“Blew Me Away” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Mile High Culture Pass
Ranked #7 of 247 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Adventure Awaits! Every day, Denver Zoo seeks to inspire exploration and discovery, and creates connections with people, animals and nature. And every day, we’re working to save animals and conserve wildlife here and around the world. Your visit and support aids in all these efforts- Thank you. Denver Zoo is home to 3,800 animals representing more than 650 species and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). AZA accreditation assures the highest standards of animal care. A leader in environmental action, Denver Zoo is dedicated to ensuring the safety of the environment in support of all species and is the first U.S. zoo to receive ISO 14001 certification for the entire facility and operations. This international certification ensures the zoo is attaining the highest environmental standards. Since 1996, Denver Zoo has participated in 594 conservation projects in 62 countries on all seven continents. In 2012 alone, Denver Zoo participated in 98 projects in 18 countries and more than $1 million in funds was spent by the zoo in support of animal conservation in the field.
Livingston,MT
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Blew Me Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

First time going to a "real zoo" with my kids and we all had a blast. Spend most ofthe day there, and would go back again in a second. Saw animals i didnt even know existed. The staff was great and answered all our questions!

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
accountant_guy
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Good zoo, but no reciprocity”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

Before I comment on all of the positives, I would like to note that I dropped what would have been a five circle rating down to three due to lack of reciprocity. For those who are unaware, reciprocity is a program where zoo's honor memberships from other zoo's. At a minimum there is a 50% discount on admission if it is not free. I am a member of the Louisville Zoo for example, but I could visit most of the major cities in the country and get some form of reciprocity. In fact, there are over 120 zoos that are members of the reciprocity program. The benefit is that it increases membership, thereby increasing attendance, thereby increasing knowledge. Knowledge increases protection and preservation, which are two primary missions of the Denver Zoo. I find this a bit hypocritical. Go in the gift shop and you can find these words stamped on a bunch of different things, yet in the end they do not support a program that almost every other major zoo in country is a part of. Go to LA, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, Detroit, Phoenix (I could go on and on but you get the picture) and all of the zoos in these towns support the reciprocity program.

Still, I am a big fan of zoos and visit them any chance I get. I must say Denver has a very nice zoo with well constructed habitats. The diversity of species is also quite impressive. In this area I give them very high marks, and I continually found myself impressed with things like the expansiveness of the aquarium, variety of primates, etc. My wife and I stayed in the zoo for about 4.5 hours carefully observing everything, and even going back at the end to check on a few animals who had been inactive earlier in the day that we wanted to get a glimpse of. It is such a nice zoo that I couldn't help but recommend it, however I will not be returning until they begin participating the reciprocity program.

4 Thank accountant_guy
Reno, NV
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Very good zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

I would highly suggest seeing this zoo. It's large with a great selection of anything you can think of. The exhibits are great for the animals very roomy and they are well taken care of. The zoo is top notch and you could spend several hours here with no problem.

Fort Wayne, In
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

I love the zoo. When on vacation, no matter where it is, my husband and I always find a zoo to visit. Denver is definitely a good one! It was a very hot day, in the high 90's, but a lot of the animals were still out and about. Some were sleeping, but that happens at any zoo! The Denver Zoo is very spacious and there are lots of different animals to look as you make your rounds. We planned to come in time to see the seal show, which was short, but fun. Over all I will come back to the Denver zoo when I am in town next year.

2 Thank Homco
Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worth a trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2008

My husband and I went here on Memorial day weekend, it was quite crowded but its very spread out so you really dont notice. They have some very unique animals and the staff was so friendly and helpful. They seemed to have lots of empty exhibits, maybe they are getting ready for the summer or something. My favorite part was the Polar bears. They were quite entertaining.

1 Thank ladylump

Been to Denver Zoo? Share your experiences!