“Good margaritas and salsa”

Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #226 of 3,109 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 16th Street Mall
Reviewed August 24, 2013

very refreshing on a hot day. Had margarita to start, nice and cold and strong. Fresh salsa was excellent. The chips were thing and crispy and not greasy. Entrees were satisfying and tasty.

Julie S, General Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for the great review & Go Packers - well, unless they're playing the Broncos of course! I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you're visiting Denver.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Rio has a great patio, so we chose to sit outside. Ordered margs (limit three due to octane level) and had fresh hot chips and salsa at our table immediately. Ordered guac, which is hand mashed and in house made...super yum. Then it started pouring. We hung on as long as we could under the umbrella; the servers continued to check on us, soaking wet, until we decided to jump inside. I had open faced shrimp tacos, hubby had mahi mahi tacos, sister had chicken tacos. Every plate was licked clean.

Julie S, General Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thanks very much for the review, and I'm pleased to hear the sudden Colorado downpour didn't dampen your Rio visit! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I took some out of country guests here for a different dinner. The food is much better than most large Mexican restaurants, but not as good as my little local Mexican place.
They used to offer call ahead seating, but do not now. It would be very nice if they brought that back.
The service is average. They are very friendly, but not as attentive as I would like.
The margaritas are so good! They taste good, but you can hardly taste the alcohol. However, you can feel it when you finish! They are strong!
I enjoy going on my own and you take people there again especially if you are tired of steakhouses.

I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Rio with your visitors from outside the U.S. We do offer reservations, either by calling the restaurant at 303.623.1611 or via our website www.riograndemexican.com/denver, and will look to whether we can reinstate call ahead seating in addition to reservations. We are also continually making adjustments to our serving standards in order to achieve the right level of attention to detail for every guest. Our goal for your future visits is to make our service reach the same heights as our famous margaritas & delicious food. Let us know how we are doing at any time; we appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This place had great food, but even better Margaritas. You are limited to 3 bc of their strength. So our group couldn't get a pitcher to split but they were so delicious. Sat in the cute little outdoor area near 16th st mall.

Julie S, General Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you so much for the review Megan. I'm really pleased you got to enjoy our famous margs, delicious food & patio - the three are a definitely a classic Colorado experience. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in town!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Places like this have a love/hate relationship with their community. I have friends that go here every week so I had to come along. The margaritas are the deal here and quite good. The food is high quality and while not completely traditional, it was very good. The salsa atomica took my breath away, but people that like hot stuff rave about it. Perhaps the best guacamole I've had in years. It's a busy, busy place at lunch so expect to wait unless you get there early. The highlight was the waiter. Doug should be working in 5-star someplace. He is the best waiter I've had this year. I would go back just for him.

Julie S, General Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. I will be sure to pass on to Doug the great review. He has been with us for almost two decades and is definitely a prime example of the hospitality we strive for every day. We look forward to seeing you again soon!