“Great location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver
Ranked #22 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Don't be put off by the Tripadvisor avg.price/night* displayed - various travel websites offered substantial discounts. We enjoyed 2 nights here at the end of May and were very pleased with the location, so convenient for sightseeing, eating out etc. Our room at the back of the hotel was exceptionally quiet, though we felt that those in rooms close to the 2 elevators or ice machines might tell a very different story.
Parking in the handy lot nearby came to $17 for 24 hours and was an easy 2 minute walk from the hotel entrance.
The 16th Street Mall was better than some posts had suggested, being greatly enlivened by the quirky addition of several pianos, positioned at intervals for anyone wanting to entertain the passing crowds.
A tour of the State Capitol Dome is a great way to orientate, but must usually be reserved in advance.
A $4 trip on the Platte Valley Trolley rewards you with a nice view of Denver's skyline across the river and is a small price to pay to help preserve a piece of history, run by enthusiastic volunteers. What's more, it's right next to the flagship REI store in a beautiful old building, just crammed with interesting stuff.
Would be happy to stay at the Hotel Monaco again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed June 16, 2010

We booked on a discount travel site and got a rate at a fraction of the hotels BAR. We arrived very late, staff was very nice and helpful. When we opened our room door my wife and I burst into laughter ... I have never seen a room so small. We assumed it was because we arrived late and the hotel was full, but another person in our party had a room on a different floor and location and same situation. We also bordered the "fitness room" which consisted of a few exercise machines, it too was small and if combined with our room would be the size of a typical hotel room. The public areas were clean and welcoming with beverages in the lobby during different times of the day. The location also was great being so close to 16th St. Mall. Overall, I didn't mind it too much, added another story to our travels but if I'd paid full rate I wouldn't have been so happy.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I have stayed at nicer hotels in Downtown Denver but would definately stay at the Hotel Monaco again.

Cons: Small rooms, no pool or hot tub etc, very very small work out room, no vending machines, bar closes early.

Pros: Very nice, clean rooms, good location, price was reasonable, good location to all attractions, free internet for being part of Kimpton Inn Touch.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I stayed here for a night while in Denver and was very happy with my experience. It was in a pretty good location, the staff was friendly, and the room was very clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable the bathroom was large and had a great mirror and they offered free wifi in the room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in Denver.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We had originally not planned to stay at Hotel Monaco; however, after a bad experience at another well-known hotel, we were fortunate enough to be able to move to this wonderful hotel. The staff was friendly, helpful, and seemed genuinely interested in our well-being. Walking into the restaurant in the morning, the first thing you smell is wonderful baked bread. We were told the restaurant bakes all its bread, scones, and muffins. There's nothing like freshly baked bread in the morning.

Happy hour in the evening is like spending an evening with good friends. There is wine for the adults, back massages, and video games for the kids. The hotel is pet-friendly and some people brought their dogs down to socialize. All in all, a great experience.

The rooms are lovely, bright, and comfortable. The front desk staff was amazing and eager to recommend good restaurants. Even the parking staff was wonderful, as we did arrive and leave quite frequently with our car. We never had to wait for more than a minute or two.

All in all, this was a great experience. We visit Denver at least once a year and will definitely call the Hotel Monaco our home whenever we are in Denver.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Stayed for a conference at the Colorado Convention Center - an easy 5 minute walk. Room was adequate size, nice decor, bed very comfortable. Staff were extremely friendly and willing to help. Liked the wine reception from 5-6. Breakfast in the restaurant is very good. Internet is free if you are a member of Kimpton's In Touch program. Got a good rate through Expedia.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is a nice hotel in a good location, Lodo. I would have rated it higher normally--the lobby was beautiful in the typically Kimpton-funky way. It, along with the room decor, felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland. I loved the plush animal-print robe and the room was large.

My issues were small but important to me, so here's my hail of bullets: First, I had called weeks in advance (and several times leading up to my stay) to request adjoining rooms. This couldn't be accommodated and I was frustrated. (However, we did receive a complimentary bottle of wine) Second, the toilet and tissue papers were like sand paper. I had a better experience at the gas station. Pretty similar results for the bed linens. While the bed itself was comfortable, the sheets felt stiff and scratchy. Third, my room was adjacent to the elevator. I didn't really notice until starting at six am, I was awoken with the constant dinging of the elevator doors. Fourthly, the shower caulking was pretty stained and the tub didn't drain properly. Neither did the shower fully dispense all the water even though the drain switch was properly pulled into shower-mode. So it felt quite icky showering with my feet in a few inches of water. Other than that, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends