“A bit above average”
Review of Luca

Luca
Reserve with OpenTable
Luca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #315 of 3,094 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Cross street: 7th
Description: Opened in February 2003, Luca is where food marries art. Chef Frank Bonanno features house-made salumi, a variety of fresh breads, pastas and cheeses. The menu reflects authentic Italian dishes inspired by the Piedmont, Tuscan and Sicilian regions, all prepared with the season's finest ingredients.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is my second time at this restaurant. Last time I was there was greater than 8 years ago. Back then it was average and at my recent dinner, I have to say it was just about the same. I will say that the service was excellent as well as the wine list. The food was just not there. Started with a meat and cheese platter and it was good. Our main courses were also good. But, I was looking for something more, and this restaurant just didn't deliver.
I think the thing that bothered me the most was the actual space of the restaurant. Plane and somewhat ugly. Drywall with differently painted walls. The window into the kitchen was a dirty looking pane with wood frame. The kitchen looked like another room that was used as a kitchen rather than a commercial kitchen. We could also see the waiters waiting around for the dishes to be made. It was just a little "weird." This place really needs some professional design help.
With that being said, locals do love this place, so maybe it is just me. I had an average experience here and will return in another 8 years to see if it is different to me.

1  Thank Andrew K

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We live in Denver, and this is our favorite Italian cuisine destination. Chef Frank Bonnano and his team have never let us down. The menu changes regularly to feature seasonal specialties. The specials never disappoint. Menu options are classic Italian fare from throughout the peninsula. The Bolognese is outstanding. The atmosphere is perfect for dropping in to have primi piatti at the bar, or to reserve a table for a great meal with friends.
Park with the Valet (courtesy) around the corner in front of Mizuna (another Bonnano kitchen to savor some other evening) on the north side of 7th, west of Grant. With three Bonnano restaurants and other popular restaurants in the neighborhood, parking can be a challenge without the valet.
The staff takes delight in the description, preparation, and presentation of traditional Italian masterpieces and in navigating the extensive wine selections. If you play your schedule right you can visit during an evening of wine flights. Everyone is so knowledgeable and courteous. This is the top of Denver's Italian list. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I travel a lot on business, and when people learn I am from Denver, they invariably ask me: "What is your favorite restaurant"? My honest reply is always, "I don't have a favorite restaurant, I have a favorite chef, and his name is Frank Bonnano."

Luca d'Italia is one of Frank's earliest creations in his burgeoning pantheon of culinary delights. It has been open about a dozen years, and never ceases to amaze and please my wife and me. They make all their own pasta, salumi, and about everything else. The wine list is all Italian and world class. The service warm, inviting and world class.

I would recommend anyone visiting Denver to search out Luca, or any of Franks other great concepts, which can be found at Bonnano Concepts on Facebook.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Luca is always one of our favorites, and the food, as always, reigned supreme on this occasion. The menu, while changing subtly, remains consistently outstanding, and should the fusilli ever disappear, we may not be able to account for our behaviour. The wine list is extensive, although some selections are overpriced for the product. The service is attentive and the staff are informed and knowledgeable. The interior is peaceful and lends itself well to quiet conversation and relaxation for the most part..... On this particular occasion, we were seated next to a party that was a bit loud and atypically for Luca, somewhat more "energetic" than I would hope for in that setting. But the staff appeared to try to do damage control as well as they could. Some customers are simply not aware. I come back to Luca over and over again for the food and the dignity with which Frank Bonnano always conducts his outstanding work.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We've eaten at Luca many times, and we are never disappointed. The food is exquisite, the wait staff efficient and personable, and the ambiance delightful. This is always my pick when we have a special occasion or friends we want to treat.