“Great room, good location”

TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown
Ranked #77 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great staff, great room. We had the two-bedroom suite, with a full kitchen. I was able to cook full meals. Add to that you get a breakfast every day (not just weekdays, like some chains do!). The breakfast is good, and they mix it up. You have the standard cereal, yogurt, oatmeal or toast...but each day is a different entree. During the week I was there I had pancakes, egg and cheese muffins, scrambled eggs and waffles! Between that and the kitchen (and shopping down the street at the grocery store)....I saved enough money to really eat out nice when I wanted to.

Clean rooms, good beds. If I needed anything, they were quick to get it. Nice decor. The building was a former print shop...so it has a cool backstory.

Really close to everything! We explored all of downtown, and we were never more than 15 minutes away from anything. We did have a rental car, and parking was included.

Two small issues: no pool (but they do have a workout room) and only basic (aka slow) wifi is included. If you want faster wifi...its about $5 a day. (Checking email?...basic is fine!)

Really pleased with my room, the price and my stay. Thanks!

Room Tip: the suites farthest from the elevators are the best...and you have a card-entry door on that end. I...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed in Denver for five nights and were so happy with the hotel. The location was good -- lots of restaurants and bars within a fifteen minute walk and you are very close to the Cherry Creek Trail, which is great for biking and running and can get you most places in the city. We biked everywhere in Denver using the BCycle system, which I highly recommend (there is a station just a 3-minute walk away). We were never more than a 20-minute bike ride away from anywhere interesting in the city.
The continental breakfast was great, with some things offered every day (yogurt, cereal, bagels, boiled eggs, oatmeal, bananas and apples) and a changing hot option (breakfast sandwiches, scrambled eggs, etc.) We loved it.
The rooms were great, pretty spacious and well-appointed. The kitchen was surprisingly good, including all basic equipment needed for cooking (pots and pans, utensils, measuring cups/spoons, wine opener, etc.) It also has a toaster and a coffeemaker.
The staff was all very friendly. They were attentive, helpful and knowledgeable.
The only cons: the exercise room is awfully small, there is no pool and there is no complimentary shuttle from the airport.
I would gladly stay here again, for a short or long visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife, 2 children, and myself stayed at the TownePlace Suites July 30 and 31, 2014. Kim checked us in. I had several positive encounters with her. She was always happy to help. She represents Marriott properties well and was representative of the rest of the front desk staff I spoke with during breakfast and asking for things to be brought to our room such as extra towels, a baby crib, toilet paper, and clean sheets. Front Desk staff gets an A.

This is an excellent place to talk about housekeeping quality control. Things like toilet paper, towels, and clean sheets are among the essentials that need to be left in every room. Since these very basic essentials are overlooked, I have serious suspicions as to what other things the housekeeping staff may overlook. The sofa bed sheets in the room were dirty and the mattress cover on the main bed in the room had stains of an unknown origin on it. Gave us an overall feeling that the room was dirty. I have also attached pictures of the dirty sheet and mattress cover. Housekeeping quality control gets an F.

The queen bed in the room was the most uncomfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. It is an all foam matters with no spring support. My wife and I both had neck and back pain when we woke up both mornings. The mattress was so soft and flimsy I could completely compress it with one hand (picture has been attached). Completely inadequate support for a good night sleep. The mattress was produced by Jamison Bedding on 4/1/2008. Replacing the mattresses in the hotel would greatly improve the hotel's overall score. Current bed gets an F.

The breakfast quality was substandard. Compared to Other Marriott and Hilton properties I have stayed at, the food gets a C-.

The location of the hotel isn't bad. Easy access for a 5 or 5 block walk downtown to the arts district, only a couple of miles from the entertainment district, and only 2.5 miles from the downtown aquarium, amusement park, and children's activity center. Highly recommend visiting the arts and entertainment districts and the aquarium. Location of the hotel gets a B+.

Parking at the hotel is very limited if you have a full size truck or SUV, plenty of parking for compact cars ( too much in my opinion). Additionally, we showed up during a rainstorm and there is nowhere to unload your luggage out of the rain because there is no covered guest drive up area, which is found at most hotels. Parking lot functionality gets a C-.

The fitness center has 1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 elliptical trainer, an adjustable bench that lays flat and inclines, and dumbbells that only go up to 25 pounds. Rather unimpressive equipment in a very small space. The fitness center gets a C+.

