“tasty, not pretty”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bonita Springs, Florida
“tasty, not pretty”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Confession: I have never eaten Peruvian food before. I wasn't sure what to expect.

What I got: an incredibly tasty dinner that was visually unappealing when it arrived. I ordered something called Tacu Tacu en Lomo Saltado, a dish invented by the black African slaves who worked the coastal cotton and sugar plantations in colonial Peru. This dish of seasoned beans and rice. Menu doesn't mention that there is yummy yummy seasoned filet mignon on top, so be sure to listen to the details from your waiter.

The dish is so seasoned that everything is dark brown. Not visually attractive. But man is it tasty.

Unassuming interior. Live music after 7 pm. (Peruvian musicians/instruments playing ABBA?)

Enjoyable evening. Parking is difficult unless you learn that all the spots along the brick wall of the restaurant labled "Parking for Post Office only". Seems all those spaces are available to restaurant patrons after hours.

• Visited July 2013

Denver, CO
“Mystery "white fish" is tilapia”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Having traveled in Peru & read the TA reviews, I was looking forward to this dining spot. Opted for patio seating on a Saturday evening because the inside was too noisy for easy conversation. Seated promptly at 7pm,but service was slow--they were understaffed for a full house. 20 minute wait to place our drink & meal order, 20 more minutes to receive our drinks (after our appetizer arrived) then we waited another 40 minutes for the main dishes to arrive. Appetizer Tamal al Criole was bland. There are many fish items on the menu and several seafood cerbiche choices, so I thought this was a restaurant with quality fish. Our server assured me the whitefish used in Pescado en Salsa de Cilantro was mahi-mahi, however, nearly an hour later the fish I received was a darkly sauced tilapia (carp). Does the chef or server think that Denverites are so far from the ocean that we don't know from mahi-mahi? Real mahi-mahi is meaty. The soft, thin white filets that I received was tilapia (or it's kissin' cousin catfish). Having waited so long for our entrées to arrive, I didn't bother to return it fearing another 40 minute wait for a substitute. Fortunately the dark cilantro sauce hid the muddy taste of tilapia fairly well. Still, I object to being misled regarding the identity of the fish in the dish. Customers should have the chance to choose a different entrée if they don't care for catfish or tilapia. I notice the menu promises "white fish" which should have been my cue to stick with steak or shrimp. Despite the tasty Pisco Sour and my hubby's tasty quinoa & shrimp dish, we won't be returning. There are other Peruvian places that offer a good Pisco Sour, quicker service, & accurate description, although their décor & soundtrack are less charming.

• Visited June 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Distinctive, tasty food in great atmosphere”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I ate at Taita last week for the first time. It was a quiet Wed. night with few patrons (why, I don't know). I had shrimp/spinach ravioli with an interesting Peruvian pepper sauce -- mildly hot/spicy, and flavorful, rich, yummy. He had beef medallions (he said they tasted like pot roast, not filet) with interesting vegetables and spices/peppers. Very good but not great. The building is an old store or something with exposed brick walls, high ceiling, dark carpet and simple wood tables. Attractive bar near the front, and room at the back for a small band. Knowledgeable, friendly server, good wine list by the glass, and lots of seafood items on the menu (who knew)? The mango whipped pie was delicious, light, and fluffy, different from any other fruity pie I've ever had. Nice. Great for couples, groups of friends. Could be a noisy space when it's full -- but it was a quiet night for us and we enjoyed that. Parking on street can be a real challenge!

• Visited May 2013
Denver, Colorado
“perfect peruvian”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

tried to get to Taita during restaurant week but never made it. This place is truly a great place to go, eat, & relax. Very peaceful setting with great service. Food is awesome.

• Visited May 2013
“Gorgeous restaurant with an authentic Peruvian menu and wonderful service”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Taita is a charming, inviting restaurant. There is a patio outside the entrance and when you walk in - you are transported! We had made reservations and were seated promptly.

Three of the six of us have been to Peru and were looking forward to reliving some memories. Beginning with a Pisco Sour, the night just got better! BTW, you MUST have a Pisco Sour!!!

The Causa was gorgeous and delicious! The marinade on the Tiradito was divine. My only critiques are the fish could have been sliced more elegantly, thinner to lend more of a melt in your mouth texture. Also, pretty much ever dish, while delicious, lacked salt!

We all had different entrees - I really didn't want to share my lomo saltado! It was a perfect blend of a delicious sauce which covered filet mignon, onion, tomatoes & French fries!!! SWOON! PS- I did share ;). We were all delighted with an evening of great food & family. Our water glasses were filled promptly & our server was helpful & courteous. The acoustics were a bit tough as the restaurant filled up & got loud, but that was minor.

We can't wait to return to Taita. I encourage everyone to go visit Peru right in the heart of Denver.