“Don't bother”

Ranked #614 of 3,021 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Ahh, new bar smell. Kind of like new car smell - except new car smell is the smell of PVC, Phthalates, and other things that we will someday learn were likely unhealthy to inhale. But enough of my buzzkill eco-babble...The Pioneer is brand spanking new, but is also exactly like every just-off-campus lounge that you’ve ever loved. Great vibe, cool booths, nice bar, requisite memorabilia from the local college (University of Denver aka DU), and a staff that lives to treat you right. Oh, and there is none of that stale barf smell like you had at that place you were just reminiscing about (for me, it was College Hill Tavern). Ursula and the rest of the team run this place like the well-oiled machines that rolled out of there back when it was a filling station. On a Saturday at 5:00, I stroll in for a sloppy Chicken Burrito (really tasty - they were roasting a whole bushel of fresh Poblano peppers on the grill as I walked in). Seating Darwinism gives me full control over where I grab a table - e.g. the best one to watch USC crush some lesser team. The big garage door is up, like the maw of a Whale Shark letting in the great afternoon Colorado breeze and showing off the patio. (I am winning a bet that I couldn’t use "maw" in an analogy - so just deal with it). And then the babes start showing up. Quality babes. I mean, "my-folks-pay-$40K-per-year for DU, I wear William Rast jeans (don’t ask how I know this stuff), and I don’t patronize vomit-smelling pubs" hot. So let’s recap: Unique place with an old soul. Great staff. Cold Drinks well poured. Cool hockey and other memorabilia, including a ski autographed by DU's 2008 NCAA National Champion Ski Team. Quality affordable food that is predominantly Mexican in nature. I’m forgetting something... oh yeah, chicks. If that sounds like your kind of place, then give the Pioneer a whirl. From tenured Profs to just-legal Sophs, this place is the ticket. Go right now. Neighborhoods served: DU, Observatory Park, Washington Park, Bonnie Brae, Cherry Hills.
Colorado
“Don't bother”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Smarmy and rude workers. Exceptionally poor service. Beer selection not very good. Food not very good. You'll find that just about any other eating establishment is a better choice.

• Visited January 2012