“Overpriced and bit disappointing, unfortunately.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Teatro

Hotel Teatro
Ranked #20 of 156 Hotels in Denver
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Overpriced and bit disappointing, unfortunately.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Hotel Teatro for a couple of nights in a superior king room for a weekend getaway recently; frankly we were a bit disappointed. First, the high points: -The valet service and service overall was excellent. We didn't avail ourselves of all of the service possibilities, but any interaction with the staff was good. They were polite and professional, especially the valet staff. -The room was very nicely appointed. We were in a room that was very oddly shaped, but I think that was just a bit of luck of the draw. It was small, however...the smallest room on that floor, actually. However, the linens were fine quality and the bathroom looked very nice. Now, the low: -The hot water tap handle and the shower tap handle both leaked when they were turned on. It didn't affect functionality, but it was disappointing to see something simple like that here. - The on demand TV system didn't work properly. Multiple times when turning on the TV, it would return a no signal message, and required me to turn it off and on multiple times to get it to work. We also tried to watch a movie, but it never worked. It allowed us to select the movie, but never played. The front desk took it off my bill in the morning, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. - The bathroom was very dim, with a recessed light over the toilet that only intermittently worked, which made it even darker. Finally, some frustrations: -My fiance and I went to dinner on Sunday night over Labor Day weekend, and returned to the hotel at about 9:30-9:45pm. We wanted to have a nightcap prior to going upstairs, so thought we would stop by the hotel bar for a drink. It was closed, already. I understand that it was Sunday night, but that is still very early, especially in downtown Denver on a holiday weekend. -All the pillows on the bed were very soft...there weren't any firm options for pillows, so I ended up folding one in half to get comfortable. So, in review, I think the Hotel Teatro is a bit dated and tired. It feels like it's banking on it's old reputation as a luxury boutique hotel for pricing and to keep people coming to stay. It doesn't look like they're trying, frankly. I won't be staying there again...I will probably either go to Hotel Monaco or the Curtis next time.

Room Tip: Don't get room 603.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Downtown Denver is expensive at top hotels and Hotel Teatro, for the price, isn't the best value. Right across the street at the new Four Seasons - for a few more bucks - is an excellent hotel. Hotel Teatro is nice - the Four Seasons is nicer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dillon, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I have always wanted to stay at the Hotel Teatro. We were coming to town for a show at the Comedy Works and on a whim found a room that morning for a good deal on a third party site. I am so glad we made a weekend of it, from the moment we pulled up to the moment we left every employee made sure we were taken care of. It had started to rain as we walked out the front door and they have umbrellas to loan or a car to take you to a nearby destination. Refrigerators in the room were also a plus as well as the location. You are right next door to the performing arts complex, two short blocks to the 16th street mall, Larimer Square or Comedy Works. As we were loading up our car to leave, Chris the front desk supervisor asked us how our stay was which led to a tour and history lesson of this property, what a fun way to end our stay. Want to say thank you to the staff at this hotel, it's the little things that make a big difference, we will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Corner king for the natural light
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chuck N
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here so we could spend a couple days in Denver. We brought our dog with us as well. The hotel is small, but very quaint and lovely. Our room was on the 7th floor. We could hear the street traffic, however didn't find it loud at all. The bathroom was wonderful with the soaker tub and separate shower. Bed was a little harder than I like, but I didn't notice after a couple minutes and slept great! Our dog was offered some amenities as well, but we declined. It was a bit of a walk to take the dog out just to go to the bathroom. The bellman offered to take her for us. We needed the walk ourselves so we took her. We had dinner one night in the Italian restaurant and wasn't that impressed. Service was amateur, food was just ok. Courtesy vehicle was great!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was upgraded to a King room through Expedia Elite so this may affect my review but everything about this hotel was great. The stone-tiled bathroom, robes, bed etc were truly excellent and the proximity to theater cannot be surpassed. Valet parking very courteous and although I still baulk at the $29 fee, all hotels in Denver are essentially the same so I suck it up! Check in very professional and overall I just liked the hotel so will be back.

Palmyra, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

As first time visitors to Denver, we wanted to choose a location that would fit. We were not disappointed when we arrived at the Hotel Teatro. We received a great deal on this boutique hotel and from the moment we walked in we felt we were treated with the highest respect. Every employee, from the front desk to the bellmen, made us feel like family. Some reviews mention the noise during the evening. If you are the type that needs to sleep with some "white noise" I would recommend bringing a fan. We, however, enjoyed the sounds of the city coming from below.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I discovered the Hotel Teatro in April when I was in Denver for business. I was in room 709, which was lovely and quite spacious. I really enjoyed my stay so much that I wanted to return with my husband for a leisure weekend. One day mid-summer, I discovered that the hotel was featured on Jetsetter and I booked for the Labor Day weekend.

We checked in on Friday Aug 30 and after having read about the hotel having some rooms with terraces, I inquired about whether there was a king available. One was available (apparently it is a corner king) and we were offered it with an additional $40 upcharge per night, plus associated taxes. We were excited, thinking that a terrace would allow us to enjoy the beautiful outdoors from the privacy of our room. Upon entering the room 910, it was strikingly smaller than the photos that I have on my Ipad of room 709 and sadly, the terrace is not large enough to even accommodate a chair. Our expectations of enjoying the outdoors were unfortunately not in the cards, in fact, the door to the terrace opens into the room and does not stay open without having something placed in front of it, so the moral that we learned the most unfortunate way was the terrace is great if you want to open the door and stand, it is really a teaser and not worth the upcharge.

We enjoyed our stay despite our disappointment with the room. The hotel has charm and though the hallway carpets are a little tired and the safes in the rooms not functioning yet, there is an element of appreciation of another era when you see the ceiling in the entry and the marble staircase. The front desk staff was helpful, although I wish they had told me that by "upgrading" to a terrace room, I would be getting a terrace that had no furniture nor would accommodate a chair and that I would be getting a more compact room.

The door staff was exceptional and could not have been more helpful. We used the car service several times and the guys really were most helpful.

Gabe, the concierge was wonderful and made us last minute arrangements for spa services at a wonderful AVEDA spa, he arranged for our dinner reservation to be adjusted to accommodate our spa services and booked an AVIS car for the day we went further afield. He told us about the relationship that the hotel has with the Colorado Athletic Club (about 3 blocks away) and for $15 which you can charge to your room, you can use the full services of the club. He was gracious and accommodating.

Initially, our shower head and the sink closest to the door did not function, but while we were at dinner on the first evening, they were fixed.

Details such as the bathrobes were overlooked by housekeeping. When the housekeeping staff cleaned our room after our first night, they took one of the robes and despite knocking on our door, seeing both of us in the room and passing us in the hallway, there was no reappearance of the second robe.

When asking about a late checkout, we were told our request could be accommodated for an upcharge for an additional hour. I feel that I was upcharged enough and while I would stay at Hotel Teatro again, I would most definitely not request or book a "corner king with terrace."

Room Tip: Do NOT book a terrace room, the terrace is really unusable.