forgotten with some kind of new beginning needed. However, if you note the title above maybe the problem is just Grandma! (That's me...)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

After a busy night of fighting crime, it's nice to have a place where you can hang your fedora and reload your pistols, know what I mean?

Well, the Mercury Cafe is a great, fun place to hang out at night; but with some caveats: You'd want to go to have fun, enjoy the plays and performances and concerts and quaint little goings-on.

The wait staff are usually polite enough folk. I remember one waitress who helped us must have had more piercings than a tackle-box. Sometimes you wait long enough to do your taxes and other times, it's just a few minutes. Hit or miss.

The food is another matter. I've ordered at this place several times already, and the "chef" must have a palette like a donkey's back-side because his or her meals are not fit to feed the poor quivering prisoners on death row. I wouldn't feed my dog the dross they put out on plates and charge double-rate for.

Also, beware the parking and neighborhood. Downtown Denver is quickly turning into "homeless city USA," and this particular area is a hotbed for panhandlers (God bless 'em), but also some dangerous-looking car-jackers and creepy stalker-types. The street parking is a royal pain in the tuchis, and the food is enough to make you cough up an adam's apple if you try to digest it.

But, we don't go to the Mercury Cafe for it's regurgitated-bile cooking. No... In fact, I've read quite a few comments about the Merc's little biscuits. Mrs. Shadow love 'em. To me, it's like biting into a literal sand mud-pie: it's got the consistency of sand, tastes like warm gravel and costs $3 for something the size of a baby's fist. I was so worried my teeth were being grinded down that I actually got up to visit the fetid Mens' Room to check the ol' choppers. Not cool.

Also, don't bother trying to schedule events at this place. The "Manager," doesn't respond to e-mails, does not keep a log book and doesn't share event planning withe the staff. We scheduled an event w/ 20 people only to get booted out a few days later when we called to check. Then, when we were moved to another part of the cafe nobody bothered to write it down or pass it on to anyone. How professional.

We go to the charming little Mercury Cafe for its poetry slams, quirky folk concerts, yoga classes, tai ho (or whatever form of self-defense they're hustling that week) upstairs, writing groups, film showings, pointless political rallies (pardon the depressed activist-crime fighter motif here), astronomy club meetings, "green" festivals, and so forth. That's why we go, true believers. And that's why we'll continue to patronize this quaint little hole in the wall, slice 'o Denver.

But it ain't, it sure ain't, for the food...or for planning any events.

2  Thank Lamont C

Been to Mercury Cafe? Share your experiences!