“Wonderful!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuba Cuba cafe & bar
Ranked #147 of 2,977 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Cuban
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Wonderful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

My friend and I went to Cuba Cuba for my birthday and were pleasantly surprised. We expected a good meal and it was really really good! We had empanaditas (manchego and spinach--two tiny dumplings), then saladas cubana (great avocado dressing with hearts of palm and tomatoes) and tropicana (mango,pineapple and standard salad items), plus grilled grouper. Desert was cholocata quatro leches. Wonderful meal! I would happily go back another time for some of the other entrees. No candle for my birthday (ut I'm past that age) Go go go!

• Visited September 2012

Denver, Colorado
“always good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

we have been numerous times to eat dinner here. it is a favorite for my daughter's birthday. we hadn't been for quite a while and were pleasantly surprised to find, that although some favorite items were gone, the ones on the menu were really very tasty. all the food, from tapas through chocolate quatro leche dessert were cooked to perfection, the sauces were wonderful and the mojitos powerful (according to the ladies). however, maybe the most impressive aspect of the restaurant was the exceptionally nice, polite and attentive wait staff. these young ladies worked very diligently, with humor and consideration. when one person wanted the vegetarian dish, our waitress suggested unless he was a vegetarian, he might enjoy something else more. another suggested an unknown beer for one of our party and said "if you don't like it, no problem, no charge" this is the kind of place that makes eating out enjoyable.
my only semi-negative: no reservations. we wanted to eat outside, but after an hour of waiting, we gave up. i wish places still took reservations, but they may be gone the way of the rotary phone (or all land lines) we'll be back sooner than later

• Visited August 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Delicious and Filling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family had already visited Cuba Cuba twice and had raved about it and tonight I finally go to join them. It is a cute little place in what looks like two remodeled 1950’s era homes joined together. Everyone’s food was excellent; I especially enjoyed the Vaca Frita and the spicy Coconut Shrimp. The only reason this place does not get a “5” is that it was loud (many patrons drinking mojitos) and the service was good but not quite as attentive or quick as I would have liked. Neither of those problems will keep me from going back to Cuba Cuba again.

• Visited August 2012
Colorado
“Buenaso!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Very delicious gourmet renditions of Cuban staples. Many delicious cocktails. They seem to be known for their sangria and mojitos, but there are many delectable libations worth trying. Everytime I've been (which has always been around dinner or later, during the week), it's been quite busy, but my wait has never been longer than 45 min. I've even spent an entire evening with a friend at the bar, ordering drinks and food. Their ceviche is great, as it should be, and DEFINITELY have at least one kind of dish featuring plantains ... and of course, dessert.

Visited August 2012
Peripatetic: you name it
“Wonderful atmosphere, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I've eaten here several times over the last few years and it is consistently excellent food, wonderful service, good drinks, and a fun but not overwhelming atmosphere. The meat is prepared well, seasoned to perfection and paired with interesting side dishes. The yuca fries were a bit disappointing in light of the other standouts on the plate--plantains, meat, a wonderful version of coleslaw. It is tough to make yuca interesting, I get it, but it can be done. The mojito is not too sweet, which was a lovely surprise. I recommend this place for a well prepared meal with an atmosphere where you can hear your dining companions and enjoy attentive but not overwhelming service.

Been to Cuba Cuba cafe & bar? Share your experiences!