“Decent stay but not fantastic” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Stapleton

Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Stapleton
Ranked #19 of 154 Hotels in Denver
Florida
“Decent stay but not fantastic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

As many have mentioned, this hotel is undergoing some serious renovations. To their credit, when we checked in the front desk person informed us of the situation in some detail. The rooms were decent, but the decor is so-so. The biggest problem we had was the horrible elevator situation. Some not working and those that did were incredibly slow. Also, the ice machine on the top floor did not work.

On the plus side, the breakfast was awesome, and they would still make breakfast to order, although I loved the buffet offerings. In addition, the evening reception is nice if you're looking for a couple of free drinks. Room service was also very good and reasonably priced.

We returned to Denver a few weeks after this stay. Despite the positives mentioned, until they get all their construction sorted out, I'll avoid staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
Payson, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

The shuttle van driver went out of his way to make a special trip to the airport for me when I received a call from my airline that the flight which had been rescheduled to depart at 10:15 had been rescheduled again to depart at 9:00 pm. I couldn't wait for the next scheduled van and he definitely offered in a concerned way to make a special trip. I shall always be eternally grateful to him and to the hotel staff for the accommodation to my need. He deserves a commendation from the administrators of Embassy Suites for his service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel dozens of times for everything from business to pleasure. It was always one of our most favorite hotels because of the staff and the atmosphere. While the flood what occurred was very much out of anyone's control, the new "décor" and "design" were definitely in someone's control.

The "old" hotel had so much charm and character. Anyone who has ever stayed at this location would remember the beautiful fountain in the middle and the beautiful plants. Now there is some obscure light thing in the middle that resembles a large shot gun shell. It looks out of place and in my opinion quite tacky. The rooms used to feel homey and we loved that part. Now they are attempting to be modern but instead they feel sterile and cold. There was only 2 working elevators when we stayed, the pool was closed, the business office was closed, and it wasn't the normal cooked to order breakfast. Things that are somewhat understandable due to construction but yet we were still paying the full price as if these things were in working order.

Sadly I know that my family and I will not look forward to staying at this property anymore the way that we did before. Change happens and this I understand, but usually it's for the better...in this case I have to say it is not.

Room Tip: Don't book a room on the bottom floor if you don't want to hear all the noise from the happy...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GregMckenna, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
First I'd like to thank you for being a recent guest with us and over the years. I also appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are working hard to get the hotel renovation completed and get back to where it was before we had to close the doors do to the storms in Colorado last fall. I hope you will come back and stay with us again once the entire renovation is completed when you can actually see everything we have done. I have worked here a long time and loved the original design that Embassy Suites was built upon but I also know it was time for a change. Some of our guests really like what were doing and a few don't but I hope you will wait until everything is completed before you decide whether or not you will stay with us again. We have a great team here and year after year we are one of the highest ranked Embassy Suites in the brand and our goal to make sure we satisfy every guest every stay! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or just to say hello!

Best Regards
Greg McKenna
Hotel Manager
gregm@eshgateway.com
Limon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Sad that you couldn't use the pool for the kids. But understand the remodel it's taking a long time to getting back to the 100% up and running. We stay at least 2 or 4 times a year at this location. Easy to get to and like the location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Los Angeles, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

While I rarely spend much time in my room on a business trip, having so much space is excellent. Layout of the hotel is also obvious, so no random wandering or getting lost. Great when you've had a cocktail or four and have to escort your coworkers and boss back to their rooms so you don't all end up explaining to the COO why the police are calling her...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stay at Embassy Suites almost every time I travel and have come to expect the same great quality suites, breakfast, and service. This particular location is under construction as they remodel from when it was originally built to serve Stapleton Airport. The first difficulty experienced was finding that only one of the two elevators on either side of the atrium was functional; this hotel is, again, several decades old so the elevators are extremely slow on top of only two of the four working at all. I eventually climbed 5 flights of stairs. The pool area was completely closed, which no one bothered to mention, so my husband and I looked like fools going down 5 floors in bathing suites only to have another guest say that Embassy Suites had a deal with the nearby La Quinta Inn to use their pool during construction; mind you, this is Denver in January so leaving the hotel in a bathing suit is a bit ridiculous. The worst experience was getting locked into the suite's bedroom. The doors and locks were clearly brand new, but ours malfunctioned and we had to call the front desk to have them rescue us from our bedroom. The remodel looks quite nice and I am sure that once construction is completed that this location will live up to the Embassy Suites reputation, but right now, it makes for one of the worst experiences I have ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GregMckenna, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
I wanted to personally apologize for the experience you had at our hotel recently. This is certainly not the standard of service at our hotel and I can assure you that and I will share you r experience with my entire team. We are just finishing a major renovation and your concerns are being addressed! Please contact me directly on your next visit to the Denver area and I will make sure that you are well taken care of! Hope to hear from you soon!

Greg McKenna
Manager
Embassy Suites Denver Stapleton
gregm@eshgateway.com
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed at the Embassy for a concert at Dick's and could not have been happier with our choice. Although this hotel is not in the heart of Denver, nor walkable to almost anything, it more than makes up for that by providing friendly and welcoming service. We stayed the week before the flood ( a friend has actually sent photos saying isn't this where you stayed?) but at that time, the hotel was a typical Embassy with nice rooms, bar, indoor pool etc. But hopefully all of the same staff are there if they had to close for the water damage, because everyone who worked here was awesome. The Shuttle drivers (and they provide free shuttle to Dick's) were sociable, the breakfast staff went way above and beyond and in every way the staff (who even wore special t-shirts just for that weekend's concert) were helpful and full of smiles.
Tip: The free shuttle will also take you to the grocery store/ liquor store!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family