“Entrees missed our expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 2,986 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wazee
Transit: We are half a block from the lower downtown RTD station.
Denver, Colorado
“Entrees missed our expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

After all the buzz we've heard, we went to the Kitchen expecting a great meal. The atmosphere is great, the service is terrific, but the food... Well it is mediocre at best. My wife had the hangar steak, my son the bolognese, and I had the pork loin. All 3 dishes were beautifully presented, but tasted bland and uninspired. There are many terrific dining choices in Denver. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.

1 Thank rocky-mtn-way

• Polish first
western US
“No! No! No!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I can not understand why this place is ranked as well as it is, let alone in business. Sitting with empty appetizer plates for over 30 minutes, waiting for wine for over 30 minutes, and then, finally getting both our entrees and our drinks at the same time, awful. I ate simply because I was starving. The food- pumpkin soup completely lacked any depth or character. Creme fraiche or toasted pepitos would have been a nice touch. Or some seasoning. The prosciutto came out with nothing else. odd. The "signature' cocktails were awful. The waitress did not even notice that I did not drink mine. The entrees were meh. same thing with deserts. Save your calories, time and money & go somewhere truly delicious.
If you read a review of someone that "loves" this place, read their other reviews. I'm thinking that they don't know great food, travel or have any expectations whatsoever. Really. It was THAT bad.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank traveltounravel
Boulder, CO
“Super”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

What a wonderful dinner and experience we had tonight at the Denver Kitchen. Our server Beth was amazing and made my sister's birthday something special. Beth's friendliness, menu suggestions and attention were perfect. And when I was disappointed that Ingrid's warm mussels were not on the menu, somehow miraculously she returned to our table and reported that the chef could prepare an order of PEI mussels instead. Yes! They were the sweetest mussels I've ever eaten, not at all fishy, and the creamy sauce was light and perfectly seasoned. The toast was an excellent accompaniment. My sister's scallops were delicious as well, and my brother-in-law's pasta quite tasty. The birthday pot au chocolat was oh so yummy and comforting on such a cold winter day.

We've been to the Boulder Kitchen a number of times and now will put the Denver Kitchen high on our list of to-go places to dine in Denver.

The manager and entire staff who were so attentive, professional and fun.

• Visited January 2013
Denver
“Our new favorite in downtown Denver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We live downtown and eat out regularly. The Kitchen Denver is our new favorite restaurant. We've been 3 times since we discovered it recently and we cannot wait to go back.

I'm not sure why the reviews are mixed. We've had nothing but great food and great service on each of our visits. The chilled smoked mussels are fantastic and we order them every time. The hanger steak frites is one of the best in the city and I've ordered it twice and been totally satisfied. The small seafood platter is the perfect size for sharing w/ a group as an app and the selection of seafood was very nice.

The atmosphere is lively and energetic. It can be loud and busy at times (which we enjoy). Overall, we are sure you will have a memorable evening when you dine at The Kitchen. We really like this place and are glad to have this new addition in downtown.

• Visited December 2012
Missoula, Montana
“Not one of my better Denver experiences”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Every time I've been to Denver, I've heard someone rave about The Kitchen. I stayed downtown for my last business trip, so my boss and I decided to walk down and check it out. We spend a lot of time in other cities having a good time and eating great food. We were encouraged to try the fried pigs ears and have a bottle of wine. Walking in to The Kitchen is kind of an experience in itself. It's a really neat building and has a very unique layout where you can walk by different areas of the kitchen and see what's going on. The place was packed... and super loud.

Our server was not friendly. In fact, he had an air about him that he was doing us a huge favor by just being there. Most of the wines we were interested in were sold out, so he recommended a kind neither of us had tried before. The first sips of it weren't bad, but neither of us drank more than a glass. In fact, I don't think I even finished one glass. We left the remainder of the bottle there, mostly full. Nobody asked us about it or made any effort to remedy the situation. I believe it was a $65 bottle, which is a shame.

The pigs ears... oh no. That was one of the worst things I've ever tried, and I'll try anything. If you have a dog, surely you've given them a pig's ear at some point to chew on... now imagine that shredded in to strips and deep fried. I gagged once. The aioli sauce that came with them was tasty, though.

Our dinner was very underwhelming. Everything we ate was poorly seasoned, though very nicely cooked. All the meat was tender and juicy, but still left so much to be desired from the overall plate. The portions were also quite small. I enjoyed the presentations, but really... I want yummy food that's going to be satisfying. The server was not eager to give us suggestions, ideas, or guide us in any way when we were deciding. I feel like maybe we would have had a better experience if he had.

We spent almost $200 on dinner for two and left wondering what we should eat, and where we could get a good drink.

I would not go back to The Kitchen, all things considered. Denver has a lot of great food options that make the money feel worth it. I also wouldn't discourage anyone else from giving it a try, though. I think that a different set of circumstances might lead to a great experience. I just didn't have one.

• Visited November 2012