“Last Birthday Dinner of the Month”
Review of Bon Ami

Bon Ami
Reserve a Table
Tue, 5/21
8:00 PM
Ranked #561 of 3,553 Restaurants in Denver
Reviewed March 1, 2019

February was my a milestone birthday which was filled with celebration. Yay for me.

I celebrated the last night of my birthday month with a friend and colleague. I picked Bon Ami since it was in the neighborhood, new (to me) and French (target cuisine).

They have done a fantastic job with the decor - it is comfortable, modern and beautiful. I particularly like the light fixtures. Super cute bikes.

Prior to dinner, my husband and I had a glass of wine at the bar. The bar area is relatively small but sits about 10 folks. A nice play to come back for a quiet happy hour. Especially with the 1/2 price bottles of wine.

Once my friend arrived, I said goodbye to my husband and was seated in the dining room. I had forgotten it was restaurant week but was pleased to find out that Bon Ami was participating.

We started with fresh bread and butter. Simple, yet good. High quality on both fronts.

For an appetizer, I had the mussels in the cream sauce. Exactly as described - creamy and garlicky. Mussels were done really well. For dinner, I went the traditional route - beef bourguignon. The preparation was delicious. The meat was incredibly tender and savory. Never straying far, I finished with chocolate mousse. Mmmmm.

This is a great neighborhood place, with good prices and great ambiance. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed February 23, 2019

Having waited to see how Bon Ami would fare in the market, we expected it to be a good deal better than our experience proved to be. The food is better than average on the whole. The service was at best indifferent, drinks sub par. Having anticipated it to be on a different level than it has proven to be. We will remain patrons of Merise and gladly send others there. But, other than for crepes in a large variety we found little to make us want to return. Bluntly, it left us cold.

Reviewed February 11, 2019 via mobile

Bon Amie is our once a week must have. It’s the best addition to Wash Park in ages. Great quality and really good value. Love the staff. A must try. Colin and Marian

Reviewed January 27, 2019

Been here a few times. Service is nominally friendly but essentially indifferent. We get the impression that the servers don't really want to be there (and they certainly don't care if you're there). Food is OK, but nothing to write home about. Greeter is cold and business-like. Probably won't be back any time soon.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 14, 2019 via mobile

As a francophile, I LOVE French cuisine! Bon Ami is a wonderful new country-style French restaurant at north end of Wash Park (Alameda and Pennsylvania). They have only been open for about six months.

Especially since Le Central closed a few years ago, Denver should warmly embrace this great new affordable French bistro!

Happy hour is amazing! (M-F 4PM-6PM) We set a reservation for 6 p.m., but got there about 20 minutes early. Discounts include half-off bottles of wine, and $10 shareable appetizers! (Get the mussels!)

Wine: they have a great selection of French wines at an affordable price point, especially when they're half off! We tried a full-bodied Cab-Sav from the Bordeaux region. It was excellent!

The wait staff was very attentive and helped make some great recommendations. We settled on sharing the moules at frites prepared in a garlic cream sauce. The mussels tasted very fresh, and the sauce hit the spot! They also offer a tomato sauce version. The fries were thin and crisp served with a mayonnaise sauce, Belgian-style. The mussels are one of the things I miss the most about Le Central, but Bon Ami does an excellent job. Bob ordered a cup of French onion soup. He really liked the flavor! You can tell they spend a lot of tender loving care in that complex recipe!

Aside from the major French staples including Boef Bourginion, Bon Ami offers a very healthy selection of crepes that can be eaten as a full sized entree. Bob ordered the Cordon Bleu crepe served in a mornay sauce, while Travis ordered the La Merise crepe which was filled with beef tenderloin covered in a gruyere cheese sauce. We all agreed that Travis' selection was the best crepe of the two.
I ordered the beef tips entree. I asked for the beef to be cooked rare, and the chef did a great job! It was served like a stew in a red wine, mushroom and cream sauce, pairing nicely with extra creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes along sauteed vegetables.

We skipped dessert completely, but I am excited to see what they offer the next time I visit.

Bon Appetit! They also serve brunch...which sounds so tempting!!!

Date of visit: January 2019

Been to Bon Ami? Share your experiences!