“Not so sure...”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Went there for dinner with a large group. Everything was goin great til we ordered dinner. Ordered crab bisque and venison. 20 minutes later when everyone had already gotten food and eaten, they only confessed after I asked where my food was, that they had forgot. They never said "hey were sorry let me get that right out for u"..just "do u want us to make that". Uh..what do u think? So I decided to get just my soup and skip on $22 venison entrée. Well, I should've skipped both. Crab bisque had hard shells in it! And when brought to MANAGER'S attention he offered to buy next meal. Um..here's a thought..how about u just comp the $9 soup and we'll call it a night. He didn't do that. Charged me for soup with crab shells in it. This erased all nice things I was thinking bout this place.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I went here with a large group. We started with appetizers, which were served pretty promptly, considering we had such a large group. The servers were also very friendly and happy to answer all of our questions. I had the crab bisque, which was excellent. For my main course, I had the lamb chops, which weren't bad. However, the greens they were served with were so over-salted I couldn't eat them. When the entrees were served, everyone got their meal except for one person, who had ordered the vegetable plate. She had to wait about 15 extra minutes for her food to arrive. I find it a bit ridiculous that vegetables took so much longer to prepare than all of our various meat dishes. Later that evening, I felt very sick to my stomach. Since this meal is all I had eaten that evening, I suspect it was the culprit. Needless to say, it tarnished my view of the restaurant even further.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

After an evening of disappointment looking for a good restaurant we "happened" upon Ambria. First impressions were not great as there seemed to be a lack of attention. After 10 minutes we were about to leave when the waiter apologised as they were short staffed. We decided to stay and we were attended to in royal fashion after that! The meal itself was excellent. My husband had the ciappino and I had chicken - both extremely tasty and the portion size was just right. We complimented the staff on the meal and immediately the owner was summoned. He apologised profusely for our lack of attention at the beginning of the meal and immediately gave us vouchers for free drinks - and also money off the bill for our inconvenience!!! We enjoyed the meal very much and even before this gesture, had decided that we would go the following evening to try something different. Again we were made a fuss of - but maybe that had something to do with our Scottish accents!! If we are ever in Denver on holiday again, we would absolutely return to check out the imaginative Ambria menu. Thanks to the the friendly staff and Richard the owner. Give the restaurant your support as it deserves to do well. It is not in the least pretentious like others we were in, and the prices are very reasonable. May you continue to do well!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my second dinner at Ambria and I was not disappointed. Other than a slightly pretentious server, every other aspect of the meal was very good. The variety of small plates is perfect. Do not pass-up the Brussels sprouts!!! Wine list makes for perfect accompaniments. You cannot go wrong at Ambria and it is the type of place that you can visit multiple times and have sufficient variety every time. The only downside with the server was his approach. He had a trainee with him and she just stood in the background. He never introduced her and when we attempted to include her in the experience, he was a bit defensive. Sit outside if the weather permits. Inside is a great space as well.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I loved the romantic decor inside (it's dimly lit), and the Parisian-bistro feel outside, with music a la Django Reinhardt. I went two days in a row, I enjoyed it so much. $3 draft beer for happy hour. I loved the watermelon gazpacho, but was not thrilled about the ceviche. In fact, it didn't really qualify as a ceviche in my book.