“Bon Ami”

Mon, 6/17
8:00 PM
Ranked #565 of 3,568 Restaurants in Denver
Reviewed October 3, 2018

One of those cafes that you hear about from friends that when patronizing, the place, it absolutely makes your day (or in our case, it made our evening).
Bon Ami is a real treat. A charming interior and attentive staff. Excellent French menu including an extensive, attractive offering of crepe varieties which we are eager to try on our next visit. We ordered the evening special sole meuniere (excellent - perfectly prepared) preceded by their beet salad. (also, very good). With two glasses of delightful French wine (previously not known to us), they served a small selection of sliced baguette (would have better served warm). The serving staff were attentive and friendly (would, perhaps, like to have had them check on us a bit more often but not off puttingly so).
Highly recommended.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 25, 2018

Bon ami is a nice little neighborhood gem, especially in the warmer months. I enjoy sharing a bottle of wine when it's 50% off, so get in before 6pm! The food is very good and fresh.

Reviewed September 15, 2018

Cute French bistro with a large selection of crepes and other interesting tidbits. Decent Bloody Mary. We ate on patio and it was a lovely day and lovely decor. My lox crepe was tasty as was the pea crab soup. My husband had fish and chips which was ok but not great. I would probably rate this a 5 if it were not for the slow service. We waited quite a while for everything. Maybe they were short-staffed of a Saturday for lunch. Neither of us felt 'full' after our lunch either but I think that is kind of a French thing. Portion control! So do not expect to need a doggy bag.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

I've been pretty stingy with my 5 star reviews in recent years. I think a lot of this new crop of restaurants that are popping up are largely mediocre in both food and service. I wasn't really expecting to be blown away tonight when I booked this place for dinner on an unseasonably chilly and damp summer night but French bistro fare sounded so good and boy do I have a new "bon ami". Quelle surprise! The only thing that would have made it more perfect - to be able to sit in the lovely garden - c'est dommage - pas ce soir. Next time - and there certainly will be a next time.

French bistro/country cooking is by far my favorite cuisine. I'd eat it every meal given the choice and the calories be damned. Sadly, it's in short supply in Denver. This new little crêperie has blossomed in that black hole of a restaurant space at Pearl and Alameda most recently home to the doomed Telegraph. They (the Le Merise owners) did a very nice remodel of a difficult space and it's quite lovely now. The parking is still unfortunate though.

Arrived promptly at 5:00pm having skipped lunch and were warmly welcomed. Seated at a table for four even though we were only two. Hostess (and every server ((all female)) that we encountered) were all just so friendly and charming. Very professional and spot on service all night.

There is a happy hour which we hadn't anticipated although drink prices are still not bargain basement they're a couple of bucks off regular prices and there are some really good deals on some $10 appetizers that normally run around $15. We shared the moules à la marinière avec frites - textbook and a steal at $10 for a huge bowl of juicy black beauties and stellar frites. Their French baguette is wonderful for sopping up the rich garlic/cream/wine sauce.

We also shared the pâte maison - a terrine of chicken liver mousse scented with black truffle and served with dijon, cornichons and pain croustillant. Not on the HH menu but reasonable considering the "slab" of terrine we received - $13.95. We left not a trace.

We honestly could have called it a night but - OOOH no - we were in a crêperie so crêpe we must. Continuing in sharing mode we split (they actually did it for us), the seafood crêpe (tiger shrimp, crab meat, asparagus, Gruyère and a tomato garlic sauce) - $18.95 for two. If I've ever had a more perfect crêpe I can't recall it - light but rich at the same time. The crêpe itself was absolutely flawless - thin, crisp at the edges, tender yumminess. Finished off with the crêpe Suzette - again classic perfection ($8.95) but the accompanying vanilla ice cream was icy - only misstep of the night. I should hit the owner up with a proposition that I'll make his ice cream - crêpes this good deserve better than icy store bought.

It was my friend's 60th so he enjoyed a couple of cocktails ($10ish each and a glass of white wine). Total tab out was $84+tip. Not too bad for such a lovely meal. Place was almost full as we left about 6:30 pm - seems that I'm not the only one to discover this little winner. Go again? Count on it.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

We went to Bon Ami on Alameda & Pennsylvania for happy hour on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it! Their Saumon (Salmon) Gravlax was probably the best that I've ever had (not too salty) and I really enjoyed the thick slices that were nicely arranged as roses!
Also loved the delicious Merise crepes with beef tenderloin cuts finished with a nice gruyère and peppercorn cream sauce.
The beauty is that if you order your bottle of wine prior to 6 pm, it's half price! Save room for the Bananas Foster too! Oh and definitely ask to sit on the patio, it's perfect this time of year.

Date of visit: September 2018

Been to Bon Ami? Share your experiences!