“Unsafe, Dingy, Poorly Equipped, Slow Internet, Deposit Difficulties!”
Review of The Cambridge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Cambridge
Ranked #6 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Denver
Reviewed October 3, 2012

TERRIBLE. These are the problems I experienced with the Cambridge:

1. Unwillingness to reasonably refund the $1000 security deposit. After leaving the Cambridge, I was informed that I had taken a bath towel, washcloth, and clock radio. All I could find was the washcloth, but stated that I would happily buy them a new clock radio and reimburse them for the value of the washcloth and towel. The property manager initially assessed a $215 penalty for these three items. After I expressed displeasure at such an extreme fee, to "show grace" (his words) he agreed to reduce the charge to $160. Rather than fight this ridiculous charge, I just accepted the fee. The next day I notice the towel and washcloth on sale at Macy's for a total of $12. The clock radio was probably also about a $12 item.

2. UNSAFE! The building is located a half block north of a stretch of Colfax Avenue that is populated with hookers and drug dealers. Homeless people often hang out by the back door of the building, which is situated in an alley that is not easily viewable to the public. I was sometimes nervous for my safety going in that door at night.

3. NO PARKING! All the parking in the area is metered, so you will have to rent a monthly spot at one of the lots in the area. That added another $150/month to my rent.

4. SLOW INTERNET. Like really slow. I tried to Skype with friends, but gave up. And the server randomly kicks you off and makes you re-enter your password, which makes it unreliable for doing business at home.

5. DINGY AND POORLY EQUIPPED. The common areas are dingy and poorly maintained, particularly laundry room. Only 2 driers, one of which ate all my quarters but only worked for 5 minutes. And despite the fact that I rented the hyped "executive studio" that was equipped with a supposedly remodeled kitchen, that kitchen failed to have a single drinking glass. And the bathroom didn't have a single hook or rod to hang a towel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank TimMcDev

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at The Cambridge for a weekend. The apartment was clean, comfy, and the location just couldn't be beat. We came to Denver for a concert being held at The Paramount Theater. We walked to the concert, walked to LoDo, walked to the Molly Brown Museum, walked to The Brown Palace. We never had to take a cab anywhere because we were in the middle of everything. Suzie, the on-site manager, went out of her way to make sure our visit to Denver was a great one. And, it was! We're hoping to return to Denver soon, and we'll definitely stay at The Cambridge.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed for two months at The Cambridge.It was a great choice within walking distance to museums, theaters, 16th Street Mall, RTD bus station. The apartment was clean, very quiet, safe and well appointed. Variety of grocery stores and restaurants in the neighborhood.
Suzie, the on-site manager, is very helpful and went out of her way to make my stay pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms in 2nd floor offer good view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank vmd22
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The downtown location is a block and a half away from the beautiful Capitol building, amazing museums, a fabulous public library, the Mint, etc., and a short drive from anywhere else a tourist might want to go (the zoo, the science museum, the botanic gardens, Casa Bonita, etc.)

In early October, it was safe at night for me, a woman, and my small children. We saw some homeless folk as we walked about, as well as all over downtown Denver, but nothing and no one remotely dangerous. The carpets and elevators were a bit dated, but the service was friendly, honest, and kind, the rooms are clean, the free wifi is fast and reliable, and the value for a week's stay can't be beat. We had a great visit!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Worn out, dated and strange, it's like going back in time in a really bad way.
Bad furniture, bad air, bad management, bad vibes.
Crazy lease, you will pay a penalty for using profanity, burning candles or incense, and changing a light bulb.
If your plans change after you book a room, not only will they charge you the deposit, but will then attempt to charge you the full amount for the entire lease!
I would be hesitant even at 50% of their rates.
See Ya...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank darnocthegood
thecambridge, General Manager at The Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

This review was from an individual who never occupied a Unit in the building. She was upset at her check-in and chose to relocate to the Hyatt. As a result, she lost her deposit and her rent payment as we were unable to re-rent the Unit for that period. In fact, she disputed the charges with her credit card company and they ruled against her. Therefore, this is her way to retaliate.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed here while on a pleasure trip to Denver and the National Western Stockshow. The proximity of The Cambridge to downtown Denver is excellent. The room we stayed in was very clean and comfortable. The bed and linens were very nice. Our stay was quiet and relaxing. The manager Susie was very helpful and easy to work with. We would stay here again, and recommend The Cambridge to anyone looking for an economical, comfortable, and convenient place to stay in the heart of downtown Denver

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Suzi, the manager, was very helpful and accommodating. She found out we were there for a surgery and went out of her way to provide exactly what we needed without our asking. I feel like I made a good friend. The location is ideal; only two blocks to 16th Street Mall and main bus station. I never felt threatened walking after dark. It was very quiet. I will always choose The Cambridge Suites when in Denver.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business