“Not worth the price, poor customer services at front desk, not proffesional”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver International Airport
Ranked #44 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My handicapped husband and I stayed here for two reason we were able to received a discount from brother whom worked here at the embassy suite for ten years with the approval from manager on duty,even though we received a discount in the end it was not worth it,and the last time we stayed we were not treated very well poor customer service at front desk, by managers on duty we thought we would try it again we traveled all the way from Canada due to the fact illness in the family, well many problems need to have hotel attention,when given our keys we were told that we could use any door there were no parking spaces we did manage to find one by the back where it was very dark and cold that night it was a door there the key did not work after trying both keys in the cold we were force to walk to the front door and the first time there was a front worker and we mention it to her and she say's oh that door works sometimes, so the next night same thing except we stood out side banging on the door so we decided to walk all the way around through front door again an on duty manager Christine was on we mention it to her and she took it as a joke and I said please get that fixed before someone gets harm out there in the middle of the night trying to get in, and she looked at me and said I will let some one know and walked away. earlier that morning we asked if we could have are room service a Hispanic lady came up to clean the room as she clean the bath tub she broke the shower head after she left I notice and call the front desk and asked if someone can fix it, my husband is a business man himself and we did not want to get blame for destroying any property, on duty manager told general manager we were complaining to much, we needed a few more nights so we called and asked for a three more night earlier we were told fine no problems and you can have the same rate, my husband called later to double checked our reservations spoke to Anthony at front desk he said not at that rate I will talk to my manager he kept my husband on hold for a good 10 or 15 min, my husband hung up we than received a phone call from my brother and he was receiving discipline actions from the General Manager about our minor complaints and the fact that we had a employee discount rate that was preapproved two weeks before we arrived in Denver from Canada, so my husband called and Christine answer the phone, put him hold and than came back and said you can go to her voice mail my husband hung up then the General manager phoned my brother to relate a third party message with threats made to him, how could a manager on duty as well as a General Manager treat paying customers this way? when my husband wanted to do is clear up this horrible misunderstanding and apologized about minor complains that need attention to,my husband and I went down to breakfast the food was a mess the counter was dirty no milk in the containers it needed very much tiding up, we stayed in a room with dirty carpet the couch had no pillows and was fraying spring coming through very dirty with blood spots on it, I'm very disappointed with this hotel I did not like the backlash my brother received from the General Manager as well as the on duty manager Christine we did not come from Canada for mistreatment such as this, will we ever stay here again? No we are not critics of hotels we are very humble people, just for a few more steps you can go down to the Quality Inn where treatment is much better as well as the price.

4  Thank Ronald T
Monicapitt, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

As you are a relative of an existing employee and stayed using employee benefits this is in fact an employee issue and not appropriate to address here. We were happy to extend the $39 employee rate as a courtesy to your brother although technically not valid for anyone other than hotel employees and any issues with regards to anyone using that benefit would be directed to the employee. In no way was the employee/brother repreimanded in any way.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

After missing our flight (not enough security at Denver Airport to deal with fans leaving the morning after the Broncos game...grrr), we got a reasonable rate with Embassy Suites for five people (two adults, three children). We were received in a very friendly manner; the room we were given had a living room with a fold-out bed and a separate bedroom with a door - perfect for our family. We went downstairs to dinner and because we were there during happy hour our drinks were free. Alma looked after us beautifully, both for dinner and at the complimentary breakfast service the next morning - both meals were fine. If our luggage hadn't gone on ahead of us, we would have definitely used the indoor pool - the outdoor jacuzzi would have been inviting if it had not been 20 below outside. Everyone we met at the hotel was welcoming. Despite the cold outside Embassy Suites provided a very cozy and positive upside to an unfortunate travel delay; we would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Monicapitt, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback! Unfortunately we do get lots of guests who for a variety of reasons find Denver an unexpected stopping point. We are gald that we were able to make a frustrating experience mroe enjoyable for you.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

A clean and typical Embassy Suites. But beware, the People's Republic of Denver is charging over 20% in taxes. I live near a resort community and we don't even charge this. Be prepared to add 21% to any room in this area of Denver. The Aurora hotels nearby will provide a much better value.

