“Not Worth The Money”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Not Worth The Money”
Reviewed June 8, 2007

I had recieved Kimpton Hotel gift certificates as a bonus from work. I deceided to take my wife to the Denver Monaco for a romantic weeked. After all I had heard rave reviews about other Hotel Monacos. Check-in was going smoothly and we were being treated very well until I mentioned that we had gift certificates. The girl's whole demenor changed at that point and she treated us like we were beneath her and her beloved hotel. Then according to our reservation we were supposed to recieve a $15 gift card for booking at the hotel's website. When I mentioned this she proceeded to roll her eyes and huff and puff while looking through several drawers and in a back room. When she finally reappeared she said, "that promotion is no longer running, sorry." Hmm, funny I thought since I had just booked the room a couple of days before, and it was printed right on our itinerary. She then told us that the wine and appetizer reception was underway and would be open for another hour. So we went to our room left our things and went back to the lobby to the reception. Upon arriving in the lobby they were out of everything. So we waited around for 30 minutes and nothing was ever replenished, so we went back to our room.

The hotel itself is cute but really overrated. Especially for the $300 a night cost the Marriot next door is just as nice and is only about $179 a night. The beds are uncomfortable, there are only about 5 channels of television. It is really showing some wear in spots.

I complained to the manager via email and recieved a reply of "sorry".

We will never go back to this hotel, when there are plenty of other lower priced options in the same neighborhood, that are just as nice.

• Liked — The funky colors and decor
  • Disliked — service, lies, price for value
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank juhoo26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2007

I've stayed at most of the downtown Denver hotels and this is one of the better ones.

Quality rooms - the mini-suites are very comfortable, decent internet connection, nice-enough staff and excellent location.

All things considered a comfortable (and quiet) stay in downtown Denver.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank MaxShiraz
Providence, RI
Reviewed May 20, 2007

I really want to give Hotel Monaco Denver a rave review, since I love Kimpton hotels and this one has the typical Kimpton vibe and was convenient to downtown area attractions. I also want to love it because we got an excellent rate through the hotel website's promotions. BUT despite the clean, hip interiors, friendly staff, and big discount we still encountered problems - with noise. Our first room was directly opposite 3 elevators and we could hear eveyone coming and going in the hall with every ding of the elevator doors. It's a big hotel with lots of rooms on each floor so we anticipated non-stop noise and asked to be moved. We were moved right away to a room that seemed much quieter until our neighbor came home at 1 AM and talked very loudly on the phone for several hours. We could hear every word even though he was across the hall. The bottom line is this hotel needs to seriously invest in soundproofing, especially the doors which are paper thin and have large gaps at the bottom. I do give rave reviews to the night staff, especially the manager, who handled the problem for us after we said something about the other guest. So, my advice is check the website and get a decent deal (below $200), then pack your earplugs and partake in their evening wine reception to sweeten the deal. Otherwise, seriously consider your options in Denver.

• Liked — Staff/location
  • Disliked — NOISY!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank librarianroadtrip
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Rooms were clean, fun, and funky. The hotel was in a convenient location. The staff was helpful. This is my favorite place to stay while in Denver.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 18, 2007

The service here is great, however basics like a working thermostat and a good mattress don't seem to matter to this Monaco. I've stayed her a number of times and the "thermostats never work even though I've been told they're being replaced which has yet to happen in two years. It makes for a very uncomfortable stay--along with the cheap mattresses that WILL cause neck and back pain. In Denver, I've moved on -- maybe I'll return at some point...but I'm afraid Kimpton is investing so much in NEW HIP blah blah blah that a good night's sleep is second to the cool bar, or hip lobby...

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank herculepoirot
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed April 3, 2007

The Hotel Monaco, part of the Kimpton Hotel Chain, should be the first hotel on your list in any city that has one. The decor is modern and colorful, and faily consistent between locations. (I have also stayed in Salt Lake and Seattle)

If you have a pooch, then this hotel is PERFECT for you. Denver is certainly a city of active people and active dogs, and the Monaco is expert at tailoring to them. You fido will feel as welcome as you do with his own special welcome bag.

I have stayed at this Monaco probably 10 times, and I always go back.
The service is friendly, the rooms clean and modern, and the location
is right in the middle of it all... well, a block away really.

• Liked — Pet Friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ColoradoMike
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 26, 2007

This hotel was such a find! We just stayed three nights in late March and could not have been happier. While there were several other hotels in the same area (LoDo) that were of equal rating, this one won me over by the "Hip" and interesting extras. It is completely pet-friendly. Each time we would pass thru the lobby, we would see folks with all sorts of pets, big and small. For those of you without pets, the hotel will provide a goldfish to keep you company in your room. At first my guy thought it was a bit gimmicky, but as we were checking out of our room, he actually waved and said goodbye to our new fish friend (we named him "Moby"). While all of the major travel websites quoted approximately the same rate, the hotel's own sight had a special deal. Plus they also have a guarantee that if you find a better rate, they will beat it AND provide some extra perks (late check out, etc.). The rooms are just a beautiful as they show in the pictures on their website. Plus they have free wi-fi in the guest rooms. I would gladly stay at Hotel Monaco again and plan to check out their sister properties in other cities that I visit (including 2 in NYC and 3 in Chicago).

• Liked — Borrowing a pet goldfish for our stay
  • Disliked — Leaving to come home!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple