“Cool unknown educational experience”

CELL - The Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab
Ranked #127 of 255 things to do in Denver
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: The Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab (CELL) is dedicated to preventing terrorism through education, empowerment and engagement. As a nonprofit, nonpartisan institution, its one-of-a-kind exhibit, renowned speaker series and training initiatives provide a comprehensive look at the threat of terrorism and how individuals can play a role in preventing it, ultimately enhancing public safety.
Williamsburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Cool unknown educational experience”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was really impressed witht the Cell on my last trip to Denver. I went to the Art and History museums and sort of stumbled upon this little exhibit. Reasonably priced ($5 for student), I decided to check it out. It was really interesting. They had an actual piece of steel from the world trade center which was really powerful. I also loved the informational pieces about children in terrorist organizations, how terrorist groups are funded nad how countries balance freedom and protecting people. I thought it was really thought provoking. It only took me about an hour to go through the exhibit, and I probably could have gone faster if I had been on a time crunch. As a museum lover, I really thought the exhibit offered a new and different take on the traditional format. I loved the high-tech stuff and was impressed by their courage to take on such a difficult subject. I highly suggest visiting.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank KatieM58313

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Keyword: "Education"”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I went into The CELL with mixed and limited expectations - what was it, a terrorism museum? In Denver? Sounds sort of...scary, and weird. But, I had some time to kill between appointments and $8 seemed reasonable enough for an hour and a half, so I checked it out.

Despite my initial concerns, The CELL surprised and wow'd me. Let me say right off the bat, The CELL is NOT out to scare people, does NOT have a political agenda and is totally fascinating. Terrorism is not an easy topic to discuss, but The CELL deftly approaches the subject with just the proper level of sobriety and idealism.

The exhibit is multimedia, complete with videos, iPads (high tech) and guessing games (low tech) to suit a fairly wide age range. The exhibit is big one education. Think all terrorists are Muslims? The CELL will disabuse you of that notion. Think terrorism is limited to Iraq and major world cities? Think again. Think average Americans are powerless against terrorism? Nope! This place would be PERFECT for a high school aged group, and I wish I had gone with a friend because all I wanted to do when I left was talk about what I had experienced and learned.

In short, The CELL takes a tragic, difficult topic and addresses it with poise, dignity and intelligence. I've never seen anything quite like it, and cannot suggest it enough for anyone with even a passing interest in the world around them.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank Stephen5433
Denver, Colorado
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The CELL is very informative and just a bit scary”
Reviewed December 15, 2010

The Cell is an unusual museum in that it focuses on terrorism and how you as an individual can understand it and hopefully prevent it. The museum relies heavily on multimedia presentations such as large-screen TVs showing film clips of terror events and world leaders speaking out against it.

The museum makes note that terrorism comes in a variety of forms, such as domestic terror like Timothy McVeigh and a wide variety on international terror groups like al Qaeda and the IRA. The only thing the disparate groups have in common is the belief that violence and death is justified to get their point across.

I thought the museum was very informative and compelling, and reminded me of just how many terror attacks have occurred in the last 30 years. However, it is a bit scary and not a ‘’feel good’’ place to visit. It’s easy to find right next to the Denver Art Museum and worth visiting if you are in the right mood.