“Pleasant ballpark, brutal food lines, disengaged fans”
Review of Coors Field

and up
Denver Guided Sightseeing Tour on Motor Scooters
Ranked #3 of 255 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: A modern stadium with an old-fashioned feel, this is one of the National League's first new parks built exclusively for baseball since 1962.
Chicago, Illinois
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Pleasant ballpark, brutal food lines, disengaged fans”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went to three games at Coors last month, as part of my pal Joe's and my annual Cubs Road-trip.

We walked from our hotel a mile away. The approach to the park is impressive. The exterior architecture is intriguing. We weren't sure how it fit into the neighborhood, but it did. Maybe re-used materials? It doesn't knock your socks off, but is a warm welcome to the game. You can buy bottled water (stay hydrated...you're a mile high!) and peanuts from vendors outside for much cheaper than inside. Courteous ticket-takers & ushers. Easy to find seats. Cramped johns.

The stadium has interesting nooks and crannies (not cookie-cutter). In some places, you can see the Rocky Mountains. ( We saw a blazing sunset from the RF upper deck). In other places, you glimpse downtown. We sat in 3 different places during the weekend; good sight-lines, although the upper deck seats are really high up.

The video scoreboard is a reminder that big (and loud) doesn't necessarily enhance the fan experience. I'm old-school. I keep score. I monitor pitch count. Between innings, I want to see scores from other games around MLB, not be bombarded with some "fan involvement" gimmick ("For a free hot dog, Trixie, can you tell us what catcher Jo-Jo Jones's favorite color is?" Oy.

Speaking of hot dogs, food and beer lines were brutal. I blew 3 innings Friday night waiting for an overpriced beer and a cheeseburger that was a mess.

And speaking of fans, they seemed disengaged. I didn't see anyone keeping score except Joe & me. Fans only stirred when the behemoth video board instructed them to "Make Noise!" I was waiting for the scoreboard to command them to "Wake up!" And there is no worse reflection of a stadium culture than the Wave, which Rockies' fans do with regularity. People: Real fans don't do the Wave.

One fun feature is the line of purple seats that wrap around the stadium's upper deck indicating a mile above sea level.

For post-game fun, there are several bars and a lively street scene nearby.

Other than the bored fans, obnoxious scoreboard and inhumane lines, my Coors experience was positive.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“The venue is always the star; not so the team”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The views and the cleanliness of the stadium are top notch. Beer is, of course, way overpriced. The Rockies are perennially mediocre - and that's in a good year.

Visited August 2013
Westfield, Massachusetts
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Beautiful Ball Park!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We attended a nightgame here and were impressed. The ball park is very clean and well maintained. The seat prices are very cheap compared to most ball parks I have visited. The surrounding area offers many restaurants and bars to chose from. You can find private parking for approx. $10 just 3 blocks from the park.

Visited August 2013
Cortez, Colorado, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A suite is the way to go!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I hosted a reunion of Marine vets in a suite at Coors Field. We entered through a VIP entrance and were escorted up to our suite. There was plenty of seating inside and outside and we had our own attendant who made sure the bar was stocked and food ready. The suite is a sweet way to go!

Visited September 2012
Denver, Colorado
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Ball Park Win or Lose!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

From my very first game during the Rockies Opening Season - this has been a wonderful place to enjoy a baseball game. It's well designed and easy to navigate. Reachable from RTD Light Rail (with a short walk).

I try to sit along the 3rd base line (faces north), so out of the direct sun. Along the 1st base line you see the mountains but get the afternoon sun in you face!

"Take me out to the ballgame ..."

Visited July 2013