“Love the concept & menu, but it seemed like an off day” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sassafras American Eatery

Sassafras American Eatery
Ranked #64 of 2,974 Restaurants in Denver
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Boulder
“Love the concept & menu, but it seemed like an off day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

After our first visit to Sassafras, we felt like we had just eaten at a four-dot restaurant on a three-dot day. The seasonally adjusted food choices are delightfully different, the prices are reasonable, the service staff tries very hard, the complimentary coffee while we waited was excellent and the ambience is cozy. The problems we encountered probably were the result of an unexpectedly large Sunday late-morning crowd. We might easily try eating there again, but it will be another day and time.

We had reservations, and arrived promptly. The place was obviously quite busy, but we were told we'd only have to wait five or 10 minutes. It was more like a half an hour, which we think is excessive when we have reservations. The biggest problem was the temperature of the food. Rule No. 1 at a breakfast-lunch joint is that you don't serve fried eggs cold. Two of the three plates suffered from that violation. The third was almost too hot to touch, so obviously they had not been prepared at the same time. (It took at least 45 minutes for our food to arrive, but we didn't mind because we had so much catching up to do.) For all of the supposed uniqueness of the recipes, my "Biscuits and Cravies" tasted pretty much like biscuits and gravy. But that was my bad. I love that dish, but why did I opt for such standard fare when the menu boasts things like chicken and andouille sausage gumbo and fried green tomato benedict? The others in our party were rewarded for being more adventurous.

1 Thank HungryHikerBoulder

Houston, Texas
“Fabulous eatery Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

This was easy to find. We arrived and were seated fairly quickly - 10 minutes. The menu was interesting to the point that we really wanted to try everything. I would recommend the Buffalo Hash and the pickle chips. A great choice that will make you rethink ordering a 'typical' breakfast again. The coffee was great. The portion size is large so you more than get your money's worth. This holds true of the juice as well.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Best breakfast I ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Well, not me. Mine was good. but my partner exclaimed in the middle of breakfast, " I think this is the best breakfast I have ever had!" Given that she has more than 60 years of breakfasts behind her that was saying something. Now as to what precipitated that comment, it was New Orleans Barbecue shrimp and grits with biscuit and gravy.
My breakfast was a bit more mundane: eggs, bacon, toast, homefries. I must say the bacon was exceptional—thick and meaty. And the eggs, well they were eggs, firm whites and large yokes.
Service was friendly . In response to questions, the waiter offered tips for where to go for microbrews in the Denver area. I saw other waiters conversing with customers.
The ambiance is funky. It has off-street parking. The approach to the building is beautiful.

Champaign, Illinois
“Go Here. That is all.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Terrific breakfast! There are several places I've eaten in Denver where I got a great breakfast and this is among the best.

They do have a bit of an eclectic menu, so traditionalists may have to bend a bit. Especially since they make almost everything in-house, including the ketchup.

I had the corn cakes (pancakes) and not only did they have cornmeal in them, they had kernels of corn. The texture was great and they were slightly sweet.. They were scrumptious. My girlfriend had some kind of plate that was a spin on eggs benedict and it had fried oysters in it. It may be standard fare somewhere, but I had never seen it and was skeptical. Upon trying it, I have to say it worked....and I actually liked it better than what I ordered.

So Sassafras is great. Also good value and not served with any pretentiousness. I'll keep my advice simple. Go there.

1 Thank Chris S
Chicago, Illinois
“What an Awesome Find!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was meeting a friend from out of town and found this place by chance on mapquest. Am I glad I found this place!! It is in a house and decorated so nice. Comfortable homey feeling. There was about a 20 min wait, but we really wanted to check it out and didn't mind waiting. My kids had the twinkie and capn crunch shake which they just loved!! That was a new one for all of us. Very creative and good!! The food was delicious and the homemade bacon and andoullie sausage was excellent. It is hard to eat any other bacon now. Biscuits and gravy were so great!! The mac and cheese was loved by all. Next time we will get it with bacon for sure. My child who is the mac and cheese guru, loved it and wants to go back as soon as we move there. Julie was a great waitress and so friendly and helpful. She made us out of towners feel very welcome. We will return to try more of the delicious dishes. BTW, the coffe is really delicious. They are a green restaurant and provide to go cups so you don't waste any JOE!! Try it, you will love it!!

• Visited March 2013