“Lackluster food served by a poor staff”

Sassafras American Eatery
Ranked #69 of 3,041 Restaurants in Denver
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Lackluster food served by a poor staff”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were very excited to try this southern comfort restaurant; so when we arrived to a packed house with a 30 min wait we were willing to do so. As we waited for a seat a couple walked in who were obvious friends of the staff and were seated in what was to be our two top. As we waited, excepting this, having worked in the service industry, a four top that came in after us was seated before us as well. Once we did get our table it took a few minutes to be greeted. We ordered our entire meal in advance having read the menu for 30 minutes. Our drinks took a considerable time to be delivered as did the gumbo, which is pre-made. The drinks, a cherry soda and a sun tea were delicious. My gumbo had little rice and no Andouille, a problem which was correct fairly promptly. We then had our mac and cheese with pulled pork delivered which was delicious. Our main courses were served rather promptly after that. The fried green tomato sandwich with potato salad. The potato salad was excellent, the sandwich was less then great. There was very little goat cheese, the bacon was so thick it was impossible to bite apart and the fried tomato fell apart from its breading. The fried chicken was similar, good taste but the breading didn't stay on, probably not properly dried before the breading process. The greens served with the chicken were over cooked and the red beans and rice were terriable. I'm spoiled with red beans and rice, having a best friend from New Orleans who makes them for me all the time. They were flavorless and served incorrectly, not mixed but rather piled atop one another. At the end of the meal I offered tips and advice as this is a new business. My constructive criticsm was met with annoyance and anger, being told the Chef is from New Orleans and knows what he's doing. I was surprised and upset with the entire experience, very disappointing from start to finish.

1 Thank ChicagoCPhT

Denver, Colorado
“Laid back and delicious!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is a real gem. The food is amazing and the ambiance is lovely and homey. It's tucked away but gaining in popularity because of it's delicious food. They make their own sausage, smoke their own bacon, serve their own homemade condiments (ketchup, hot sauce, jams & jellies) and serve the most divine grits I've had outside of New Orleans. Their fried chicken is fantastic as is there jambalaya. I've never had a mediocre meal at this place. I keep going back and it's so affordable the only thing that's prevented a visit is a long wait time. The place is picking up in popularity so make sure you plan your visit accordingly, especially if you're visiting at a peak time! They do call ahead seating, not reservations.

• Visited March 2013
Boston, MA
“Great Brunch!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This place is freaking adorable! The ambiance alone makes it a perfect breakfast spot: warm and inviting with stained glass windows, plants, wood and exposed brick, great wall paper and cute artwork... the list could go on...
Our server was very friendly, helpful, and attentive. The menu is inventive and reasonably priced, so no complaints here!
Now onto the food:
We started with the ELVIS BEIGNETS (Warm Peanut Butter Mousse filled Banana Beignets, served with a Bacon Molasses Jam)- delicious but not too sweet and the bacon jam was awesome!!
The man had the CHICKEN FRIED EGGS + SMOKED BUFFALO HASH (Buffalo Hash with Two battered Eggs fried Golden, roasted Fresno Chili Hollandaise, and Cornbread)- great flavor, totally unique dish, and perfectly portioned. The man loved it but still shared a few bites with me.
I had the EGGS SARDOU (Roasted Garlic Grit Cake, Creamed Spinach and Artichoke, Cornmeal crusted fried Oysters, Sassafras smoked Bacon, Fresno Chili Hollandaise)- another very creative and well executed dish. Wonderful flavors, great textures, and a perfect portion size.
The wonderful ambiance, great service and delicious food makes this a solid 5 star place. It was totally worth the trip and we will definitely be back =)

Visited February 2013
Denver
“Wonderful Food and Service - cute little restaurant!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is the cutest little restaurant I’ve come across in a long time – so glad I finally get to review it.
My parents were in town a couple weeks ago and to give my sister and bro-in-law some alone time, I offered to take mom and dad for the day and explore Denver. I’d seen someone’s ROTD on Sassafras and after reading it, immediately wanted to go. I love the southern-style cooking and the whole menu was appealing.

Helpful note: They don’t take reservations, but you can do the 30-minute call ahead thing, which is good to know. It was a Sunday and although I thought we’d beaten the breakfast crowd, but there was still a wait – definitely no biggie. You can order coffee and all kinds of refreshments to sip on while you wait – plus it was unseasonably warm so waiting outside in the sunshine was actually kinda nice! We ended up sitting outside as well – as did a lot of people that day.
First, everything on the menu sounded great – I had a really hard time choosing. My mom and I ended up going with the fried green tomato benedict and it was delicious! Perfectly cooked and a great balance of flavors. The house-made cornbread and breakfast potato casserole were ah-maze-ing and I happily cleaned my plate. My dad went with the biscuits and gravies and raved – the biscuits arrived in tact (not halved) so his only suggestion was to add a little more gravy.

Plus, and this probably takes Sassafras from "very good" to "excellent", the staff was awesome – super friendly, accommodating and quick! Overall it was a great time with food and service to match. Can’t wait to go back.

• Visited January 2013
Denver, Colorado
“New place to go to in town.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Great place with a menu that is not typical boring breakfast/lunch. Staff is great, food was very good, and the prices were reasonable. The Twinkie shake was awesome.