“Good Job Sassafras”

Ranked #31 of 3,256 Restaurants in Denver
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My third time there for breakfast at Sassafras today! Great place for breakfast with quite the southern spin. My only complaint is about the grits. I wouldn't order them again.
Everything else is outstanding. The mushroom gravy is really delicious. They are also happy to poach eggs without an extra charge.
I'll be back for lunch, Sassafras.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Holy Yum Breakfast/brunch goers.

Sassafras is unbelievable in their efforts to create southern food with a breakfast angle. And they hit the mark dead on.

Started out with a cup of gumbo and then had to try a side of the red beans and rice as well. Both were amazing - flavorful and hearty. Then had the truffle mushroom grits which I would not share after the first bite. They were delicious. Fried eggs and hash were quite tasty as well. Biscuits with Strawberry Mango Jam or the Voodoo jam = HELLO!!

Service was unbelievable. They were very caring and very excited about what they've got. The restaurant is in a refurbished house just across 25 from Downtown off of Speer and Zuni. Such a quick adventure out of downtown for a place that will have you feeling like you are in a whole new world.

Seating inside is limited, but as the weather warms up, it looks like Sassy is ready to serve all of those glorious Denver mornings.

New player on the breakfast/brunch scene. Welcome to Denver Sassafras.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

After our first visit to Sassafras, we felt like we had just eaten at a four-dot restaurant on a three-dot day. The seasonally adjusted food choices are delightfully different, the prices are reasonable, the service staff tries very hard, the complimentary coffee while we waited was excellent and the ambience is cozy. The problems we encountered probably were the result of an unexpectedly large Sunday late-morning crowd. We might easily try eating there again, but it will be another day and time.

We had reservations, and arrived promptly. The place was obviously quite busy, but we were told we'd only have to wait five or 10 minutes. It was more like a half an hour, which we think is excessive when we have reservations. The biggest problem was the temperature of the food. Rule No. 1 at a breakfast-lunch joint is that you don't serve fried eggs cold. Two of the three plates suffered from that violation. The third was almost too hot to touch, so obviously they had not been prepared at the same time. (It took at least 45 minutes for our food to arrive, but we didn't mind because we had so much catching up to do.) For all of the supposed uniqueness of the recipes, my "Biscuits and Cravies" tasted pretty much like biscuits and gravy. But that was my bad. I love that dish, but why did I opt for such standard fare when the menu boasts things like chicken and andouille sausage gumbo and fried green tomato benedict? The others in our party were rewarded for being more adventurous.

1  Thank HungryHikerBoulder
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

This was easy to find. We arrived and were seated fairly quickly - 10 minutes. The menu was interesting to the point that we really wanted to try everything. I would recommend the Buffalo Hash and the pickle chips. A great choice that will make you rethink ordering a 'typical' breakfast again. The coffee was great. The portion size is large so you more than get your money's worth. This holds true of the juice as well.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Well, not me. Mine was good. but my partner exclaimed in the middle of breakfast, " I think this is the best breakfast I have ever had!" Given that she has more than 60 years of breakfasts behind her that was saying something. Now as to what precipitated that comment, it was New Orleans Barbecue shrimp and grits with biscuit and gravy.
My breakfast was a bit more mundane: eggs, bacon, toast, homefries. I must say the bacon was exceptional—thick and meaty. And the eggs, well they were eggs, firm whites and large yokes.
Service was friendly . In response to questions, the waiter offered tips for where to go for microbrews in the Denver area. I saw other waiters conversing with customers.
The ambiance is funky. It has off-street parking. The approach to the building is beautiful.