“Should be better with its Pedigree”
Review of District Meats - CLOSED

District Meats
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Charlie Palmer has Michelin stars on his resume, but they don't shine that brightly on District Meats. In general, the food was pretty good, but we went in expecting a bit more. We stated with the pork should terrine. It was good, but came out of the kitchen cold, so cold that the pork fat coated your mouth in an unpleasant way. So cold that the acid provided in the cornichons (not house cured) and the mustard was overpowering. we let it sit for about 15 minutes and it improved. Our main course was simple, two cheeseburgers. One with fries, one with greens. Both came out overcooked and ice cold. They clearly sat in the pass for way too long. To the restaurant's credit, we told out server, she didn't bat an eye, and the entire order was re-fired. When they came out the second time they were spot-on and very tasty. A manager cam by, apologized, and comped us for our food. I think we expected more from the execution and expected a "get it right the first time" experience, but that wasn't the case. They dropped the ball, but at least did a very good job of picking it up after their mistakes. We will go back becuase the food was pretty good and the service was great.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Steak tartare was like bubble gum. Pork should and cheek were almost indelible. $65 Kansas city steak for two was pre-sliced! Over priced and mediocre food. There is no way Charlie Palmer has ever been here for quality control.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Went to DIstrict Meats on spring break with my family (kids 5 & 7). Was so impressed with the service of all the staff from hostess to waiter (Kingsley) and management. My husband and I were thrilled with the Restaurant Week menu...and so happy the kitchen cooked off the menu for my kids (plain cheeseburger and noodles with parmesan on the side) so we could enjoy a lovely meal! The kitchen even sent out complementary rosemary fries. Seriously the BEST service I have ever encountered.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

My best girlfriends and I, all in our 30's, go out to dinner every month and try all the hot new spots in Denver. Well, District Meats was at the top of the list. When we got there last night, we had a great table by the front door and were told a band was going to be playing later. Our waiter had a waiter in training with him, who proceeded to spill 2 mojitos down the back and INTO the purse of my friend - literally, she was fishing ice out of her purse. There was a meek apology with no offer to really vindicate, but we recognize mistakes happen and moved on. Had a nice dinner - pretty good food - and we were just eating dessert and coffee, when a manager came over to apologize that the standing crowd was growing by our table, getting ready for the band. We said no worries, and he then proceeded to say that we needed to "get the ball rolling" to give up our table. We thought it odd, and not less than 5 minutes later, another manager came over and told us that they "really needed to move our table RIGHT NOW and that we needed to leave". LEAVE!?! Not "let us relocate you." Not "we are really sorry for the inconvenience." Not "can you let us set up bar tables and you finish your dessert there." Nothing. We hadn't even been offered our tab by our waiter yet! We were literally still eating dessert off our forks!

I have never been treated like this in an establishment, and I will certainly be telling everyone I know not to visit District Meats because of it. We weren't drunk or unruly. We weren't overstaying our welcome and taking up tables that should have turned. We weren't ordering water and bread. We had a good size tab, and got treated like dirt. I am very disappointed - and not just because we had otherwise enjoyed our evening only to have it ruined - but also because people in the hospitality industry should have better manners than that.

I have only written about 3 reviews in my life - the others purely positive - but I thought this needed to be shared.

1  Thank denvertravel_11
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were looking for a place to watch the NFL Playoff game in a civilized atmosphere and this was the place! The entire wall behind the bar is a tv screen and our table faced that direction. Even though the game was going on we could still hear each other and were able to have a conversation.
We started with Justin's Stuffed Pepper's $9. Small red peppers stuffed with brisket in a delicious sauce. Followed by Crispy Shrimp $12 that were surprising sweet and came with a smokey cocktail sauce. I chose the Arugula Salad $8 and there was not one morsel left on my plate. We split the 10oz Filet $32 and it was cooked to perfection and garnished in garlic cloves. Fabulous! We split a side of fries $7 with shaved Pecorino that were piping hot and perfectly crisp. I want to go back!