“Van Gogh really sold me.”
Review of Denver Art Museum

$358.80*
Private Denver City Overview Tour
Ranked #5 of 256 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Known for its wide range of Native American art, this museum also contains the only major Asian art collection in the Rocky Mountains.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went there as the Van Gogh exhibit winding down. They really went out on this one. They have larger and more extenisve art museums in many other large cities, but Denver is working on becoming a first class gallery.

There are newer reviews for Denver Art Museum

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our group went to view the Van Gogh exhibit. Although it was very crowded, everyone enjoyed the exhibit. Then we decided we would walk through the rest of the museum. That’s when I took a picture of my kids standing against a wall – no paintings just a wall. If you’ve been to the museum you know there’s plenty of wall space without art. A security guard with lots of frizzy black hair came over and shouted at me for having a camera. I apologized. He was extremely rude and continued to tell me “the rules”. I considered pointing out to him that there was no art on the wall, but he looked so angry that I thought he might confiscate my camera. So I apologized again. We immediately left, a little shaken. I really wanted to see the rest of the museum. What little I did see of the place was contemporary and beautiful, but we do not plan to return.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

With exhibit coming and going you want to stay on top of their events. You may not have a trip planned to Paris but they may bring Paris to you. Go and enjoy everything they have and go back often since it bound to change and you don't want to miss it.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The child- and family-friendly Denver Art Museum makes the most of its modest European holdings by placing the portraits in one room and the scenic paintings in the next, both without regard to century of origin. Of the two Monets, the Waterloo Bridge is especially nice. That room also includes a pair by Pissarro. The portrait room offers a small, lovely Renoir.

The Museum's strengths include a large collection of Asian Art with separate galleries for Japan, China, Korea, Southeast Asia, India, and Southwest Asia, smaller collections of art from Oceania and Africa, and even larger collections from American Indians and Mexico.

The rooms devoted to depictions of the Rocky Mountains and the American Southwest were vibrant and reasonably extensive.

In short, the Denver emphasizes sources of art that many museums of its size barely can acknowledge. It definitely demonstrates there is more to great art than the heritage of dead, European males.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The DAM continues to impress with the recent Van Gogh exhibit which a local curator assembled from around the world. This museum is ever changing and bringing in fascinating exhibits, plus the building itself is a work of art. Right downtown in Denver, it is one of the premier places to enjoy the creative arts. Plus, it is nestled right in with the Library and the Clyfford Still Museum and others. Denver may be a "cowboy" town, but it is right up there with its many great museums and attractions. Not a Stock Show fan? Check out the arts.

Been to Denver Art Museum? Share your experiences!