“Lakeside is charming and amazing!”

Lakeside Amusement Park
Ranked #64 of 255 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: This amusement park, one of the few remaining family-owned parks in the country, is fun for people of all ages.
Pittsburgh, PA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Lakeside is charming and amazing!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Lakeside rocks! But bear in mind it's not a modern high-tech theme park, and therein lies what's so special about it. Having visited nearly every amusement/theme park in the country, I can attest that Lakeside is one of the finest traditional parks out there. The buildings and rides may be old (and that's what makes them special), but the park is very clean, nicely landscaped, has friendly employees and an outstanding value.

The majestic white Cyclone roller coaster is a true classic, providing an outstanding ride experience and is one of the best maintained old wood coasters in the world. The historic Parker-built carousel is a menagerie (with all different animals). I wish that the horses would be restored, and I'm sure that it eventually will be -- Lakeside is an never-ending work in process -- a very historical park with rides and areas being restored one at a time. The park is one of only a few containing some classic rides like the Wild Chipunk roller coaster, Satellite, Hurricane (known elsewhere as Flying Scooters), Rock-O-Plane and Loop-O-Plane (I think it has some other name at Lakeside), plus a fantastic selection of kiddie rides, many of them also classic.

Nighttime is the best time at Lakeside as the charm of the park becomes magical, The architecture throughout the park is largely art deco and covered in lights -- both incandescent and colorful neon. Walking around the place at sunset and after dark is an amazing experience.

The train ride that takes passengers around Lake Rhoda provides a great view of the park during the day and especially at night. Their food is basic, but good and reasonably priced. I do wish that they would reopen the miniature golf course.

The guests at Lakeside are diverse and include many young families. while I understand that the appearance of some of them can appear rough to certain people, appearances aside, my experience has always been that they are very respectful.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Bill L

Broomfield, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best Amusement Park Ever!!!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I love the train ride across the lake, even though it can be a long wait. I also love the variety of rides they have. The zoom drop tower, is just the right height to be scary but fun. Who can forget about the Cyclone Coaster, one of the best wooden coasters around. All of the staff members are really nice.

Visited July 2012
5 Thank Kayty R
Centennial, Colorado
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Budget friendly fun for all ages.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My dad and his wife would take my kids here often when they were really little because its price tag is a lot friendly then Elitches that's for certain. Its a lot more lax in a lot of respects, like time to have to wait to get on rides, age/height requirements for the kids to get on the adult rides. For that reason we will always come back annually for a cheap, fun family excursion.

4 Thank AprilJinCO
Albuquerque, NM
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“I need of a major makeover ...”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

You can tell this park has seen its better days and the staff is the most friendly, but that said ... it has a tremendous nostalgic feel and has the power to instantly rekindle those memories that many of has had as children and would like to pass to our children. The rides are classic and not high-tech or fancy, but that's part of the charm. The setting is beautiful and I think that if you go to the park with tempered expectations and a little patience, you might be able to rekindle some of that old magic and share if with your loved ones.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Ohlmes
Denver, Colorado
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Very scary”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Exactly the same rides when I was little 25+ years ago and the same rides are still in operation. Many do not work and are very scary. I regret putting my kids on one especially. The Rocket. I was on the ride with them- in 2 separate rockets. I really did fear for my children that I could not hold on to. The one I had with me hit his eye on the side when the ride jerked to start and cut open his eye brow. I will NEVER do that again. Free tickets or not, NO MORE! The owner has enough money to put new rides in, but never has.

Visited August 2012