“Nice Lunch Spot”
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 3,095 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wazee
Transit: We are half a block from the lower downtown RTD station.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Very attentive staff. They were quickly able to seat our group of 4 at the lunch rush even though we did not have a reservation and we were busy. Clean place. Tasty salads. I really enjoyed the quiche of the day. The lemon tart was particularly nice--not too sweet; not too tart.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I were looking forward to dining at the Denver location of The Kitchen, as the Boulder location is one of our all-time favorite restaurants. Although the restaurant takes few reservations, I did call, explained that it was our wedding anniversary and was able to secure a table at 7 pm on a Monday evening.

We arrived and were escorted to a tiny two-top. Knowing we were going to order several apps, lots of wine and mains, and the fact it was our anniversary, we requested a larger table where we could side-by-side rather than opposite each other. We were told that no other tables were available and that twosomes were to be seated at two-tops. Within minutes of being told this, the two four-tops next to us were seated with two people each, adding to our disappointment.

Appetizers were quite good, but my husband's main course lamb was not cooked "medium" as he requested - it was raw, so he requested it be corrected. They took away his meal and returned with it about 10 minutes later, cooked properly. The problem was that they did not take my meal, so I continued to eat it so it wouldn't get cold and we ended up not eating our anniversary meal main course together. I was almost finished by the time his meal was returned.

Particularly disappointing is that the Denver location is not at all like the Boulder location. We have eaten at The Kitchen Boulder many, many times and have never been disappointed, on any front. The Boulder location has a sense of community, the Denver location does not. The staff in Boulder seem very connected to the food, they describe it, they know where it is from, they engage you. Our being there seemed more like an inconvenience to them rather than making us feel like guests. Part of the issue may simply be the location and size of the space (it lacks the intimacy of the Boulder location), but I also think the staff are neither trained as well as the Boulder staff nor do they have the same passion for local food, at least not the staff on this evening.

Overall, the food was quite delicious, but the overall experience overshadowed the meal. Perhaps I am mistaken in trying to compare it to the Boulder location, but it just was a disappointment, particularly on a special occasion.

1  Thank kristainco
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant move to the top of your must eat at list! The space is decorated beautifully and the ambiance is wonderful! A chalkboard in the back half of the restaurant lists the farms and other purveyors that have items featured on the current menu. If the house made sausage and lentils is on the starters menu, GET IT! You'll be licking the plate clean. The roasted marrow bones were to die for and they have some really good cheese selections as well. All of the entrees are well portioned and well seasoned. Service has been wonderful and the servers have been very helpful both with food recommendations and drink selections. EAT HERE, OFTEN!!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The moment the concierge at the hotel mentioned "local foods" I know we would be going to The Kitchen for dinner. Being from NYC, I'm selective in dining but The Kitchen was not only beautifully decorated and designed, the food and service were superb. The oysters were as fresh as one could hope for, the starter salad was very good and when we mentioned that we were sharing, they put it on two plates. The main dishes were delicious (a bit oily for my taste but still fantastic). The wine selection is extensive and the Chenin Blanc we choose was one of the best I've ever had. The ambiance makes this place a must see and the food matches the beautifully crafted decor. One of the nicest parts of the evening was being greeted by the chef who told us to take our time as they cleaned up. A+

Reviewed September 4, 2012

What a wonderful dining experience. From a unique, eclectic and innovative menu to fabulous service, don’t go to downtown Denver without dining at The Kitchen. We sat outside but checked out the inside, including the bar and open kitchen, way cool. Great variety on the food and wine menu. You can make a meal out of sides. Our server was well versed in the restaurant business and took the time to chat with us about our experience and his experiences. He gave us a Miracle on 34th Street experience by advising us on additional great dining experiences in Denver. That is a first class server who is not so consumed by his or her own restaurant that they can help you enjoy the whole dining scene. He not only wants The Kitchen to succeed but the whole Denver dining scene.