“Delightful”
Review of Tamayo

Tamayo
Reserve with OpenTable
Tamayo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 3,108 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th Street
Description: The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm decor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A nice modern take on Southwestern/Mexican food. All 4 of us enjoyed our meals. Portions satisfying, but not overwhelming. The "traditional" guacamole and chips were fresh and tasty. I had the pork carnitas, which had a beautiful presentation, and great flavor. Attractive space, friendly, helpful staff. I would definitely head here again the next time I am in Denver.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We ate at the bar. Happy hour is highly recommended. Little plates included seviche and other mexican tapas and tacos. Eclectic. Great variety of tequilas served with terrific segrita.

2  Thank Jabrd
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We came in during 5280 week without a reservation and had no problem getting seated, it was a little after the normal dinner crowd. We were offered both meus and were happy picking from the 5280 menu. The drinks were excellent and were about on par for pricing for downtown Denver. The food was all excellent and understanding that it is a tasting menu each portion was not very big. But I will say that I was perfectly happy getting a better quality meal than being over loaded with bad food in large quantities. Everything was very good and I would definitely go back again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were in the mood for Mexican and this place was somewhat close to the convention center and we were walking. Very nice looking place and the menu looked good as well. They were not crowded by any means. A little on the pricey side, but appeared to be an upscale mexican restaurant.That's why we were SO disappointed. My husband and I each ordered the traditional margarita ($9 each). It came in a small old fashioned glass and was utterly tasteless! It was restaurant week in Denver, but it was about 8:30pm on Sunday night and we did not want that much to eat as was on their special 3 course restaurant week menu so we ordered the Spicy Crab Guacamole and chips ($16) and each ordered the Mahi Mahi Tacos ($15 each). My husband ordered rice and beans in addition- not sure the price on those. When our guacamole arrived it looked as though they had just opened some canned crab and placed on top of the guacamole. It was by no means spicy and not alot of flavor. And the chips we recieved- well, there were some unbroken ones on top of the pile of crushed chips. Apparently they dumped the contents of the bottom of their chip bag on our plate, the covered it up with a few new chips! We then recieved our tacos. Again BLAH! Nothing tasted bad, it was just that there was no flavor! Even the sauce that came with the tacos had a bit of heat but no flavor! When our waitress asked how everything was I asked for some pico or salsa or something. She brought that and it was flavorless! I have never been so baffled that a mexican restaurant would be this bland! My husbands black beans were straight from the can with no additional seasoning, and the rice was the same! When our waitress returned again, I felt I had to say something. Our service was fine, just the food was not! She relayed our disappointment and comments to the manager (who never came to talk to us) and to the kitchen. She told us that because of restaurant week they may have not paid enough attention to the regular menu items. Seriously???? Isn't that what they serve every day? Did they forget how to season things??? Anyway, we were offered free dessert which we declined. Why bother? They did take off the price of the guacamole and the rice and beans. So we still paid over $50 for a very poor meal. When our driver picked us up to go back to the hotel,he asked where we ate. When we said Tamayo, he said "That place is awful! It's a pretend Mexican restaurant!" I was quite surprised when I read reviews after we had been there to see all the positive ones. Maybe we just hit on a bad night, but I know we will not be revisiting it again when in Denver.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

VERY creative menu; flavorful but most items not too hot. Soups are to die for...butternut squash soup one of the best you'll ever have.
Sauces are a riot of flavors..you'll savor every bite.
We live in the area and are blessed with many fine restaurants and this is one we never miss.
Tamalas for an app should not be missed.
Margys on the high side but high in quality.
Excellent service; waiter knew the menu inside and out.
If Mahi/Mahi on menu, order ASAP.

Been to Tamayo? Share your experiences!