“My Memories are Better”

Forney Museum of Transportation
Ranked #14 of 272 things to do in Denver
Reviewed August 18, 2013

When we lived in Colorado back in the 1960's, Dad once to me to the Forney collection. It was located in a different location then and not in this fairly bleak industrial area of Denver. My eight-year old enthusiasm may have been at work, but I enjoyed it far more back then.

On this hot day in June, 2013, this overly warm and poorly-lit exhibition hall was mostly containing some early 20th-century autos, and nearly half the floor space was displaying postwar Cadillacs, every one of which was on loan for a temporary exhibit. Had these Caddys not been here, the collection would have been very thin.

What I did remember from my youth was the Big Boy locomotive, evidently then and now the only survivor of this magnificent beast. It is a static display; I suspect that if this monster was operational, the costs to operate it would bankrupt your average emerging nation, and it would devastate the track upon which it was set. It's that big, and the best reason to visit this collection. Plenty of free parking, a friendly staff and an interesting museum store.

1  Thank horizonbound
in 5 reviews
"industrial area"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a cool museum near the convention center. It is a hidden gem! Admission is $8 for adults.
The museum has trains, cars, bicycles, horse drawn carriages and motorcycles. There is a nice selection of old Cadillacs. The locomotives are also very interesting to see. There is a small gift shop as well. Parking is free.

4  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed August 5, 2013

A little of everything. I enjoyed it all from the massive train engines to the bicycles. A couple of the unique cars up until now I had only seen on TV. I highly recommend.

2  Thank BSC12
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Husband is car buff, but I had a blast here. Beautiful collection of early twentieth century cars, then equally fabulous display of mid-century cadillacs, complete with fins, leather interiors. This place looks like an old battered warehouse from the outside, but inside is filled with wonder. Don't miss it.

3  Thank Keatyp