“An Unexpected Treasure”

$358.80*
Private Denver City Overview Tour
Ranked #5 of 255 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Known for its wide range of Native American art, this museum also contains the only major Asian art collection in the Rocky Mountains.
Singapore, Singapore
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“An Unexpected Treasure”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have been to museums from Uganda to Taiwan, and the Denver Art Museum was an unexpected find. They have an exceptional collection of Western American Art. Many of the pieces are historically significant like Buckaroo from Alexander Phimister Proctor. Many of the works like Alexander Proctor, capture a history of the west prior to Europeans. In addition to the Maria Martinez’s American Indian pottery, the museum has a wide variety of historic American art not found in such large quantity elsewhere in the world.

The gallery from South America was also incredible large. I am doubtful there is much art left in any of the Aztec and Mayan ruins, as most of appears to have landed in the Denver Art Museum. Although not as extravagant as some of the other collections, their Asian collection does provide a good cross representation of Asian art culture. Arrive early, to ensure you can enjoy all the museum has to offer.

Visited January 2013

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

What a place. Two towers full of amazing paintings and exhibits. First Saturdays are free admission days.

Visited February 2013
Aurora
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Van Gogh really sold me.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went there as the Van Gogh exhibit winding down. They really went out on this one. They have larger and more extenisve art museums in many other large cities, but Denver is working on becoming a first class gallery.

Visited February 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Will Not Return”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our group went to view the Van Gogh exhibit. Although it was very crowded, everyone enjoyed the exhibit. Then we decided we would walk through the rest of the museum. That’s when I took a picture of my kids standing against a wall – no paintings just a wall. If you’ve been to the museum you know there’s plenty of wall space without art. A security guard with lots of frizzy black hair came over and shouted at me for having a camera. I apologized. He was extremely rude and continued to tell me “the rules”. I considered pointing out to him that there was no art on the wall, but he looked so angry that I thought he might confiscate my camera. So I apologized again. We immediately left, a little shaken. I really wanted to see the rest of the museum. What little I did see of the place was contemporary and beautiful, but we do not plan to return.

Visited January 2013
Colorado
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Who is featured now???”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

With exhibit coming and going you want to stay on top of their events. You may not have a trip planned to Paris but they may bring Paris to you. Go and enjoy everything they have and go back often since it bound to change and you don't want to miss it.

Been to Denver Art Museum? Share your experiences!