“Boutique Hotel with Luxury Hotel Service”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver
Ranked #19 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Boutique Hotel with Luxury Hotel Service”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my recent stay at this hotel while on a business trip. The hotel has an excellent location for reaching the 16th St Mall if that's your thing, and the LoDo district.

The staff were hospitable and welcoming. I'm glad I let them talk me into staying for the afternoon wine hour and visiting with other guests. They indulged my request for extra toiletries - with such great L'Occitaine products who can resist? And late night room service was an unexpected convenience when I arrived absurdly late due to a flight delay.

The room, as you can see in the pictures, was whimsical and unique. The pillows were fantastic, but I do wish the mattresses had been the newer pillow tops that most nice hotels have. The mini bar was well-stocked and the prices weren't shockingly high. The hotel offers a bath butler with fairly expensive bath packages, which seemed weird to me since the tubs weren't even garden or jacuzzi tubs, just plain old hotel tubs.

The free wireless internet was fantastic - most nicer hotels make guests pay for this service.

Overall, this was a great place for a business trip and if I'm back in Denver I will definitely return here.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Based on reviews I had read on TripAdvisor I booked a room with a spa tub at the Hotel Monaco to begin our Colorado trip. I wanted to be close to the 16th pedestrian mall and nice accommodations. Hotel Monaco met both of these nicely.

We love to stay at places with some history and charm but don't especially like to then have to deal with the byproducts that sometimes come along with this such as cramped spaces, smells and broken or worn furniture. So we were extremely pleased with how clean, modern and up to date everything was while keeping the charm of the property intact.

We arrived to find out that we were upgraded to a very beautiful suite that still had a spa tub. When we walked in we really liked the bright colors that blended perfectly with the style that one still felt in the room. What also surprised me was how clean the room and the rest of the hotel smelled while still being very pet friendly. We only wished that we could have brought our pup with us.

We only had one problem and that was a water leak that soaked the carpet outside our bathroom yet there was no water inside the bathroom itself. A maintenance engineer showed up within 3 minutes of calling down and determined that there was a problem that needed fixing. The hotel manager stopped by our room to apologize and gave us a nice bottle of wine for our troubles. The front desk worked very hard to make sure we could move to another room. Since there was no other similar rooms available they moved us up several upgrades so that we could still have our spa. What a room! We only wish we could have stayed longer. We enjoyed the staff and the property and will stay here in all of our future trips to Denver.

• Liked — Decor and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sudslover
Chicago
Reviewed July 2, 2008

This is a fun hotel. When you arrive smiles abound and there is a chalk board on the shape of a dog where the current four legged guests are listed. If you don't like dogs, don't stay here!

The rooms are comfortable. I had a standard queen with an interior view. It was great. Huge bathroom, very comfortable bed, and the the leopard robes are a fun touch.

The "bath" menu was cleaver. What I liked about this hotel, is that it is 4 star service with NO attitude. The exceed on the basics and then do it with fun and style. It is a bit quirky, but that is the charm.

I would most definetly return to this propety on future visit to Denver.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank afineguy
Cincinnati Area
Reviewed June 24, 2008

A pet goldifsh in your room?
A shih tzu in the lobby to greet you?
Free overnight shoe shine?
Choice of four bubble baths (for a paltry $40)?
Both nightwear (yes, several sizes) and robes available for you to purchase right from the closet?
Vegetable soap bars?

Did I just overshoot Denver and end up in San Francisco?

It's a really ritzy little boutique hotel called the Hotel Monaco in Downtown Denver. One block from the 16th Street Mall, the Monaco surprised me with both opulence and gimmickry. The rooms are nice... tall ceilings and appointed well, despite their compact size. The hotel is an older one, meaning that most of the rooms have a great view of a wall or a parking garage. Just leave the blinds drawn and enjoy the comfort. There is a great bed... lots of pillows for your selection... some really expensive stuff in the frig and on the snack tray. (Walgreens is two blocks away and has all that stuff at a fraction of the cost.) And the people are kind and accommodating.

What really blew me away was when I dined in their Italian restaurant downstairs. The place is called Panzano and features the creations of Chef Elise Wiggins. I had the most wonderful veal of my life. I proposed to the chef, but I didn't have a ring on me at the time, and she wanted one really badly. Thanks for great food in a very attentive atmosphere, Elise.

Pricey? What isn't in the downtown of a major city? But yes, it was a little more than I would have liked to have afforded, but there were few choices because of some convention in town that week.

I did not find a problem with noise in the hotel, though they do have a funny way of putting ice machines on only the odd-numbered floors.

• Liked — No one thing stood out more than the restaurant.
  • Disliked — View of a parking garage
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank A_Fair_Reviewer
Darien, CT
Reviewed June 7, 2008

One of my better corporate stays in a while. Service was friendly and competent at every stage, from valet to desk to room service. Hotel was clean and convenient. Wine hour in the evening is a nice gesture, even if I didn't take advantage myself. Lots of others did. Am usually very loyal to hotel reward points, but would go out-of-network to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelMonacoDenver, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this review, June 13, 2008
Dear mrshortpants,
Just wanted to drop you note and let you know we appreciate your kind comments about the Hotel Monaco Denver! I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to you staying with us again!!

Hotel Monaco Denver
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I live in Denver and stay at the Monaco on occasion for fun and when I don't feel like driving or when I just simply feel like splurging. It's walking distance to a lot of the trendier, yet more refined late-night hangouts downtown. So if you aren't into the 'meat market' scene and you feel like taking in a night on the town without the hassle of making the trek home afterwards, it's great.

Also great for out-of-towners who want to enjoy good food and drink but want to avoid a mass of twenty-two-year-olds sweating all over them in an over crowded club pumping out of date techno tracks into tired ear drums after a long day's work. Both business travelers and trendy tourists alike will enjoy. After all, each room comes equipped with your very own LIVE gold fish for crying out loud!

This is Denver. It's known for relaxing, casual, edginess. And Hotel Monaco sums that up well with its trendy decor, friendly and knowledgeable staff, more than ample accommodations, and great location.

I'll never hesitate to revisit and it never disappoints.

• Liked — Ambiance, staff
  • Disliked — price was a tad too high
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank D R
Washington, DC Area
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 2 nights while I attended a conference at the Convention Center. I arrived early--a bit before noon. Luckily I was able to check in, but the only room available was an accessible room. This was fine, but it did make showering a bit tricky given the low-standing nozzle.

Every comment on the rooms being nicely furnished, I found to be true. The downtown location is also nice. But unfortunately I ran into some problems. My first night I could not get a good night's rest because people on my floor started congregating in the hallway and blaring loud music. The walls in the Monaco are really thin. So if you are expected a "quiet floor"...just hope your neighbors are also quiet people. And unfortunately I think this was a case of clientele not only expecting to be treated like "rock stars" or VIP (which the hotel staff does a good job of helping you live that image) but acting like them as well. I also had a hard time reaching room service, so I endedup leaving the hotel for a quick bite downtown. But I reported this issue in a Monaco stay survey and the hotel manager emailed me back a week later with an acceptable conciliatory offer. It's good to see that they are serious about customer service.

Overall, I think this hotel is a nice boutique hotel. It has nice touches luxuries some hotels lack. The hotel restaurant, Panzano, was superb. However, if you a business traveler (as I was) and have an expectation of a certain hotel vibe while you travel (beyond free wi-fi service), the Monaco might not meet your needs.

• Liked — Friendly staff, Panzano restaurant
  • Disliked — Thin hotel walls
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business