“Hip Veg Joint”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of WaterCourse

WaterCourse
Ranked #67 of 2,986 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: WaterCourse has been a Denver staple since 1998, and has been fully vegan since April 2014. WaterCourse specializes in delicious and filling comfort food with many gluten-free and nut-free options. Our featured dishes include Banana Bread French Toast, Street Tacos, and Southern Fried Cauliflower "Chicken" served with Mashed Potatoes & Gravy or Mac & Cheese. Along with our seasonal menu, we offer amazing vegan and gluten-free desserts and milkshakes to top off your meal!
Philadelphia, PA
“Hip Veg Joint”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

On a business trip to Denver, I selected WaterCourse as one of the dinner locations for our team. We arrived a little late for our 7pm reservation, but were promptly seated, (I called ahead to say we were running late). Though I am the lone vegetarian in the group, all found something delicious for dinner. Parking is tough.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Good vegetarian food, with a few issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

During my visit to Denver, I'd visited City O City (5 stars) and was told about the companion restaurant at WaterCourse. So, a friend and I stopped in for lunch. The food was quite good (polenta, artichokes, and spinach dish for me, portabella reuben for my friend), and I really enjoyed the Asher Tree Hugger Organic Amber beer with my meal. I'd definitely stop in again for the quality of the food and the fact that they donate some of their profits to charity, though I liked the food and ambiance at City O City slightly better (I generally prefer funky to upscale.)

A few issues: First, since it was quite busy, with a 30 minute wait, we said we'd take either the counter or a table. After right about 30 minutes, two people who came in after us were seated at the counter. Somehow the person taking names missed that we'd said we were willing to sit at the counter. Getting things like this right move a good restaurant up to an excellent restaurant.

Second, the noise of a full house was an issue. Our server misheard both of our orders and we had to correct him, which is a little frustrating. It was also hard to converse across the table while we were eating. Maybe they've already looked at this and don't have good options, but I'd encourage them to take another look if so.

Third, while the portabella reuben was sizable, the polenta dish was fairly small. I realize the cost of quality food, but I do want to come away from a meal satisfied. It was close, but not quite. I agree with other comments that while the cost is fairly reasonable overall, some portion adjustment would increase the value.

Overall, Denver is lucky to have vegetarian restaurants like this - WaterCourse is certainly worth supporting.

Denver, Colorado
“Hit and miss..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have lived in Denver area several years and have been crazy about Watercourse, then tepid, and after our most recent visits with a Groupon we're moving on.
The food is pretty good, but not worth the price. Today I had the $14 polenta with tomatoes and artichoke, steamed spinach. Not good. Small, dressing was odd, and what was supposed to be vegan smoked gouda was a flavorless tofu slab. Husband had the $11 chicken fried seitan with thick and sparce gravy. Disappointing.
Watercourse used to be one of the only vegetarian places in town, and also used to be really good, but now there are more options to choose from. Worth the drive to Boulder for Native Foods!

“Save yourself”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'm a vegan, quite diffult to dine in public, I know. My meat eater boyfriend booked reservations 2 weeks prior at Water Course for Valentine's Day (730pm) Bc it is known to be very vegan friendly. We get there on time and they tell us "we are backed up and you'll eat first course at the bar and then move to an open table." Ummm, hmm. 40 minutes later (!) they put us on the bar that has a menu on it and no bartender or server in sight. The menu is a pre set menu?! No one told us. The options are not even vegan! We left and told the hostess "this isn't quite the experience we were looking for" to which the she responded "okay". Not sorry, just okay. It wasn't okay to this vegan, celebrating valentines day waiting for her table secured under reservation. Way to blow it, Water Course! Could uou at least be apologetic or service oriented? I will tell my friends...

3 Thank AlliVegan11
Windsor, Colorado, United States
“Great place to eat even if you aren't vegetarian/vegan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Try their desserts. Seriously, just try them. Especially the vegan chocolate cake.The only bad thing about this restaurant is that it's a little noisy sometimes.