“Yummy upscale Mexican!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 40th
Transit: Restaurant can be accessed by RTD. A bus stop is located directly across the street from the restaurant.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to Paxia for the first time last week and was very impressed. We shared at our table so I was able to try several things. The sauces on the various enchilada options were excellent, unique, and had incredible depth of flavor. The salsas also stood out, so trying the Salsa trio is a must! I thought the drink menu was a bit overpriced, but I enjoyed the house margarita regardless. Great addition to the neighborhood, and very well done atmosphere.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

This new Mexican restaurant in the Highland Neighborhood was a fabulous find in Denver! We began with the amazing table side guacamole and excellent margaritas, followed by molcojetes. One word: A delicious choice highly recommended by the table next to us and served in a very hot boiling bowl of sauce and rich flavors. Pow!
Our local friend had the family chicken mole sauce prepared by the two (owners),sons mother, who was delighted when he spoke to her in Spanish, voicing our gratitude for her gifts. All evening, she was joyfully making fresh corn tortillas while we ate.
We loved the level of service not only from the wait staff but TWO managers who personally came to our table inquiring how the meal was! This level of genuine concern is so rare and if others only took the lead from Paxia, they could learn much! Again, food, service and their love for their business shines like the Colorado sun! We will make it part of our stop when we return to Denver.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Great decor, delicious food--a must if you have a couple extra days in Denver to explore beyond downtown. In Denver's Sunnyside neighborhood.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We read a review and decided to try Paxia, interested in finding Mexican food that is more Mexico and less Denver - not that I don't enjoy a good enchilada a la Denver, but I had enjoyed some amazing food in Mexico and I keep hearing from Mexican friends that they cannot find good, authentic Mexican food in Denver.

The restaurant is in a great neighborhood and the ambiance and staff was great. There are some nice tables and booths - we were escorted to a weird table right outside the kitchen, but when I asked for the booth, they immediately seated us in that area. The food was very good - I am not enough of an expert to know if it was "authentic" but it was not your typical, local enchilada plate. We enjoyed guacamole made table-side and a variety of dishes. I had chiles en nogada. The sauce was delicious and the chile and filling were wonderful. The portion was on the small side and the price was a bit high - $16. Also, they put the chile on a piece of lettuce to fill out the plate and while it made for a nice presentation, it was not pleasant under the chile as it became warm and wilted and made it hard to cut into the chile. I mentioned this to one of the owners, who came around to talk with people at the tables, and she said she would talk with the chef about another solution to the presentation, so they were very responsive and interested in our experience.

Everyone at the table had something different and we all tasted. The salmon was excellent. We had the tlacoyos and one of the chicken dishes. While we were all full after dinner, and enjoyed the food, it seemed a bit expensive for what we got. Definitely worth going to try something new.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

This restaurant serves Mexican food with a twist. My enfrijolades are a wonderful joining of an enchilada with frijoles. The beans are pureed - and the taste is delicate. The drinks are terrific too.

2  Thank o2bnfr