“Loved it! Great Vibe and amazing food and cocktails...”
Review of Root Down

Root Down
Reserve with OpenTable
Root Down is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3,111 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Highland
Cross street: 33rd and Osage
Description: Root Down aims to connect the neighborhood to a dining experience in the same way ingredients are connected to food. There should be a seamless bond between the elements and experience, which stimulates the senses and draws people in. Root Down serves “globally influenced seasonal cuisine,” which basically means we go where inspiration leads us. We’re not tied to one style or genre—we’re hoping to create one of our own. At Root Down we pride ourselves on striving to solve the ‘Omnivore’s Dilemma.’ We have created a dining spot where all dietary needs will be accommodated, including vegetarian, vegan, raw and gluten free; also allergies or intolerances are always handled professionally by the kitchen team. Our menu has icons reflecting this philosophy, though we always request you notify your server of specific needs. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We loved Root Down! Was recommended to us by a bartender at Steuben's (which was also amazing). We sat at the bar for mid-day cocktails on my husband's birthday. Our bartender was fantastic and had some great recommendations...I had the taco special and my husband had the Philly Cheesesteak Benedict- both delicious! Will definitely be back our next time in Denver.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went he with our daughter and son-in-law. Got the reservation through Open Table and had a great table on the patio with a great view of the city skyline. Our table was waiting when we got there and the people were really friendly. The free valet parking was a nice plus as parking is limited. We ordered several appetizers and I had the 1/2 order of the Flat Iron steak. It was huge so I can't imagine what a full order would be. Loved everything about the food, especially the dessert. Kelly our waitress was absolutely super. The only thing I would skip was the special blackberry smash. For $11.00 it was simply not worth it. Otherwise, I would highly recommend a visit here. Total bill for 4 with drinks and dessert was $205.74. The sun shines bright on ROOTdown.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We almost ate our way through the menu....LOVED the Colombian Arepas the most. The Scallops and the Duck Confit Tacos were awesome as well.
The Veggie Sliders were dry, but aren't most veggie burgers? The falafel was good, but it was the sauce(s) that made some of these dishes standout.
The mussels were spicy and good, and although the menu said "Israeli Couscous", I don't think it was in there. Honestly, I've had fresher/better mussels, but the broth was worth the mopping up with the bread.

Service was pretty good, a bit slow but they were busy. Sit on the patio if you can...the view of the city is worth the wait, if you didn't reserve it ahead of time.
Prices and portions were fair.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I spent my birthday dinner here and worth every penny. We had a vegan in the group and I am not a red meat eater. The food was delicious and handcrafted cocktails superb. Sweet Potato Fries (great), Devil's on Horseback (enjoyed by others in group), Carrot Gnocchi (delish), Roasted Beet Risotto (outstanding), Both sliders enjoyed by group and great having a non meat version. The Rhubarb Sling (amazing best summer drink) and there was another not listed on menu that was great. The ice cubes are some of the best in the business. Go visit. I love the neighborhood and have enjoyed seeing it change over the years since I lived in Denver. All the staff were attentive and fun.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My understanding is that Linger and Root Down have the same owners so this is not saying Root Down isn't great, but we ate at Linger a couple weeks prior and thought it was definitely better for price, location, views, and service. Linger is a bigger restaurant with a great view and a more upscale feeling. The food is spectacular at both locations but different menus so I say it is worth a shot to try them both if you like this type of unique dining. My husband is a very picky eater (steak & potatoes kind of guy) so I am always worried he'll have a bad time at a place like this, but he really seemed to like the food here although he thought we got more for our money at Linger - hopefully his doesn't spoil the impression he had and I'll be able to convince him to go back to these places. Anyway, we went to Root Down on a Sunday and didn't have reservations but were lucky enough to get a spot on the patio near the bar (open seating) - they were pretty busy so again I think we got lucky. It cost us about $100 for 2 of us to eat at Root Down and $58 to eat at Linger - keep in mind that the difference was 2 more alcoholic beverages at Root Down but essentially the same was ordered - 3 tapas and a dessert at both locations. At Root Down my husband ordered a beer, I had 2 drinks (a "fruity" but actually quite bitter drink that I didn't care for - $10 of pretty intense torture - and then the best crown and coke I've ever had in my entire life - they make their own organic soda and apparently it is the bomb & that drink did me in for sure) - For our meal we ordered the Diver Scallops (excellent but you only get 3 and its suppose to be for sharing, the side was an edamame type salad that was superb - overall I'd say this dish was definitely not enough food for a $19 plate), the Green Chili Duck Tacos (again only 3 came out for a dish that was listed as a "small plate" which I interpret as "for sharing" - apparently not for sharing - and we had a really hard time splitting the 3rd taco - my husband insisted that we split it since that was the whole point of eating here - btw this was not a problem I recall having at Linger), and then the Grilled Flat Iron Steak (I HIGHLY recommend the steak - it is juicy and perfect and comes with wonderful potatoes as a side - SO good - btw the 2 prices on the menu (if you're confused like we were) are for either 4 ounces or 8 ounces of steak - also worth mentioning is that the chipotle sauce it comes with is freakin' divine) - pictures of the dishes are included with this review - then we ordered the Banana Crème Brulee Pie - WOWOWOHWOW - this was so amazing - by this time I was a bit too tipsy from the drinks so sorry no picture but take my word for it that it was heavenly. Around dessert time the patio lights came on and it was so pretty - its in a bit of a strange location but still has this really cool vibe - its an old tire & lube building. The other thing is that at Linger they bring you popcorn and at Root Down they don't bring you anything - no chips no bread no popcorn nada. For some reason this was immediately a disappointment, like they missed a well thought out, unique detail that I appreciated very much at Linger. The plates were timed perfectly - an aspect that I think is impeccable at both locations. Our server was very outgoing and friendly and recommended a few cool things to do in Denver and surrounding areas which I thought was a nice touch. I would definitely recommend going to Root Down or Linger if you are looking for a dining experience and not just food to feed your face. Also try their soda, it was so good! The server was completely willing to bring a little out for me to try first before bringing my crown and "coke" - her doing this extra little, but important, step did not go unnoticed and makes me rank this restaurant highly for service on my list. Overall, top notch dining experience and if your curious about going then definitely go now and enjoy!