2  Thank Eagle-tripster

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you were satisfied with the hotel. With regards to the hotel taxes, while they are slightly higher than average, they are not quite as high as you indicated. Total taxes associated with guest rooms are 14.75% and sales tax is 8%. While Aurora is lower, it is not significantly lower as you described. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel and probably my last. I love Embassy Suites, but this one does not measure up. I all started when I went to check in. We could not find a place to park. A snow storm had come in a couple of days before. It looked like the cars were snow packed and had not been moved. I had to park in the back of the hotel and walk around to the front of the hotel to check in. The temperature was 12 degrees and the wind was blowing. I asked about the parking and the clerk informed me that they had a park and fly program and that most of the cars were with that program. I asked why they could not park those cars in the back and leave room for guests coming in. She just stated that if they were there more than 10 days they were charged. This was very frustrating. My wife and I were there to see our daughter and grandbaby and were in and out. It was very difficult to park in the rear of the hotel and have to walk to the front. There was a door in the back but the key lock had been removed, so we were forced to enter from the front. Unfortunately, I did not bring the best of shoes for the weather and had to slip and slide my way to the front and back. To top this off when we went down for breakfast the next morning, the staff was overwhelmed and did not do a good job of keeping up. The food was empty in the pans and we waited quite awhile to get them refilled. I waited for an item for almost 20 minutes, only to find that they did not have any more of that item. I stay at Embassy Suites a lot, but this may be my last time at this one. I am a Diamond Member and I did not feel they met my standards.

Room Tip: Think twice about this hotel, service is not up to Hilton's level. Don't stay during a holi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank vsegura
Monicapitt, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. The parking situation you encountered is not a typical situation - in fact I have never seen the lot that full in my entire time at the hotel (over 10 years). When the staff says "park and fly", we actually mean stay and fly, in that no one is allowed to park unless they are a guestat leat one night. This restriction usually leaves more than enough parking spaces and shuttle spaces to accomodate all of our guests. i am sorry the volume was exceptionally high on the night you stayed.

Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Have stayed here many times on the way to skiing. Great, comfortable, all suite hotel a few minutes drive from the airport.

They cater for business people and families, have a business centre and conference facilities, a great all-inclusive breakfast and free on site parking.

A member of the Hilton group and highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Monicapitt, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. We always love to hear from our repeat and loyal guests! Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We chose to stay here the last night of a trip before an early morning flight. The hotel is popular with travelers, so we really needed to book an airport shuttle at arrival.

The lobby and atrium area are nicely decorated and sports fans will appreciate all of the TVs around the bar. There is a manager's reception every evening. Our night offered free drinks of any type from the bar and munchies - popcorn, Chex Mix, pretzels, etc. with some decent Happy Hour specials, such as $.50 wings.

The rooms were typical Embassy Suites: bedroom, separate living, bathroom, and micro/fridge area and dining table. Our only real complaint was that the bathroom had no ventilation. The bedroom clock was also and we couldn't figure out how to reset it. We needed a maintenance man for a bathroom problem and he showed us how to remove the cover and set the time. Would it be so hard to post printed instructions somewhere? Also, no DVD players available.

The ice machine was missing screens and made it difficult to fill the buckets.

Room service was, well, what it was. Kid's mac and cheese was Kraft and $6 plus fees. A small pizza was rather generously sized, but delivered lukewarm and very greasy. I passed - thank you snacks- and 4 of us finished less than half. A $25 bill overall.

We had signed up for the 5:30am shuttle, worrying about security and the long walks at the Denver airport. The hotel apparently decided that this meant we should have a 4:00am wakeup call, thank you very much for not asking. It did give us tons of time to check out the continental breakfast area and pick up a couple of bagels.

The shuttle worked well. The night before, we dropped off the car and we were picked up in just a few minutes. The morning shuttle was full, so we hopped on the second backup shuttle and were at the airport in maybe 15 minutes.

Staff were all very nice. responsive, and hardworking.

We got a great rate using 15K miles plus $50. No complaints there. It's a decent hotel but could use a little upgrading.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the thoroughness of your comments. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can hope to reach our goal of 100% geust satisfaction.

With regards teo the mac and cheese, I can assure we do not use premade products. We do make that from scratach and I do apologize that it did not meet your expectaions. Likewise, with the kid's pizza. I have referred your comments to the Food and Beverage Manager for follow up and re-training. Your comments did not indicate whether you made your thoughts known to anyone on staff but I am sure we would have been happy to make an adjustment on your bill, as we do want everyone to leave completely satisfied.

