“Location and room - great, service - not so much”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver - Downtown / Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, ON
“Location and room - great, service - not so much”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed at the Embassy Suites for a conference, and was very pleased with the room when I first arrived. Good size, good work space. The bed was wonderful - had great sleeps all 4 nights I was there. The property is a LEED one - which is good. There is a Starbucks right beside the hotel (and you can charge to your room). Both the bedroom and the living area have flat panel TVs, with appropriate quality for the channels you get on them.

Downside had a lot to do with the service received. The staff was very pleasant - no question on this. The first night I placed a wake up call for the next morning. My phone rang just as I was going to bed but did not think anything of it. Wake up call did not arrive the next morning - I figured out then that the call the night before had been it - they put in my room number (on the 11th floor) as the wake up time. Not good.

The largest issue was when the housekeeping staff decided that the business receipts on the side of the desk were not really needed .. and threw them out!! Never had this happen in likely over 1000 hotel nights in my life. Called and mentioned this - they checked but could not find them, So, likely out more than a few dollars on that. They also threw out earplugs I had on the side of the bed. Never heard from a manager or anything with more detailed follow up or apology.

Ordered room service a couple of nights - first night it was to take 30 minutes, called down after 45 and was told it would just be a minute - ended up being 10 more. Second time I ordered a medium well burger and it was medium rare - but it did show up promptly.

As others have mentioned the add on charges for internet and parking can really add up - I received complimentary internet but it would definitely not be cheap otherwise.,

Coffee service was not completely replenished one of the nights.

So - the location (right across from the convention center) is fabulous, the room is great, but the level of service and follow up is not anywhere near on par with the room and furnishings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank twokidsonecat
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver - Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. We take great pride in being one of the top hotels in the Denver area. I wanted to apologize that your stay did not reflect this at all. I can assure you that I will be sharing your comments with our entire team, so they can use this as a training tool. Please feel free to contact me directly at Joe.Pilakowski@embassysuitesdenverdowntown.com and I would love to discuss this with you further. Again I'm sorry this took place and I look forward to hearing from you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, CO
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel could not be in a better location. It is neighbors with the Denver Convention Center, only blocks from all the shopping on the 16th Street Mall, and within walking distance to Coors Field. We were in a huge hurry to walk to a nearby appointment when we arrived and were relieved when the valets were prompt and helpful in taking our car and getting us on our way. Yes, you have to pay over $30 for nightly parking but unfortunately you have to pay for parking anywhere you park so it may as well be in the garage. When I explained I was at the hotel celebrating a birthday, the staff upgraded my room to a mountain view which is worth it if you aren't from Colorado. The breakfast was very good considering it was complementary and included made to order omlets, muffins, cereals, juice, potatoes, scrambled eggs, sausage, etc. Room was equally as good though the pillows weren't terribly soft which some Empassy Suites have. My only complaint was the coffee both in our room and at breakfast was terrible. Not a big deal considering there is a Starbucks next door.

Room Tip: Go for the Mountain View- it faces directly west and you get an entire view of all the mountains as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver - Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I hope that you had a great birthday and we are thrilled that you chose to spend it with us! We appreciate the wonderful feedback you shared about your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for three nights at the end of March. From the moment we arrived, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We met several members of the staff; all of which were incredibly friendly. When we saw the staff after our initial meeting, each one said hello to us by name and had a conversation with us. I've stayed at many hotels throughout the world and have rarely received that kind of customer service. The hotel itself is beautiful and clean. Our room was quite spacious and had a great view of the mountains. I loved that we could walk to virtually any place downtown from the hotel. We couldn't believe how great the breakfast and happy hour were that were included in our rate. There was a great assortment of food and beverage at both. I appreciated the fresh fruit and the made-to-order-omelette station at breakfast. The seating area was fantastic - plenty of tables, high ceilings, and several TVs placed around so that you could easily watch from any place or not watch as they were placed in a non-distracting manner. Really, you cannot beat the deal you receive at this hotel. I give special thanks to Ron Richards for making our stay so wonderful! Thank you!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank megs07305
It's great to hear that you and your boyfriend had such a great stay at our hotel! We take great pride in our customer service here and I'm glad that my staff was able to take care of both of you! I will make sure to share you comments with Ron and our entire team! Next time you are in the area please stop by and say hello!
Manitou Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our third stay here within the last six months. The first two were perfect. This time was not quite up to the same level. On the first night there was a line out the door for the evening happy hour. Later we tried to have a drink in the bar. We waited 20 minutes at a table without being acknowledged before going to the bar. The bar shares the room with the restaurant. Only one bartender and one waitress on for the whole place. They were working hard, but they needed more help. The in room coffee pot did not work. I will say that the replacement came quickly. There was a lot of mildew around the top of the tub. That's not something I go looking for, especially in Colorado, but that doesn't speak well for deep cleaning. The first morning we couldn't get near the breakfast buffet. The second we did, but the food was not nearly as good as last time, and later in the day both of us felt that something we ate had not agreed with us. Lets leave it at that. Bottom line: beautiful hotel, friendly and accommodating staff, but not enough help.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deb R
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver - Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We appreciate you choosing to stay at our hotel again, however it is discouraging to hear that it was not as good as last time. As you know this is definitely not the standard at our hotel, and I can assure you that it will be addressed. Next time you are in the Denver area please feel free to contact me directly and I will make sure that you are well taken care of!
Black Hills
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Professional staff. Quiet suite. Clean. Convenient location. Parking valet exceptional but cost adds up on total bill with the 15% tax. A family of six can expect to be put on the top floor in a corner (based on two separate trips a full year apart) along with other families. Still very quiet. If you want to be downtown this is recommended. Enjoy.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

1 Thank SkiBlackHills
Thank you for providing us with a great review from your recent stay! We appreciate the feedback and we look forward to seeing you again!
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent two nights here with wife and kids. The suite was perfect for us. Staff was very friendly and professional. Good location for hitting the 16th Street Mall. Great deal when you figure the free breakfast.

2 Thank dharmabum100
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver - Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for providing us with a great review about your recent stay. I hope you choose to visit us again in the near future!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I really hate to rate this average, the location was great. Near shopping, plenty of Denver’s finest restaurants and close to something very near and dear to my heart, the Rockies stadium. But with competing hotels nearby, I won’t stay here again. I just can’t understand why they put so much effort in upgrades but let the rooms get so disgusting. I have stayed in some pretty seedy places however, not at this price. We could not get the water to turn off so we had to call maintenance when all we wanted to do was sleep. The coffee pots were so gross and stained with previous attendants coffee drippings, that I vetoed the morning coffee. I grabbed a face towel only to realize some form of sticky substance held it together..that one almost gave me nightmares..gross.. oh and the cleaning staff knocks on your door before 9am and asks if you are leaving soon..

1 Thank Sha D
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review on TripAdvisor! I apologize about the quality of your suite as this is certainly not the standard at our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team to use as a training tool moving forward. If you are ever in the area again please contact me directly and I will make sure that you are well taken care of!