“Good date spot”
Review of Satchel's on 6th

Satchel's on 6th
Reserve with OpenTable
Satchel's on 6th is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #460 of 3,095 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th and Gilpin
Transit: 6th and Gilpin.
Description: This was perhaps the BEST dining experience I've had! A celebration was held here, and everyone (18 people) raved about the food.
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The interior is cozy and warm. Good place for a date. The food was very good. We had a Salmon dish and a flat iron steak. The sides of a grilled Cesar and Brussel sprouts were very good. Desert was good. The service was a little slow. Water was not refilled, and we never got our basket of bread. They were about 90% filled for Restaurant week.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I will start this off by saying that I will likely give this restaurant another chance (and will update my review if there is improvement) for a couple reasons....First, we ate on a Sunday evening and i'm going to ASSUME that the head chef was off, and second it was restaurant week for 5280 so I know things get a little hectic and they do not have their normal menu available. I will rarely judge a restaurant by a set special occasion menu that messes with their normal flow. It's a small place with maybe 12 tables and is quaint and quiet enough for me to have no complaints about the atmosphere. Being restaurant week, they had their 3 course menu with multiple selections for each course, and the price was $26.40 per person (or $52.80 per couple). We ate with another couple and had 6 orders of the menu so that we could try a large variety. The menu itself was varied and promising but the actual food was the issue. We started with the short rib which was extremely dry on the outside and had clearly either not been glazed properly when finishing or had sat under a heat lamp for so long that the meat had absorbed any moisture on the outside. Im going to guess the lack of proper glazing though as the beans were cooked perfectly. The flavor was good thought the broth could have used some skimming. The arincini was excellent and had good texture which is why i was surprised the risotto cake was so back (i'll get to that later). We also had the butternut squash soup which was delicious. The last different app that we had was the "duck fat" fries. Having had and made duck fat fries countless times, i very seriously question if there was any duck fat actually involved in the process as while they were good fries, there was none of the aromatic richness that should come with something fried in duck fat. If they truly skipped on using duck fat or just used a small amount with a larger portion of another fat they should be ashamed....onto the mains....My wife had the salmon with orange chiplotle glaze and slaw. There was little to no flavor of glaze and salmon was horrendously overcooked to the point of turning white on the edges. As with amost EVRY SINGLE DISH we had it lacked something as simple as salt (I am not someone who likes things salty but everything tasted as if they had just forgotten to put ANY in). The slaw also had little to no flavor. I had the duck breast with cherry reduction and risotto cake. The risotto had been overcooked a long time before turning it into cake, lacked ANY seasoning and was like paste on the inside. The duck breast itself was cooked properly but again lacked any seasoning and the cherry reduction was more like a weak cherry water. We also tried the Orechette which was heavy handed in whatever was giving it heat, so much so that you couldnt really taste anything. The prime rib in the Orechette reminded me of the little meatballs in spaghetti O's as a kid so that was kind of off putting. The steak frites was cooked well but again lacked seasoning. Probably the best overall tasting dish was the burger (again lacking salt though) but if you're going to serve a burger make sure the patty is not a half inch smaller than the bun all the way around....you're a restaurant not a food cart. I wont really blame them for the disastrous desserts because being such a small restaurant they obviously dont have the space for pastry or a pastry chef. We had the chocolate mouse from a local bakery which was fine (not sure why cold mouse was served on a hot plate but whatever) and the cookies which were below average at best but not sure where they were from. We did not try the poached pears with blue cheese.....A solid selection of a few good desserts from a local place would have been a much better idea than what they came up with...i'm pretty easy, a good cheescake to end the night and i'm happy, not some stale cookie. The service was excellent and they had some good wines on discount that helped out with the poor meal. like I said, I will be giving them another chance once they are back to normal service, but if it's anything like last nights meal it will be their last chance.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My daughter and I recently dined at Satchel's. (She had been there with the previous chef). I would have to say we were both disappointed in the food. The service was very good, and the wine we ordered good, but the only items we really enjoyed were the brussel sprouts(again nothing special just good), and the butternut squash soup. The pork belly my daughter had was an almost unidentifiable brown chunk...very chewy and tasted like a piece of well done meat. Other items not worth mentioning. The ambience is minimal (metal chairs, kind fast food type seating arrangement), so when this is the case, then I think the food should really be the show stopper...this was not the case. Couldn't recommend.

2  Thank Nordic1
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Need a quiet, comfortable, "in" spot for dinner? Here it is! The food is fabulous along with a great wine list. The staff will take extra care of you and you will walk out feeling full and content and will still have enough in your wallet to have dinner out another night.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

What a true neighborhood gem... I'm almost hesitant to write an 'excellent' review because I am selfish and want to keep this restaurant all to myself!! :) BUT... it deserves the EXCELLENT review because it was just that - ambiance, servers, cuisine. I ordered the squid salad and was surprised at how much flavor they created by grilling the meat, and I loved the touch of green garbanzos. The seafood stew was so rich and delicious, meat perfectly cooked. The small order of gnocchi was plenty to eat, and packed with amazing flavor - I even asked for another piece of bread to sop up all the sauce, it was that good. Our waiter from France was very personable and helpful at recommending dishes. I've been called a 'foodie' and this place is doing a great job at keeping it interesting and delectable here in Denver, as well as offering a nice wine selection. All I can say is that I will be back, you can guarantee it :) Thank you for such a nice surprise!

Been to Satchel's on 6th? Share your experiences!