With regards the wake up call, i do sincerely apologize for the error. I have spoken to the Front Office Manager to review this issue with the team to be sure they are more careful in logging and entering wake up calls.

Finally, with regards the alarm clocks, it is by design that the clocks cannot be changed by the guests in order to avoid many clocks reset to manty different time zones, 10 minutes fast or slow, etc in order to not adversely affect guests who may not notice the clock is wrong and potentially miss flights, meetings, etc.

Additionally, thank you for your positive feedback regaridng the shuttle, manager reception,

We enjoyed having you as our geust and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Embassy Suites over the holidays, on our way to Breckenridge. After much research, we pick ES because it proclaimed to be the closest hotel to the airport and we were looking for convenience and quality. We arrived around 10:30 PM, and with several flights coming in and with only one hotel shuttle running, there was a 30-minute wait before we were picked up. We waited in the designated shuttle area for the hotel, outside at the airport while it was snowing; not fun late at night with kids. The Friday night before a major holiday? The hotel should have anticipated heavy travel, especially since they appeared to be heavily booked upon arrival. Once on the shuttle (driver was incredibly nice, btw), the hotel was a 20-minute ride, despite the website's proclamation that the hotel was two miles from the airport. I thought they took us to the wrong hotel. Then I looked and saw that there was a string of hotels down the street, within view of ES, and was dismayed that we'd paid about $25 extra per night for what turned out to be a location no closer or convenient than a half-dozen other hotels. That's a chunk of change when you have numerous rooms booked, as we did. All of that was just a lesson learned. We had no trouble checking in, either, and the rooms were well-appointed and clean. The kicker was when we learned the downstairs grill closed at 11 and went down to the "mini store" area and picked out snacks and drinks to purchase, as our late evening, cross-country flight had left us famished. We had three drinks, two candy bars, and one small bag of chips. I don't find that a massive or unreasonable purchase, however, when we laid our purchases on the counter, the hotel clerk, an older lady whose name I failed to get due to my being floored, rolled her eyes at us and proceeded to snatch the snacks and ring them up in a manner suggesting we'd just come through the "10-items-or-less" line with 67 things in a cart. Not wanting to ruin our holiday spirit, I said nothing, but the minute we walked away each of the kids turned and asked if I had noticed the behavior of the woman waiting on us. The next morning we took advantage of the buffet breakfast. The omelet station was fine, except the ingredients are left out in the open, and you add them to a bowl yourself and hand it to the chef, and several kids were putting their hands in the dishes, so that sort of ruined it for our group (it is flu season, after all). There is a waffle station that was good. The eggs were not good (probably powdered?) and they ran out of bacon. There was a free soda fountain on the buffet line, which the kids were thrilled to see (parents not so much, especially at breakfast?). We had to ask three times to get an omelet, even though there was a line forming at the omelet station and a bunch of chefs were behind the line, standing around talking. All of this was just not enough to justify the extra expense to stay at this specific hotel, so next time we will probably price it out and look elsewhere for a better - more welcoming - deal.

• Stayed: December 2012
Monicapitt, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for your detailed feedback. This is very helpful when trying to coach and counsel our team. I will try to address as many fo the issues as possible here. With regards the level of business in the hotel, contrary to popular beleif, the Friday before the Christmas holiday is typically very slow. Most people when they travel on a holiday stay with family and friends and therefore do not fill the area hotels. However, flight delays can and do fill the hotel but it is difficult to predict. On the night you stayed, we took 95 unexpected rooms due to flight delays which is very difficult to predict or schedule for. The next night we only took 15!. In terms of being closest, we actually promote oursleves as the closest full service hotel which is indeed true. All of the other hotels in the area are limited service.
With regard restaurant hours, we do stay open until 11pm, but are always happy to keep the kitchen open alter if a guest requests it.
Finally , with regards the staff response at breakfast and the the front desk, I do apologize. This is certainly not acceptable and I can assure you I have referred these comments to the appropriate manager for follow up and re-training.
With regards soda on the breakfast line, this was added a few years ago in all EMbassy Suties in response to overwhelming requests from guest and I think overall the response has been positive.
Overall, we do acknowledge that our rates are higher than the area limited service hotels, but we hope that the complimentary breakfast, 2 room suites , full service restaurant, and complimentary cocktails for those who arrive during those hours are more than enough to provide value that will keep guests coming back.