“Good food, but do not go until the ventilation is fixed as the place is full of smoke”
Review of TAG Restaurante

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 15th Street
Reviewed April 8, 2014

When I confirmed in person a few days before our dinner I noticed the place smelled of smoke and it was clearly smoky inside, but I was told that it was temporary. When we got to dinner the first thing we noticed was the smoke. We sat near the door so that helped. The food was great though and you forget a bit about the odor during the meal. I had an ahi taco appetizer and wife had butterfish and crab which were both great. My wife had the lemongrass chicken with fried rice and a curry and I the miso cod which too were excellent. The food was the best we had in Denver. After I used the restroom that was on a “smoke free” floor it was awful to go back to the restaurant. We left shortly thereafter. The workers agreed the smoke was bad and worse for them as they had to work under those conditions on a regular basis. We were surprised the management hasn’t fixed the problem and they passed inspection. I would not eat here until the ventilation is fixed- for the sake of patrons and staff.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The food was excellent, fresh, creatively presented and the staff was very friendly. Sitting at the bar where you can see the kitchen was fun too.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I expected more. Based on the reviews, I had very high expectations that just weren't quite met. I absolutely love the atmosphere, the service was well above average. Our server, Heather, had the most beautiful accent (I know I can't judge on that, but it was a nice bonus) and was very prompt and helpful. The plating and presentation was top-notch, as well. The food itself, however, fell a little short for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. My girlfriend ordered the vegitarian special, which was absolutely loaded with feta cheese. She was unable to eat it and even though I love feta, it was even too much for me. My Australian sea bass was good and cooked well, but a bit on the bland and forgettable side. I would return for the atmosphere with a group of friends, but I would not return for the food.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Food well executed, but simply not outstanding.
I confess I expected more, based on the reviews.
Went for dinner on a busy night and the service was caos.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Was in Denver for business and sat at the bar for an early dinner. Hostess was professional and friendly.

Started with the flash seared kampachi which had a citrus/sweet flavor. I thought the fish could have been sliced a little thinner, but it was fresh and the flavor was excellent.

Next i had the tuna tacos which were awesome! I only wanted to try one and i ended up eating all 4. Im already dreaming about going back for another order.

Next i had the korean short ribs which were a bit of a let down. They tasted fine but i think after the success of the first two dishes they were a little pedestrian. They were served with cucumber salad but i think there is probably a better pairing.

Also had the caramelized butterfish appetizer. The fish was light and perfectly cooked.

For dessert i had the banana cream pie which was good but a little too cutting edge. Not their fault, i probably just enjoy the traditional version more. The flavor was fine and the portion size was good.

Service was excellent. Bartender helped with all menu choices and kept the drinks filled. Food also came out fast and dishes were cleared and silverware replaced right away.

All in all, the food and service were excellent and I'm looking forward to going back.