“TownePlace Suites Denver”

TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown
Ranked #70 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was initially happy and relieved to find a two bedroom suite in downtown Denver for $189 a night, $215 w/tax when traveling for an event at the Pepsi Center with two teenage girls and my husband; however, when I noticed the dated and dirty hall carpeting that was leading to our room (the drywall and a paint was also stained with soda and desperately needed painting) I could only wonder what to expect of our room. Unfortunately, our room was on the first floor so we were forced to call the front desk three times to complain about the jumping and partying above our room (no fault of the hotel, obviously), after midnight. We also called the guest room; it was apparent the hotel management either had no control or ignored our complaint.
The room on the surface appeared decent, but it's hard to overlook the following: sticky kitchenette floor; sticky and dusty bathroom floor; torn couch skirt (more like shredded, it looked as though the maids continuously catch it in their vacuum); a bathroom curtain which smelled like mildew; no tv in the second bedroom; no extra blankets or pillows; and towels with marker stains on them.
For $189 a night and owned by Marriott, I really expected more.
Here are some positive aspects: the hotel is animal friendly, provides doggie poop bags for their customers, does include free breakfast and free Wi-Fi; and is easy to find on a map. The beds were comfortable and having a refrigerator in the room was nice.
Although only a $12 taxi ride to the Pepsi Center there were only three restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. Two closed at 10:00 pm on a Friday night, and it appeared one only stayed open because we caught them while the kitchen was finishing up previous orders (Moe's Original BBQ - different review).

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank KitteeKat
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We showed up at 7:00 P.M. with my wife and 2 kids (3 & 5) and our friend and her 2 kids (3 & 5). We reserved a 2 bedroom suite so we could put kids to bed and hang out in the living space. Chris at the front desk told us we could not have the room we reserved because they "found a bunch of drugs in our room and he wouldn't feel safe putting a family in it". I asked if I could go see the room and determine for myself whether it would be safe or not (I didn't believe his story) and he said "no, it wasn't safe for our cleaning staff so they didn't clean it" and he refused to tell what the room number was. After much discussion he told us the best he could do was give us a 1 bedroom suite and a room next door. We asked if they were connected and he said no. This wasn't ideal but we took it. It turns out the rooms were connected and it worked out in the end. I told him they were connected and he said "it doesn't show that in my system" which only underlined the incompetency of the staff (Chris was the only one working). The room we had (115) had what looked like burn marks all over the bathroom floor and had a general feeling of being dirty and run down. And needless to say, we did not feel very safe after Chris' comments about a room so filled with drugs that it couldn't be cleaned. If you don't mind a dirty, drug infested hotel with incompetent staff, stay here. If you're looking to enjoy yourself, go somewhere else

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank john l
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is a great hotel! The staff was very helpful and professional. The room was ok with the cutting board dirty (looked like coffee was spilled on it) when I initially went in but everything else was great! It has a nice desk area that had great storage and with a roll out desk that can go anywhere in the room as an extended desk, second desk, or table. A name brand flat screen tv with all cable HD channels was great! The bed was also very soft and comfortable. There was a lot of snow while I was there and they had the parking lot very well cleaned and had shovels and other equipment to get snow off cars which was also very helpful. Overall a great experience and would go there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John Y
Reviewed February 2, 2012

The rooms are not luxurious, but the place is clean, the free breakfast is good, and it is close to hospitals. The night-time staff were not as customer-focused as the day staff, and told us we could not have a late check-out. The day staff granted multiple late checkouts the next morning. Suggest walking for dinner to Le Central restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. Our stay here was quite pleasant. We got a one bedroom suite which is good enough to fit 2 persons only!

PRO's
-clean room fit for 2 with new furnishings.
-flat screen tv but faced towards the sofa/living area and cant swivel towards the bed. Good tv channel selection
-room is well lighted
-small kitchenette with microwave and big ref. Big trashcan a bonus
-good continental breakfast: bread and select pastries, cereal, yogurt, coffee/hot cocoa/tea, juice and milk
-short walk to few good restos - burger king, starbucks, mexican resto

CON's
-no courtesy airport shuttle so we got super shuttle instead (additional cost of $40 roundtrip per person). All other marriots in denver seem to have except for this one.
-long walk to downtown - 25 mins or so in the freezing cold isn't a good idea! Better to take a cab which will cost about $9
-long

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed 5 nights at the TownePlace Suites while having some remodeling done at our house. It was very comfortable for us, with a well appointed kitchenette, cozy seating area, good bed. and desk. While the walls were a bit thin, everything else was to our liking and our time there was quite enjoyable. Since I don't have a laptop, I especially appreciated the computer with internet access in the lobby area where I could check my emails each morning. The fitness center is small, but all the machines were in working order and it was very clean. I recommend TownePlace for anyone traveling to Denver; it's great for an extended stay

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed for 10 days at the TownePlace Suites with my Mom & sister while I was at National Jewish Health. The main reason we ended up at TownePlace was due to price & free shuttle to & from the hospital. I'm not a big fan of "extended stay" hotels - but good economics and a place to have a "home cooked meal" rather than eating out every meal was the goal.

I was a little worried when I checked in - the lobby was small, and not very easy to navigate with luggage - even for those without any disabilities. The rooms had obviously been updated recently - but we could hear our neighbors above & beside us, and we often smelled food from other rooms.

The proximity to Denver Health means you will hear ambulances & emergency vehicles during the night. The neighborhood looked a little "iffy" - but I came to appreciate the location for convenience to the interstates, grocery stores, restaurants & a nice mall not to far away.

But the staff at this hotel were so kind and helpful - and every we request we made for extra towels, pillows, restaurant and grocery store recommendations, maintenance for a hair dryer that died - were immediately addressed. Free wi-fi made it easy to keep up with work & family. When my schedule changed at the hospital and I needed a shuttle to NJH for an appointment at 7:00 am, the shuttle driver was cheerful and didn't treat me like I was a problem - even though I was the only one on the shuttle that early. And the included breakfast was ready at 6:00 am, with free copies of the WSJ.

While I would give the overall hotel building/rooms a lower score of no more than 3 - the friendly, attentive staff at this hotel make-up for a lot. Without the staff going above & beyond at this hotel - I probably wouldn't consider returning just due to the "thin walls" and proximity to Denver Health ER.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family