“Poor Service”

Bastien's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bastien's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #207 of 3,016 Restaurants in Denver
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Park
Cross street: Madison and Colfax
Transit: We are located five blocks west of Colorado Blvd
Description: Evocative of the 1960's-style steakhouses of the time, Bastien's has a truly timeless atmosphere. With its circular dining room spanning three levels, a classic piano and a high ceiling, this restaurant is the longest continuously owned eatery in the state of Colorado, with the same family behind its success for over 70 years. There is enough room to seat over 100 people to comfortably enjoy a meal or buffet and if you're looking to host a private party, the top floor of Bastien's is the ideal spot for any occasion or event. Meat lovers are well-catered for, with a range of beef tenderloin, prime rib and T-bones on offer alongside the house speciality - The succulent New York strip steak, with a sugar glaze that savours the juices and seizes the flavour.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Poor Service”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Outside the place looks a bit like a dive, but on the inside, a very unique quaint ambience about it. Hostess who was the women I called to inform we would be late for your reservation by a few minutes had nice phone etiquette and very pleasant in person. Our server on the other hand, maybe a bad day or burnt out, but never the less for the price per plate, she should at least try. I was left with the feeling that perhaps she either misjudged us, because we were younger then perhaps the normal crowd that frequents there. After reading amazing reviews on how great the steaks were, I was honestly so excited to eat here after a few days of camping and PB&Js, I couldn't be more ready for a delicious steak. The Sugar Steak and my fiance's steak was just merrr - uh okay.... not at all what I was expecting... All I can say is I did not have a Groupon I would have been extremely upset for paying that much for mediocre food and very poor service. If you have a caesar salad that is the restaurants own personal twist you should probably inform guests of this, also finding another servers blonde hair in on my plate I could have gone with out. Also when another staff member refilled my dates water it tasted ridiculously salty, so when we finally was able to flag down our server, she barely paused as we tried to politely tell her about it as she snatched the glass and left. I apologize for not informing the server that we had a Groupon, but please try to hide your disgust in front of us as you had to adjust the bill. We would have been happy to tip you 20% before the Groupon price had you been a bit more pleasant. :(

Denver, Colorado
“At least once if you're in Denver”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Well, after driving by a million times, and seeing the iconic neon and "home of the sugar steak" we had to try ... And it's worth the visit at least once. The sugar steak was great, cooked very nicely and lives up to its name. The service, meh, not so great for the price. Drinks are very expensive, and not commensurate with the service level. Not sure how much longer this lion of the Colfax strip will last, so it's worth saying you were there. But it doesn't measure up to modern steak houses at the same price level. Oh, and a quick tip ... like so many restaurants today, they claim to not have reservations available between 5:30-8 p.m. ... there were a ton of empty tables. Just go to OpenTable.com and suddenly, whoa, there's a reservation. I suspect they are in league.

• Visited August 2013
“Great food, service, and neat old building.”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First, the service is just great. From the hostess who took our reservation (which we didn't really need) to our server to the bussers everyone was very friendly. Started with cocktails which were very well made and presented and both ordered steaks. Salads, potatoes, and steaks were all superb. Nice selection of wines, and a wonderful desert. It is a really neat old place. Has a 1950s-1960s vibe without being cheesy. Sat in the sunken part of the dining room which was cozy and private.

Only thing that kept this from being a 5 star review was the prices. Yes, everything is very good, but the prices are rather steep.

Will be back again soon!

Denver, Colorado
“Great Jalapenos Bacon Steak”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have been to Bastien's many times. I love the jalapeno bacon wrapped steak, the strange bread sticks with the spiced butter and most of their food. It is a little pricey and a distance from my part of town, but we end up here every couple of months. It has won all sorts of awards over the years for its steaks. It is a different place, built in the 60's with a retro look for that time, Listening to Frank Sinatra during your meal is a different experience to say the least.

• Visited February 2013
denver, co
“Tasty food - horrible service and prices”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Recently tried this place on a living social deal. Have wanted to try for several years. Jalapeño with cheese and shrimp for appetizer. 4 half jalapeños filled with cream cheese topped with cocktail shrimp. Peppers were raw which was kind of weird. But $12 for just the 4? Yikes. Ribeye was on special. Must have been poor cuts they were trying to unload... Very fatty. Seasoned well. Tasty potato and veggies. But the service was not good. Lots of attitude. Overheard the other server tell her table two specials - we only got one special. I had to ask if they did loaded potato (again, overheard at other table). When I presented coupon at end of meal - big attitude. Makes you scared to think how much inferior everything would have been had she known we had the coupon upfront! Would never return... Best to just cook ribeye at home:)

• Visited June 2013

Been to Bastien's Restaurant? Share your experiences!