“Too Much Fluff, Not Enough Food!”
Review of 1515 Restaurant

1515 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1515 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #218 of 3,084 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 15th Street
Transit: Take Light Rail to 16th Street Mall and take Mall shuttle to Market Street Station. Within walking distance to all major downtown hotels, convention center and ball parks.
Description: 1515 Restaurant serves seasonal Modern American/Continental cuisine. Join us in our elevated dining room and taste for yourself why our kitchen team was invited to cook at the prestigious James Beard House in 2010. We offer a diverse menu showcasing local items such as lamb, steak, wild game and 7X Wagyu Beef. 1515 Has been awarded Wine Spectator's "Award of Excellence" with the distinction of "Great Value" every year since 2001. We have an in-house Sommelier to help pair any of our 500+ wines with our seasonally changing menu. Chef Joseph Arena loves to create in the kitchen and happily accommodate special diets, including vegetarians, celiac-free, vegans and gluten-free. We are located within walking distance from all major downtown hotels.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family went out for dinner there last week. We have been to 1515 before for drinks, but not food.

The waiter greeted us. He was polite, but a bit too formal (unfriendly!), and I swear he was a speed talker. No one at the table could understand him and he had to repeat everything three times before we could understand him. I finally asked him if he could possibly speak a bit slower because our brain was not fast enough to process what he was saying.

Our daughter who is a vegetarian ordered the House Ricotta Gnudi. It looked good, but it had too much Gnudi and very little vegetable. Since she is also watching her carb intake, she ate but a few of them. So we tried to have a few Gnudi, however, most of them were overcooked. The waiter offered to change the dish, but there were no other vegetarian dish on the menu, so she passed. They comped her dish, but that is not why one goes out to eat. We mush rather pay for the meal, but get something edible.

My wife ordered the fish special. It was flavorful, but it was less than 4 ounces, so she filled up with bread.

I ordered the Bouillabaisse Americana. I have had this dish in many different places, including San Francisco. It is usually served with rich broth, soup like, and full of seafood. Since I don't care for clams and mussels that much, I asked the server if the would leave them out and substitute any other seafood. He said he had to ask the chef! Very strange for a fancy restaurant! He came back and said they could do substitute, however, it would cost $3.00 more!!! Imagine, for a $32.00 dish, an upscale restaurant cannot make a simple substitute and must charge another $3.00!!! This was the first time I have been to any restaurant which considers itself to be a high-class one that had to charge for a substitute, as if there was not enough "FAT" in the $32.00 price tag for them.

Talking about "FAT", this was the smallest Bouillabaisse I have ever had. Like all other dishes, the meal was served in a HUGE plate with a cup size center for the food. I would say what I was served could easily be fit in a small soup cup. It was tasty, but hardly had any broth, which is the main ingredient for a Bouillabaisse dish. It is sad that one has to eat bread to fill himself up (we all did) after spending $32 on a dish!

The restaurant atmosphere was good, but the main restaurant is on the 2nd level, and to get to it, you must go through their bar area which looked very poor with peeling off floor paint and old furnishing.

If you are looking for fluff, you might give this restaurant a try. If you are looking for a decent, high quality food, you may want to consider other restaurants in the downtown area, and Squeaky Bean should not be one of those. It is as if both restaurants' chefs have gone to the same culinary school: attractive presentation, very little food, and way out of like prices for what you get.

1  Thank 685BruceS
There are newer reviews for 1515 Restaurant

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Ordered a cheese plate and found a random hair on my plate, eeewww. Then requested the filet mignon and that's the only thing that was good. Waiter was being annoying by hovering around the table every other minute. And when I needed him for my check, was no where to be found. I have things to do instead of wasting time sitting and staring at the wall. I was pretty disappointed, especially with these expensive prices. I won't come back ever again...

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This place was excellent!!! We were visiting from Florida and we had wanted to go to somewhere that had a interesting menu and something to remember. Starting from the amuse-bouche everything was so creative and so full of flavor. Apps like Wagyu Beef being served with the river rock was so cool. The Seared Foie Gras was one of our favorites, so good we could have had it for an App, Entrée and Dessert. We had the duck, fruit de mer, and lamb at the table, not one unhappy mouth!! Desserts were also fantastic, I loved the taste of Vanilla and the Elvis chocolate bar was also pretty darn good too! Just really enjoyed every minute of it. Will not forget! Hope to come back to Denver again and this will be definitely be one of my stops!

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a top notch restaurant that has excellent service and great food. The duck short rib and lamb are all fantastic.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

For an affordable, elegant, business lunch with attentive, but unobtrusive, staff this second floor dining room is a winner. I reserve but likely would not have to. Food consistently excellent with a small menu that features appetizers, a soup and salads, plus several appetizing entrees. Linens ultra white, silverware, glassware polished. Locals card for every sixth lunch free! If you do as we do and seek restaurants ranked down the Trip Advisor ratings scale from the primo spots, 1515 and young chef, Garron Teich, might be worth a try! Would not have written about this based on lunch only experiences except to make sure TA readers know I have always found the place to be impeccably clean, women's restroom included! Still have not ventured in for the evening experience, which features a chef's tasting menu and reportedly innovative, tasty, and sometimes edgy cuisine. Chef uses a marinaded then pressure cooked (sous vide?) technique for at least one menu item. Will review again if we get there a few times!

1  Thank Highhikers

Been to 1515 Restaurant? Share your experiences!