“Meh. If you somehow find parking, a museum only for little kids” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Denver Museum of Nature & Science

and up
Mile High Culture Pass
Ranked #4 of 247 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is the Rocky Mountain region’s leading resource for informal science education. A variety of exhibitions, programs, and activities help Museum visitors experience the natural wonders of Colorado, Earth, and the universe.
Los Angeles, California
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Meh. If you somehow find parking, a museum only for little kids”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

The place gets good reviews, but I frankly don't see the hype.

The parking situation was abysmal. Their underground parking lot is puny and under-sized. The above-ground parking is shared with the park - and is also limited by construction and road closures. We got there mid-day and it was like a shopping mall at Christmas - mini-vans slowly stalking pedestrians in the hope they'd lead them to a parking space.

I ended up dropping the kids off at the entrance, then driving a block and a half east into a residential neighborhood to park. Street parking there was limited to two hours or less, but I never needed to move the car...

Once inside, the kids headed straight for the dinosaurs/fossils exhibits. While the fossils were excellent, the other exhibits were woeful. Plastic toys behind glass, silly comic art, broken interactive displays.

There are actual full-size daemonhelix fossils four hours from Denver at Agate Fossil Beds. What does this museum have? A tiny plastic MINIATURE behind glass.

The museum's Egyptian Mummy exhibit was garishly bright and laughably bad. The other animal exhibits are well-done taxidermy that the little kids enjoyed, but as a grown-up, I just couldn't get excited about stuffed and mounted bears and seals.

We were in and out of here in under two hours.

These types of museums are either fun for the entire family - or strictly for the little ones. This one is the latter. If your little ones need entertaining and you've run out of things to do in Denver, then you can do your parental duty and take your kids here. But not me - not recommended.

1 Thank EugeneLA

• Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North America
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Must See When in Denver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I grew up with this museum and it just keeps getting better. Every year I come back to the area to visit family and we usually manage a trip to the museum. It has something for every age and even though I've seen many of the exhibits dozens of times now they still have new things to offer.

Tips:
- Plan on a whole day if you've never been there - there is much to see and if you finish early, the Denver Zoo is right next door for another awesome adventure!
- In summer plan to arrive no later than mid-morning to ensure good parking, as the nearby lots and underground garage fill up fast. We got there at 10:30 on an August Saturday and there were still spaces in the lot right by the main doors.
- Check a day or two (or more) in advance by phone or online to see what the major exhibition is (this year for us it was "Real Pirates" which was fascinating and one year we caught the Titanic exhibit) and book tickets ahead of time so you don't miss out - these often sell out, which is a huge disappointment especially for kids if you get there and realize its something you really wanted to see. Allow about 2 hours to go through the main exhibit if you are booking other tickets. Tickets to the main exhibition include general admission to the museum, so don't be shocked at the cost.
- It's also a good idea though not as critical to book tickets for the planetarium and/or Imax in advance, especially during the busy summer months.
- If you've booked tickets ahead of time you can skip the line at the main ticket counter and go straight to the "will call" kiosks inside to pick them up.
- There is a decent cafeteria in the museum but you can pack a lunch if you want to save money, with plenty of tables in the cafe area to eat at. None of this "no outside food and drink" at this museum!

Don't miss this amazing museum - my aunt says it is one of the best natural history museums in the country!

4 Thank riverdaleschool1903
Alamogordo, NM
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“More to see than L.A. Natural History & Science Musuem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I enjoyed this museum better than the one in Los Angeles, it had more for the kids and better dinosuar exhibit. But of course the dinosaur exhibit in L.A. was under construction. But this one seemed to take longer to go through everything like 4 hours. This one was also packed with people, when we went to the L.A. musuem there was only but a handful of people. I also enjoyed that this museum had sitting areas to lookout at the park and relax.

3 Thank treecorn
Vernon,TX
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very nice...........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is a great place to visit with children.I was surprised at the amount of things to do.My son really had a ball in the outer space room.I found myself enjoying the mineral and gold mining displays.We watched a short film in the planetarium and was awesome.They had a nice place to pick up souvenirs and that were priced surprisingly low in my opinion.Would be a great place to spend a half day or longer.I took several pictures of the displays and the staff on hand was very happy to help in any way.Give it a try if your in the area.

3 Thank Badmortarforker
North Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Perfect ending to a great week in Colorado”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

My family and I decided to go to this museum for our last day on vacation and it was a great decision. We have two boys, 9 and 7, who loved this museum. The museum had a Pirate exhibit (additional cost) that was awesome (how the boys described it). It was basically items from a real pirate ship that had been recovered from the bottom of the ocean. The exhibit was interactive and told the story of those on board. It was great. The other exhibits were great too. My boys even loved the Gem and Mineral exhibit which I thought would be the one they would quickly lose interest in. The animal exhibits were also very good. We spent almost 6 hours there and the boys never got bored. We ate lunch at the cafe which was pretty good and had a good variety too. All in all, we were very impressed and highly recommend this museum.

2 Thank KSLawDawg