“Interesting, different and hip”
Review of Fuel Cafe

Fuel Cafe
Ranked #1,309 of 3,084 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington & Ringsby Court
Reviewed June 17, 2012

As other reviewers have noted, it is a bit hard to find this place. It is in an industrial turned trendy urban residential area and seems to be colocated with other businesses. Once found, there is ample parking, outdoor seating which was very pleasant, and indoor seating with a cool, hip vibe. There is a bar area as well. Service could not have been more pleasant, however, not so efficient. A few beverages were forgotten. They were out of at least one of the drinks on the menu and our bill was incorrect. We shared several small plates and a couple entrees and enjoyed the food. I loved the cold cucumber soup and the gnocchi. The lamb was delicious. The octopus seemed a bit chewy, but it was my first try at that, so what do I know. The four of us shared the three dessert offerings on the menu and loved them.
It's hard to rate this place. It is a fun, informal, trendy cafe with cool waitstaff who seem to try hard to please, and the food that we had was excellent so on those points, I would give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, but on the details of service, probably a 5 or 6. Don't let anything I say stop you from trying this place. Once you find it, it really is worth a visit.

There are newer reviews for Fuel Cafe

Reviewed November 22, 2011

The plan: meet up with clients for a lunch business meeting @ Fuel cafe. Being that I'm from Denver, and having worked in the area when I was just a teen, I knew the area. I also goggled it and got my compass set. Upon arrival, I had no idea where the place was. Address, correct. But then finding it was another thing. After 10 minutes of looking, I finally had one of my clients who had already arrived, come out to the parking lot to flag me down. Onward and upward. Fuel cafe is in the funky, cool nouveau decor category. On this cool day, it was a bit cool in the restaurant as well, not only temperature wise but decor wise with plenty of concrete and cinder block to go around. No big deal but not for those looking for a stereotypical romantic spot. Service was slow and spotty. The food was actually very tasty. I had a salad with smoked trout which was not over dressed and very good. Other dishes on the table, salads and sandwiches, were also well received. My only complaint, besides the service, was the serving portions. Sure, I am a charter member of the clean plate club and maybe this is a clue to how good the food was, but I would have liked more salad. That said, Fuel Cafe is above average with the quality of there food but average in their serving portions and service (well maybe a bit below average in service).

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Very difficult to locate - drove past it twice, but still arrived 1/2 an hour before our reservation. Plenty of room at the bar. Ordered a grey goose martini only to be told they were out of grey goose. Couldn't get bar tenders attention and waited 15 minutes for the second drink as we were now well past our reservation time. The space has all hard surfaces making it difficutlt to hear a convers. We finally were seated 1/2 an hour after our reservation.
The small plates were excellent. We had the home made mozzeralla with basil; polenta with crispy pork bellies and the duck confit. For entrees we chose the pork chop (okay), the cavatelli sausage (okay) and the trout (again, just average).
Managed to share a great desert of bacon/banana sauce with pastries filled with nutella. Unfortunately, the restauarant was out of de-caffinated coffee.
So, while the meal overall was good, the lack of service and being out of the above mentioned drinks excludes this place from being on Denver's finest list.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

A little off beat and a little off the beaten path. Young, hip and refreshing. Limited but creative menu. Well prepared and well served.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We had the biscuit appetizer. We loved that they were tiny. Got all the taste and not so many calories. Husband had the chicken dish. Delicious. I was intrigued by the bean lasagna and especially after I saw it on the table next to us. We will definitely be back. Our server was helpful and he made us feel very welcome.

Been to Fuel Cafe? Share your experiences!