“I never give 5 stars”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Highland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

But this one is close to a 5 ! I ordered take-out from here twice on a recent business trip and both were very good to excellent. I tried the half & half the first night with a meatball (great meatballs !). Sauce and pasta were fabulous, but the Ravioli was just ok.
The second night I had the chicken parmesan - and it was the best I've ever had ! Best, period. The spaghetti was obviously home-made as you can't buy it this thick.
Both nights I had the Minestrone soup which was obviously homemade and delicious - strong and hearty. Gave me bread for dipping and a sopped up every drop.
I also tried the Tiramisu, which I was told was homemade - didn't believe them as most restaurants buy it from Sysco foods or the like. In this case I think it was made onsite as it was unique and excellent. Very, very good.
Atmosphere is great if you like old-school in an old neighborhood, which I do. This place has tons of character, and the staff seemed friendly and competent. The gent who took my order was great (Steve) and tends a mean bar. Sharp guy - a real pro. Good prices on all items - $12 first night, $18 the second.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

There used to be several of these but most have closed over the years. With Pagliaci's gone and Gaetanos turned into a steakhouse, this is the best place to go for authentic italian. Service is good and the bartenders are always friendly. Portions are large- we always leave stuffed!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had a great Italian meal at Patsy's with a couple of my photography friends after photographing the beautiful Denver skyline at night. Patsy's is one of Denver's oldest restaurants. It is in a comfortable neighborhood setting. The spaghetti is wonderful. I had the Half and Half. My friend, who is Italian thought that it was as good as his grandma made. I thought that it was delicious as well. Entrees are served with bread and salad or soup. Go with a big appetite. The portions are large. More than likely you will take some home. Service was excellent. Attire is casual. I will return with my family.

1  Thank Radiohutch
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A grumbling in my belly reminded me I had not eaten that day and as if answering my hunger, I passed a small, immaculately kept restaurant, "Patsy's Restaurant.". The bay windows facing the street sparkled red, reflecting garnet bricks.

Letting my impulse rule me, I crossed over the raised threshold, was greeted by a charming young woman in a tuxedo and seated in one of the bay windows with a prime view of the neighborhood. The young woman told me Patsy's Restaurant was the oldest Italian restaurant in the city. I sighed with delight, ordered one glass of white wine, and examined the menu carefully. After placing an order for pasta fagiola, I looked around the restaurant and saw, aside from the hostess, I was the only woman in the building.

Hmmm ...

A loud, white-haired man was seated at the adjacent table. He sat strumming his fingertips, sighing, glancing at his watch every few minutes. About 15 minutes later, another man arrived to share his table. They knew each other, I could tell, but the loud man became louder, and the second man was very quiet, very distinguished, and there were awkward pauses as the loud man tried to fill the silence with loud, forced comments. The second man spoke so softly his companion had to lean forward to hear the sounds.

My pasta fagiola arrived with hot bread - absolutely breathtaking food. I was enjoying the experience so much I ordered a second glass of white wine (Don't judge me! I was on vacation!) and let the classic meal delight my taste buds. I glanced around the restaurant again with a sense of unfamiliar recognition. The two glasses of white wine had mellowed my sharp edges. I sighed, left the server a generous 35% tip (she deserved it!) and wandered back onto the main street to seek another bus.

Later that afternoon I talked with my friend about the restaurant and I laughed out loud when I heard this city had an extensive Mafia background. Patsy's Restaurant is probably a part of that history. It was probably as close as I could get to the Mob without getting my knee caps broken.

Simply outstanding!

4  Thank JRinLasVegas
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I am told Patsy's has been in operation since 1900. The lunch menu is limited to a few very well done items: 2 salads (I had the spinach - great on a very hot day for Denver:100deg!) some pastas and etc. The kicker is the pasta is homemade along with the sauce. The sausage is manufactured somewhere nearby. The neighborhood is somewhat sketchy but appears to be slowly gentrifying. The choice of locals for many years.