“Basically a spot for downtown event goers, workers, and residents.”
Review of 16th Street Mall

and up
Denver City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #25 of 259 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Denver, this vibrant area offers a variety of shops and places to relax.
Reviewed March 11, 2010

The 16th Street is best when large public events are occurring, or when you have planned a specific event to go to on 16th street.

The 16th street mall is street in the center of the Denver business district organized for food, shopping, and entertainment. It's a street closed to local traffic for over sixteen blocks...which means it's safer for people during the lunch rush hour to cross the street for food or shopping on either side. It's basically where all the working people of downtown converge to eat during lunch hours. The street is only open to free public buses that shuttle passengers regularly throughout the day and horse and carriage rides. The buses are less regular in the evening.

The mall gets a lot of business and foot traffic from people in downtown Denver for regular every day things such as sporting events, conventions, business, living, and movie watching. At night it is where people who live near downtown or who are visiting the city go to see movies, dine, see a show, or do a little shopping. People converge on the mall before and after Rockies baseball games because mass transit to Coors Field runs through and near 16th street.

16th street has a few highlight destinations like the historic Paramount Theater, a Hard Rock Cafe within the Denver Pavillion's, ESPN Zone, and the D&F Clock Tower which was the tallest structure west of the Mississppi in 1910, below the tower is a cabaret theater. The mall is also where people go to see New Years fireworks downtown. In the summer months there's usually free concert shows scheduled near the Pavillions on 16th street.

Overall the mall serves it's purpose, it provides distraction and food for business workers, and people in town for events. There is no reason to schedule an entire vacation around visiting the 16th street mall, instead you might visit there if you have things planned near 16th Street or along 16th Street. If you are planning to go there, it's best to visit during peak hours, and when there are events in downtown or on the mall. To get the most out of your visit to 16th street and see it when it's most lively, plan your visit during an event like the Taste of Colorado.

Loudmouths, roaming idiots, and trouble seekers, do come out late at night like in most large cities, but they are usually most visible when there is no reason to be strolling the mall, such as when all the shops are closed, or when it's too cold for anyone but drunkards. But like another reviewer stated there are police around especially during peak hours and events.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,350)

Reviewed August 18, 2009

I stayed at the Courtyard on 16th street which was very convenient to the strip. I loved that there were Starbucks everywhere, there was a Children's Place across the street when my daughter ran out of clean underwear, and the electric shuttles which gave off no exhaust ran every 90 seconds....it was also relatively clean considering. Other than that, the stores were sparse, there were lots of homeless people and shady looking/behaving individuals. We never did go on the carriage ride which looked really neat, but was pricey. All in all, it was cool the first day or so, but was anxious to leave after.

2  Thank Vickie O
Reviewed August 12, 2009

The free shuttle bus can be handy for getting around. It stops every block and connects to both branches of the Light Rail. The stores along this area are nothing special - you find them in any major city. There are also restaurants if you need a place to eat.

Reviewed July 31, 2009

My husband and I recently had business in Denver and decided to check out the 16th Street Mall. I have to agree with reviewers who commented on the rough element that seems to be taking over. We were hoping to find more artsy shops, even on Wazzee St., but nothing really to look at. For me, I was very impressed by the Brown Palace since I love traditional elegance. In fact we were sorry that we did not stop by the hotel's "Tavern" for casual dining. Instead, we were sucked into the hype of Marlow's which did not impress us at all. I had been told that this area is for the bar-hopping crowd. The free shuttles up and down the street makes that easy but I don't think I'll yearn for a second trip to the 16th Street Mall.

1  Thank cascadesjn
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Denver and had the chance to visit 16th Street (a block and a half away). This was the best 3 day business trip I've had in a while. 16th street was great, dotted with shops and great food. Hard Rock Cafe Denver was on the corner as well as Maggiano's Italian Resturant. The people there were great and it was just a cool place to be. Parking at the hotel was a little hairy, but we finally found a space and just walked the whole time. Lots to do, although I'm not sure I'd take my kids with if I went again. Not alot for them to do in that specific area besides shopping.