Overall, I found this TownePlace Suites to be substandard for a Marriott property. I would put it more in line with a Motel 6 or Super 8. I unfortunately would not recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TPSDenverDowntown, Manager at TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback about your stay at TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown. I am happy to hear that you had such great encounters with Kim at the front desk. We will be sure to make sure that she gets recognized for her great customer service. I am very sorry that your room had stained linen. This is unacceptable! I can assure you that this is a very rare occurrence. In regards to your bed, we are in the process of purchasing new mattresses for our hotel. We are in the process of upgrading our breakfast as well. We have added fresh fruit salad, parfaits, and daily rotating warm items. Again, thank you for your feedback. We will be using this feedback to make improvements that will make our guests' stay more enjoyable.

Kind Regards,
Michael Seffrin
Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights with my husband and 2 kids 3 and 5 years old. It was perfect! We had a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen and living room. We were able to nap our baby in one room and have 2 free other rooms. The price was great and there was free parking and a breakfast every morning. There is not much of a lobby but our large room made up for that. The staff was also super friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is not a nice place to stay. It's not up to standard in any way. The hallways and room were not very clean, the bathroom was slightly scummy, and the fold out couch in our "suite" was impossible to sleep on. The traffic noise through the single-pane windows was disruptive at night. This hotel has all the markers of a really cheap hotel. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was sleazy but, it was closer to sleazy than nice. It was a bad enough experience that I will now avoid the Marriott brand.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We recently spent another 2 weeks at the Towneplace Suites Denver Downtown, which has become our ‘home away from home’ when visiting Colorado. When we first wanted to book this stay the hotel was not available but I kept checking over a period of months and eventually it opened up.

As always, we received a warm and friendly welcome. Our room location request had been granted which was a nice surprise because I knew the hotel was busy and we arrived fairly late. In fact, we were next door to the room where we spent Christmas and New Year.

I have described the layout and facilities of the studios several times before so won’t repeat it here. I will just say again that the location suits us well and we find the studio suite comfortable and functional.

All the staff were friendly and helpful, without exception. It is such a friendly place to stay.

Housekeeping has generally been a little ‘hit and miss’ but nothing that really bothers us and we tend to view it as a funny quirk of staying here. However, on this visit we encountered something new. On several days we found that if we hadn’t vacated our room by 0830 a slip of paper would come under the door saying that Housekeeping hadn’t been able to access the room but if we wanted fresh towels or other supplies we should contact the front desk. Now, I know Housekeeping have a job to do but come on, we were on vacation! I think expecting us to be out by 0830 every day is a little unreasonable. In the event, most days they obviously tried again later in the day because I think there was only one day when we didn’t receive housekeeping service. Given our previous experiences here with Housekeeping we really just thought getting the note under the door was funny, but I could understand if some guests found it irritating.

Since our last stay, the Five Star Burger at 6th and Broadway has unfortunately closed. But the Jamba Juice is still there so I could get my daily fix. (I do wish Jamba would come to the UK.)

Another comfortable stay. We look forward to our next visit ‘home’.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were in Denver for a wedding along the river and decided to book a room here because it was close and we had two free nights to use at a Marriott hotel. It was OK.

Pros: As always, the Marriott staff was awesome and the rooms were clean and wonderfully appointed. Comfy bed and linens, good kitchen appliances, good bathroom, etc. Despite being far from the 16th Street Mall, we found plenty to do around our hotel, including shopping and eating along nearby Broadway and a visit to the State Capitol. Driving around wasn't hard at all, and this hotel offers free parking unlike most others in the area. Free, reliable wifi.

Cons: The first room we were assigned was actually occupied. Apparently the manager just transferred the people to "our" room because they requested a different room, and the front desk person checking us in was not aware. Although our second room was clean, I was a little grossed out when I took a glass out of the cupboard and saw lipstick marks on the rim. I could hear every single word uttered in the adjoining rooms and outside our second story window, which faced Speer Boulevard. Every. Single. Word. The air conditioning makes as much or more noise than a window unit. And my pet peeve -- scratchy towels. They are the worst! I know Marriotts have better towels than this.

The normal cost for a room was what we'd expect to pay for a hotel so close to downtown...but I would not have been happy if I had to pay that for what we got. To be fair, the staff did give me 1,000 bonus Marriott points when I brought the dirty glass to the desk upon checkout even though I didn't ask for anything. Maybe we would have had a better experience if we paid for our stay?

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, request a room on an upper floor that faces the parking lot -- it's...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
TPSDenverDowntown, Manager at TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to leave your feedback about your stay with us at TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown. I am pleased to hear that you think our staff is awesome. We care about making sure our guests have the best stay possible. As you mentioned, we have a lot of great local restaurants and attractions in the near vicinity of the hotel. We have just upgraded our internet at the hotel, so I am glad to hear that it was fast and reliable for you. I apologize that you encountered these issues while you were at our hotel. We will use this feedback to improve and make sure our future guests have an even better stay. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact me directly.

Regards,