“Fun Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Anselmo, California
“Fun Hotel”
Reviewed February 14, 2007

We stayed here in fall of '06 for 1 night. We were impressed by the size of the junior suite-it was huge. The bathroom seemed small for the size of the rest of the room, but the cool decor made up for that. The lobby area had a great fireplace with a wine hour, there was a masseuse who was giving massages in a massage chair. That was quirky but my husband took advantage of it and loved it. The hotel is in a good location, although relatively deserted on the weekend. The goldfish in the room is a little weird but a funny touch. The ceilings were exceptionally high in the room. The food in the restaurant is Italian and pretty good. The bar area has great booths. We'd stay here again.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank NVRam123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 12, 2007

I attended a Convention in Downtown Denver and found a deal on the Monaco that was the same price as the much lower-quality convention hotels. WOW! I'm so glad I did - this is probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in and I'm a road warrior and world traveler. The rooms are incredible - spacious, great beds, luxury furniture, great sheets & duvets, just wonderful. And they give you a fish if you're lonely! And thn there's Lily Sophris, the Director of Pet Relations and Jack Russell terrier - she's awesome & mad the week so much pleasanter! The staff was great too - they make sure you get the newspaper of your choice, and before long they remember your name! The spa is lovely and the Italian resteraunt downstairs and room service were great too. I just can't say enough about this great place! If you can snag a deal - stay here!

• Liked — Lily the dog
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank snooksinK.C.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 11, 2007

I was recently in Denver for the National Western Stock Show and chose to stay at the Monaco since their room rates were reasonable at the time, their location was excellent and since I enjoyed a stay there previously with my wife.

Room:
Unfortunately, my preferred king was not available so I made do with a double queen. The room was comfortable with plenty of storage for a week's worth of clothes. The bathroom was smallish, but who really cares. I had a view of a parking lot, but what more c an you expect from a downtown hotel. The two annoying things I have to point out...this is an old building...the floow in my room squeaked whenever you walked around. And the walls are kind of thin. I was woken up one night when some wedding goers returned to their room and decided to stay up late yelling and drinking.

Restaurants & Bars:
I ate in the hotel restaurant a couple nights. Excellent food...excellent wait staff. The grilled caesar is great. Plus they had a Jayhawks basketball game on one night. That alone deserves a 5-star rating... The bar had a wide selection of adult beverages and the wine list was pretty nice.

Staff:
The front desk staff were very helpful. The valet ($24 a day!?!? seriously...) runners were always quick to retrieve the truck.

Location:
Downtown near 16th Street Mall. Smack dab in the middle of a warren of one-way streets.

Misc:
For one hour every evening, there is a free wine tasting in the lobby. Would be nice to try different wines each night rather than the same two...hint hint Monaco.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank kujhawk
Denver
Reviewed January 29, 2007

We live in Denver but wanted a couple of nights "away" to really enjoy downtown and some down time. We were willing to pay to stay somewhere that would make my birthday feel special.

We wanted a hotel that would be relaxing but not so luxurious we would feel out of place (we're very casual people). The Hotel Monaco was perfect! The staff were attentive but not intrusive and luxury was defined by the sense that everytime I needed something I would look around and find that it was provided in the room.

The bed was unbelievably comfortable! We enjoyed meeting the resident dog. It was simply a great experience.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnnaEM
St. Louis
Reviewed January 23, 2007

This is a really excellent, client-service oriented hotel. I only stayed one night for business, but it was great. As the previous reviewer noted, the adjacent restaurant was undergoing a renovation and thus there was a very limited room-service menu. However, this was clearly disclosed and I had no problem with it. They gave me great suggestions for a close dinner that needed to be fast (Cafe Rialto) as well as a good breakfast (Sam's #3). The free wine "happy hour" is a nice touch. I enjoyed my stay and will definitely syat again.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank aj_stl
denver
Reviewed January 20, 2007

This hotel is a joke when it comes to service. We stayed there on January 20th and there was no room service available whatsoever. Yet they took our room service order card off the door, as if they were fulfilling the order. Their restaurant that provides room service closed and they have no backup kitchen so no room service. They claimed they tried to call our room to tell us but we had no voicemail message flashing on the phone, so we think they're lying. The flier notifying folks about their restaurant closing did not specify that as of Sunday, all food availability would cease.

To make matters worse, when I talked to the front desk, they didn't automatically OFFER to cut the bill. I had to ASK. Despicable.For 189 a night, no room service? I could have stayed at a Motel 6 for 1/4 of the price and gotten the same thing.

Also, there was a very loud, boisterous party of drunken twenty-somethings on our floor in the middle of the night and management did nothing about it.

Thank Kimpton and Hotel Monaco! You have SO much to be proud of!

• Stayed January 2007
1 Thank audreyport2001
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 15, 2007

I have stayed at the Monaco many times on business, and I feel like it's my second home in Denver. The staff made the extra effort to learn my name and have helped me out with any number of ridiculous requests for office equipment, bulk deliveries of bankers boxes, etc. The location is perfect - walking distance to just about everything. The hotel restaurant is decent too, though light on the vegetarian options (as was 95% of downtown Denver, with the shining exceptions of Wynkoop, the Indian restaurant, and Wahoo's). If you have a little down time, don't miss the wine and cheese happy hours-- you can meet some interesting people.

Stayed January 2007