“Fabulous start to 2019!!!”
Review of Mizuna

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Cross street: Sherman
Transit: 8th & Grant
Description: Opened in April 2001, Mizuna showcases Frank Bonanno’s dedication to fresh, simple ingredients and seamless service. The menu changes monthly and features dishes that range from local game to peekytoe crab. The fare is imaginative and artistic, but pure, clean flavors render even the most exotic fare familiar. Rated by Zagat’s as one of the top restaurants not just in Colorado, but in the nation, Mizuna is ultimately an American-style restaurant heavy on French technique, influence and philosophy.
Reviewed January 3, 2019

To celebrate NYE, my husband and I chose Mizuna for our dining pleasure. Pleasure it was!

With icy roads and traffic, it was apparent we were going to be 5-10 minutes late for our 9 pm reservation. I called Mizuna to let them know. When no one answered right away I hung up and was surprised someone called me back inquiring of my call. I was told not to worry, be safe and they looked forward to serving us when we arrived! Unbelievable courtesy!

We were 10 minutes late so had to wait a bit for our table. Not surprising as everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves and reluctant to leave. Once escorted to our table, our server Zak introduced himself and explained our menu choices. We opted to each order differently so we could try everything.

Each dish was to die for! I've never had veal sweetbreads. I found out just how tasty those crunchy bits are! The Mizuna Salade was very fresh and light. The pasta dishes-Mushroom & Brie Agnolotti and the House Made Capellini with braised kangaroo were nicely favored, cooked perfectly.

I'm a big scallop fan. The Seared Sea Scallop with the foie gras demi glace did not disappoint. Especially outstanding was the Skuna Bay Salmon with chestnut puree.

For our meat course, we chose the Dry-Aged Beef Tenderloin and the Trio of Pheasant. The Beef Tenderloin was meltingly delicious! As a hunter's daughter, I know pheasant can easily be ruined. Not at Mizuna! It was moist, tender, creatively seasoned and presented.

By dessert I was full but the Sticky Toffee Pudding and the New York Goat Cheesecake were well worth feeling stuffed.

The sommelier, Tim, was very knowledgeable, explaining the wine pairings for each of our dishes. Each of the wines complemented the accompanying dish. I now have a list of new favorites.

The staff was courteous and attentive from the gal who called me back to the valet attendant who pointed out the sidewalk heater for me.

Perfect NYE dinner! I won't wait until New Year's Eve to return!

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank kb51kw69

Reviewed November 3, 2018

Our first visit this past May brought us back for our second visit. Both times we had the Grand Wine Pairing. Six courses with six amazing wines. We have never had Tokaj, thank you for this tasting! I will not describe each course but will tell you that it is exciting not knowing what will be served but well worth the anticipation. To the point, service is top notch and the food is even better. We were surprised and honored to be served a few of the courses by Chef Bonanno. Thank you Jaime and Ryan and thanks for stopping by to say hi Tim. Thank you Chef Bonanno and hopefully we'll see you on our third visit.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank TYOTP
Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

This place did not live up to the other reviews and the photos
Let’s start with the pluses
Ambience was nice and you can hear yourself when you talk
Our waiter Howard was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu
He was very helpful with my food preferences
The first course of foie gras pie and ice cream was good. The home made rolls were delicious
The tuna sashimi plate was okay
The Beef Wellington was quite tasty
however, the scallops were absolutely HORRIBLE
So salty I could barely get a bite in and very over cooked
Of course I sent them back and the wait staff and management offered several times to get me something else but after that I lost my appetite
Definitely not worth the prices
I won’t be back

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went to Mizuna and were greeted with graciousness from the moment we walked in. The drinks were superb. Everything we ate was excellent. I tried a fish I had never eaten which literally melted in my mouth. Well worth it. I highly recommend.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

Mizuna NEVER disappoints! They get everything right: from stellar service, to full food experiences, to little details (like a Happy 13th Anniversary card in our table and Champagne to toast).

For celebration dinners we always do the tasting menu with wine. It’s always a WOW! The best of the best and perfect if you like a variety of items.

For everyday dinners you can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. I particularly lean towards scallops or seasonal fish.

It’s a culinary experience! A must go to that becomes a classic.

Date of visit: June 2018