“Would Never Stay Again”

Ranked #20 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Denver, Colorado
“Would Never Stay Again”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

First let me say the hotel itself is beautiful. My room was great and it is in a wonderful location. The real trouble came upon check out, where I was initially charged again for a room I had already paid for. The girl at the desk assured me she would correct it. Over the next two days, I was continuously charged various charges totaling nearly $700 dollars. I had to call over five times, and finally had to ask for a manager because nobody ever offered to transfer me to management and the accountant never called me back. While the $700 was finally removed from my bank account, nobody at the hotel ever offered anything to make up for the enormous stress this caused. All employees were extremely non-chalant about the issue and didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I was offered absolutely nothing but a quick verbal apology, which is far less than I expect from a hotel of this caliber. I would really expect a high quality business to express concern upon charging a customer nearly one thousand dollars extra. Upon emailing the GM, I received an automatic response saying this person no longer worked for the hotel, but was not given information for the new GM. Terrible, terrible experience, I'll steer clear of this place and advise others to do so as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank k r
TeatroRoomsDirector, Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear k r,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and we appreciate your kind words about the property!
I would also like to offer my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced during and after your stay with us. The mistakes we made with your billing are certainly not typical of a stay at Hotel Teatro, and I again apologize for the unnecessary stress and frustration we have caused. Please understand that we do recognize the importance of accuracy in billing processes, though we certainly did not show it during your check out or in the following days. As a result of this series of mistakes, I have begun working with our accounting department to improve our training practices in this area in an effort to prevent this type of experience in the future.
Additionally, I am very concerned with the “nonchalant” attitude on the part of our staff. This is both surprising and disappointing, as we at Hotel Teatro pride ourselves on our collective devotion to thorough, attentive, and personalized guest service. I take pride in the service that our team offers, and I assure you that I will follow up accordingly. You are absolutely correct in expecting better service from a hotel of our caliber.
Furthermore, we have recently gone through a transitional period, during which we were without a permanent General Manager. I was the acting general manager during that time, and so I take full responsibility for our lack of follow through on resolving your issues. To say that something as important as this simply “fell through the cracks” is entirely unacceptable on our part.
Just this week our new, permanent General Manager, Afsi Bird, started working with us, and she has expressed to me that she would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly about these issues. I am happy to put her in touch with you if you would kindly reach out to me via phone at 720-889-2134, or by email at jmurphy@hotelteatro.com.
Again, I sincerely apologize for your poor experience, and I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to show you that your recent stay was not typical of Hotel Teatro. Thank you again for your time.
Jordan Murphy
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our decision to stay at the Hotel Teatro wasn't really a decision at all. We booked a "mystery hotel" blindly on Jetsetter.com, and were happy to find out the Hotel Teatro was the selected hotel. The best part of the hotel is likely the staff, who will go out of their way to take care of you. Some unique services we took advantage of was the complimentary hotel shuttle, which will take you anywhere (and pick you up) within a 3 mile radius. There was complimentary shoeshine service which was also very nice. The room itself was great, a corner king. The room was spacious, clean, and made for a happy stay. The only complaint really is that the building is very old and historic, and one of the negatives of that is the windows not being soundproof. On a weekend night, the streets can get a bit loud, and you will hear people stumbling out of bars hailing cabs at 12, 1, and 2 am. Small complaint though. The room service was tasty, and I highly recommend the pulled pork paninni. We heard good things about the Kevin Taylor restaurant downstairs, but skipped it mainly due to price. It's VERY pricey, and probably a good place to take clients when the company is picking up the tab. We had dinner on Larimar and it was tasty and less expensive. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends visiting Denver .

3 Thank TravelJoeJoe
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for the night of a sporting event at the Pepsi Center. We could have been dropped off and/or picked up via the hotel car, but we opted to walk. The room was fantastic and the bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: we were in a king deluxe, and there was plenty of room
1 Thank Dianne D
Houston
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Amy talked the whole night desk staff in to pulling a prank on me. They kept sending us to rooms that did not exist and it ended up being hysterical. Matt and the rest of the staff were stunningly effective in pulling this off. I loved it. This is so far beyond what a hotel should do that I don't even know where to start.

Additionally, the hotel, the room and staff were great. I didn't have a preferred hotel in Denver but now I do.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pierre M
TeatroRoomsDirector, Front Office Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Hello,

We are glad you enjoyed that - it was a lot of fun for the staff to pull off that prank. I'm not quite sure how we will top that one for the next time. We look forward to seeing you both back at the hotel again.

Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We are live in Denver and are locals. We decided to park the car and have fun downtown, then take a cab home. We ate at the Four Season Hotel and walked over to Teatro Hotel across the street for a cocktail. The place was empty but a very high emery guy with the name Matt (night manager/ supervisor) comes up and says: "grab a drink in the bar, come back and I'll show you my rooms".

Hahaha, what a great way of welcoming anyone... and Matt mean what he said; we came back and he took us on the a tour through several rooms, remained professional and correct, almost "butler style," but in a charming way.

After a few more martinis, great deal on the room we ended up staying the night, then having lunch with room service. Oboy was in for a surprise, the food is not good, it fantastic, and we had it in less than 30 minutes!! We later stayed for dinner as well, the Prima restaurant certainly know what they are doing, take it from me I'm born and raised in Italy, few make food like Prima (Teatro's restaurant).

The door guy who deserves praise (unfortunately I don't remember his name), he tried answering all our questions very diligently and politely prior to us entering, The only minus I can say was the bartender, she had one customer and wasn't very keen on recommending any martinis.

In short, awesome service, experience. If you're a local of from out of town, you'll do great with Team Matt and Teatro Hotel.

Room Tip: The east end corner.
2 Thank David P
David,

We were glad to accommodate you for the evening. Happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and we will see you next time. Thanks for the review.

Nebraska
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed back in September this year and loved it. When I called for reservations they asked me why we were coming to town and I explained that it was our 10th anniversary and we wanted to do something special. They were awesome by also getting us reservations at Elways for us that evening we were coming in. When we got there the valet was awesome and they were so nice. Got to front desk and lady checked us in and right away said happy anniversary and they were so gracious to upgrade us to a king suite. Wherever we went in the hotel they seemed to know us and wish us happy anniversary. Talk about awesome service. When the car was gone when we needed to get to our reservation, valet and/or bellman ran a block to get us a cab. When we were done eating they were great on picking us back up and taking us where we wanted to go. We had room service the next morning and that was great food! Thank you so much for making our anniversary so special!! We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Husker30
TeatroRoomsDirector, Front Office Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Husker30,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for choosing Hotel Teatro for your anniversary. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Awesome staff, they went above and beyond. Valets even had time to take us outside the car service drop zone. Rooms were clean, great location for walking everywhere. Make sure you stop in at the hotel bar for a drink or even get a coffee and sit by the fireplace. Dont miss Sams # 3 for breakfast, lunch or even diner, just a short walk. Will stay at again. Thank you.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TeatroRoomsDirector, Front Office Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Ralph P,