“Disappointing and Expensive”
Review of Tamayo

Tamayo
Reserve with OpenTable
Tamayo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 3,108 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th Street
Description: The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm decor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

For the price, I would have expected more. It was a beautiful October night and we sat outside on the rooftop area. It was very dark and difficult to see. Our server was disinterested at best. We waited quite a while before she took our drink orders. Two of us ordered the pork loin. It was served very rare. I realize it's trendy to serve pork rare, but this was to an extreme. Our server never returned to the table to check to see if our meal was ok. One of my companions did catch her to get another drink and that was delivered by another server. When our server did come back, it was to deliver the bill. She actually fussed at us for not having told her we were getting separate checks. (It was a business dinner.) This was after she just brought the bill without ever asking if we'd like anything or how we'd like to pay. With one beer and the pork, my meal was close to $50. Definitely not worth it. I will not return.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have been going to Tamayo for years and have never been disappointed. It is a great place to take out-of-state guests for a unique menu of South Western quality cuisine. It is located near Larimer square and is a gateway location to historic lodo and a short walk from the magnificent Denver Center for the performing arts. D

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Two recent experiences - a fabulous happy hour with great margaritas and mojitos, snacks very good. Returned for lunch and was equally impressed. Near the convention center!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Food is always creative and delicious. Excellent margaritas. Can't beat their rooftop location in Larimer Square!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Tamayo offers a gourmet approach to Mexican food. It's not the typical "smashed beans and rice" place. The menu is inventive and offers non-traditional twists on some tradtional dishes (I had a dinner where the main course was tacos but the meat had been marinated and then braised) and it was excellent. Prior to the meal we had guacamole and chips..both were very fresh and plentiful. They also offer two salsas with the chips which were both delicious, one had a real bite and the other was mild so everyond in my party of four was happy.

The Margarita's were excellent. I had a (actually two since I wasn't driving) margarita which was frozen and included a hint of mango.

While not inexpensive Tamayo is also not super expensive. The staff were very friendly and efficient (and patient since a couple of people in our party took a little time to make their selection.

I'd go back if I find myself in Denver again

Been to Tamayo? Share your experiences!